Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storms February 2014

Coast

Amber warnings everywhere for the south, rain and wind. A serious situation that is only going to get worse surely.

Current situation as of 6am. Storm still at 951mb with occluded fronts bringing more heavy rain and showers to many places, a lot of rain here this morning. Also tomorrow's system winding up and heading our way, more heavy and persistent rain across south/central parts likely

Posted Image

Get ready for the next surge of gales in the SW, focussed on S Wales, N Devon Cornwall and parts of S England coast. This for 3pm:

Posted Image

Edited by Bobby
  • Like 2

Posted

I am sure those with really serious problems will be sympathetic, perhaps, with your post. Not a sensible or caring post in my view with all the major issues for so many thousands of people since before Christmas. Maybe a bit more though t before posting in future?

Nee-naa-nee-naa... look out,look out - the weather police are about. Anticipating similar comments about those who go thousands of miles and thousands of pounds out of their way to watch those harmless twisters in the US Midwest. Jeez - anyone would think the weather was my fault! Twas meant as a slightly humorous description of the state of play in my locale, by the way, with absolutely no malice intended or implied.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

The storm last night was awful, even here in a relatively sheltered part of Exeter (though I am on a hill). Why on earth are so many resources being pumped into building new railway lines from London (where I live for half the year by the way) when down here in the South West we keep getting these periods of stormy weather which paralyse our road and rail networks! As I exciting as storms are, the fact that large parts of Somerset are underwater and whole sections of the coast have been rendered unusable, thus cutting off major routeways, is very sobering indeed, and is a reminder that behind all the charts and computer models, people's lives are at stake. My appreciation of weather forecasting has never been greater!

Edited by Joe Levy
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Posted Image

Southern England.. Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

I think this will be the mother of all the Winter storms we've had in this part of Southern England, some good consensus right now on this one being a very deep system. Hopefully it will be the last ferocious storm for a while too. Posted Image Sorry storm lovers but at some stage, our part of the UK will need a break in order to get those urgently needed repairs under way. Posted Image Of course, I may well be wrong and Mother Nature will do what she does best, which is largely ignore us folk's plight down on the ground. Some entertaining weather to come, that is for sure.

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Amber warnings for rain extended to Saturday now for parts of the south

Issued at: 1054 on Wed 5 Feb 2014

Valid from: 1500 on Thu 6 Feb 2014

Valid to: 2300 on Sat 8 Feb 2014

Further spells of heavy and persistent rain will affect southern parts of England and south Wales from Thursday afternoon until Friday morning, and again from late Friday evening until early Saturday followed by frequent heavy showers. Gales will accompany the rain during Saturday with severe gales likely for exposed coasts in southwest England. The public should be prepared for disruption due to flooding.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

Another area of low pressure will bring spells of heavy rain to southern England from Thursday afternoon to Friday morning, with 20-40 mm of rain falling widely. A further Atlantic frontal system will bring a band of rain quickly eastwards during Friday night and early Saturday, with the heaviest rain again likely to be across parts of southern England, followed in turn by heavy showers. Another 10-20 mm of rain and locally 30 mm will fall in the Amber area, leading to further flooding. Winds will also be a feature during Friday night and Saturday with severe gales possible around coasts in the southwest of England.

Areas affected by this amber warning

Swindon, Wiltshire, Bath and North East Somerset, Somerset, Devon, Dorset, Bournemouth, Poole, Torbay, North Somerset, South Gloucestershire, Bristol

Medway, Kent, Surrey, Bracknell Forest, Oxfordshire, Windsor and Maidenhead, Wokingham, Hampshire, Reading, West Berkshire, East Sussex, Southampton, West Sussex, Brighton and Hove, Isle of Wight, Portsmouth, Buckinghamshire

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&regionName=se&fcTime=1391731200

• Like 1

I think this will be the mother of all the Winter storms we've had in this part of Southern England, some good consensus right now on this one being a very deep system. Hopefully it will be the last ferocious storm for a while too. Posted Image Sorry storm lovers but at some stage, our part of the UK will need a break in order to get those urgently needed repairs under way. Posted Image Of course, I may well be wrong and Mother Nature will do what she does best, which is largely ignore us folk's plight down on the ground. Some entertaining weather to come, that is for sure.

This does look very bad, not only that but just look how tight that gradient is.. Any convection added in will = some mighty winds!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

This does look very bad, not only that but just look how tight that gradient is.. Any convection added in will = some mighty winds!

Agreed Surrey, yes the pressure gradients (tightening of actual isobars in relation to the centre of the low) themselves are perhaps more noteworthy than the actual depth of the low. Of real concern is the fact there will be very little respite for those exposed coasts and coastal villages which WILL be under assault for several days to come. The Fax Charts between 0000 hours on Saturday 8th February right through to 1200 hours Sunday 9th February show an unrelenting SW'rly flow right now, which is a battering for 36 hours continuous. Posted Image I may have also spoken too soon, with regard to early next week as well. Gordon Bennett. Posted Image

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, tornados

My god its absolutely hammering it down here, the road is a torrent of water

Posted Image

Edited by Cyclonic
  • Like 2

Agreed Surrey, yes the pressure gradients (tightening of actual isobars in relation to the centre of the low) themselves are perhaps more noteworthy than the actual depth of the low. Of real concern is the fact there will be very little respite for those exposed coasts and coastal villages which WILL be under assault for several days to come. The Fax Charts between 0000 hours on Saturday 8th February right through to 1200 hours Sunday 9th February show an unrelenting SW'rly flow right now, which is a battering for 36 hours continuous. Posted Image I may have also spoken too soon, with regard to early next week as well. Gordon Bennett. Posted Image

Check out next week... Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

The sea at Freshwater Bay has flooded the road and the car park. A section of wall and a bench seat were washed over 1 hour before high tide. 

Some boats have been tipped over, there are lots of things washing up, including yet another dead dolphin, although that was washes away again after 10 minutes.

The worst is now over I think, but the sea state is still full on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunder, sunny days

Any suggestions please what sort of wind speeds are currently predicted for the SE area on Saturday?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, tornados
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Saturday's winds look set to bring another battering to Cornwall/DEvon, although the Southerly is brief, veering to Westerly later so could be north Devon and north coast of Cornwall bearing the brunt, although fair way off. If low goes south, worse will be through the Channel, wouldn't want to be on ferry at any point this weekend

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

Wow Cyclonic, those photos are amazing! We have a had a series of events which should make us think. Sometimes the forces of nature are insurmountable. We have chosen to live and built in places where nature is in charge. We have dammed, culverted, concreted and drained landscapes which should be left alone. I like the capacity of nature to put us in our place, humility is something we have lost. Cold, horrid words if your house is flooded right now, but...Posted Image

Edited by Spikecollie
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

Saturday's winds look set to bring another battering to Cornwall/DEvon, although the Southerly is brief, veering to Westerly later so could be north Devon and north coast of Cornwall bearing the brunt, although fair way off. If low goes south, worse will be through the Channel, wouldn't want to be on ferry at any point this weekend

Hmmm! I have colleagues in Normandie who use the ferries as a matter of course to go to and from work in the UK and France. I don't know how they do it. Stories of "hoving to" for 12 hours off the French or UK coast makes my stomach (well, you know). I've had ghastly crossings in summer and would never book a winter one. Folks have laughed on here when I say I'm flying back to the UK this Saturday, but it's infinitely better even when it's rough...

Posted

The next storm will be coming saturday 8th 

Posted Image

Monday 10th could be something to watch but ts unlikely that it will impact the uk 

Posted Image

Tuesday 11th may be something to watch too but it a minor storm at the moment but things may change.

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I was at Studland, opposite Sandbanks earlier, taking some pics etc.. I could see how rough the sea was on the south-facing side of Sandbanks, somebody took a pic of a marker bout that had snapped off and washed up, they've been there for donkey's years! Posted Image

post-15177-0-19886700-1391612263_thumb.j

• Like 2

Posted

Its going to be a long time before trains can run between Exeter St Davids and Penzance given the damage below at Dawlish

Posted Image

Current estimate is between four and six weeks

• Like 5

Posted

Villagers Ordered To Evacuate Over Flood Threat

People living in three villages have been told to leave their homes as the country is battered by heavy rain and high winds. Residents in Northmoor, Saltmoor and Fordgate have been recommended to evacuate by Avon and Somerset Police. A rest centre has been set up at North Petherton bowling club to take in those affected. Police added they would use the skyshout system - a public address system - attached to a helicopter to alert residents. It comes as thousands of homes remain without power in southwest England, Wales and Ireland.

With nine severe flood warnings in place and transport networks in some areas seriously affected by weather, David Cameron announced he would be holding a crisis meeting on the situation. The Prime Minister said that the Â£100m would be spent over the next year - Â£75m will fund repairs, £15m will go on maintenance and £10m has been earmarked for "urgent work" in Somerset. He earlier tweeted that the Environment Secretary, Owen Paterson  "is doing an excellent job". Hundreds of Western Power Distribution staff have been working to restore power to homes in the South West. Mr Cameron said up to 8,000 are still without electricity, down from around 60,000. The company's Phil Davies told Sky News: "There are still lots of problems out there, we are still working at it and we are importing staff from Wales and the Midlands."

http://news.sky.com/story/1206599/villagers-ordered-to-evacuate-over-flood-threat

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms

I know this is a surfing website but the images and video says it all....

Strike Four on Saturday is an absolute monster, forecast to be the largest and perhaps most damaging yet with poor surfing prospects. Similar to today’s storm it’s likely to do little but wreak havoc on already hard pressed communities in Northern Europe.  It’s hard to maintain unbridled passion for surf in the face of severe coastal destruction. Take a moment to reflect on the damage and, perhaps, hope that enough is enough for this winter at least.

The story of these recent swells is one of coastal destruction. Where Hercules set up prime surfing conditions in much of Europe, these storms which followed have brought little in the way of great surf for most of us. Instead we’ve witnessed the continuing rapid erosion of sand and cliffs, direct damage to structures and buildings, and ongoing coastal flooding. Much of this is attributed only indirectly to the giant waves but much more a function of huge astronomical tides (caused by the alignment of moon and sun and the moon being particularly close to the Earth) and as importantly a large storm surge.

This surge is set up by three main mechanisms associated with the giant storms that have created such large waves and strong winds: the first is simply the low pressure in the storm lifting the surface of the water above its normal level. Secondly the wind (gusting up to 90mph near the coast here) creates a ‘wind set-up’ – simply pushing water in front of it towards the coast. Thirdly the waves themselves generate a rise in the sea level as they break in shallow water. Where the past couple of storms have seen tides near their absolute maximum, today’s storm arrived with a more typical spring range tide. None the less taking these extra effects into consideration we saw coastal defences breached and considerable additional damage.

The only good news for coastal communities already suffering is a return to neap tides almost 1.5m/5ft smaller than we saw at the peak of that last swell which should go some way to mitigating wave action.

Forecast heights at peak of the swell at Sennen / Seven Stones Lightship, Cornwall, England

Hercules (6th Jan): 28ft@21 seconds
Take Two (1st Feb): 28ft@19 seconds
Brigid (5th Feb): 30ft@18 seconds
Strike Four (8th Feb): 35ft@19 seconds

*Anyone surfing/shooting this storm or interested in press please email ed@magicseaweed.com.

For images and video of a fishing boat and also a cargo ship crash please see the link below.

http://magicseaweed.com/news/atlantic-strike-four-incoming/6057/

• Like 3

Posted

6/1 on the bookies that this month is wettest FEB on record..

Its also odds on no droughts will be declared this year