Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storms February 2014

Coast

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

What time is this please as there's not time on it? I really think this is affecting coastal area's and flood prone area's more than anything and they really have my sympathy and I may live to eat my words but I live in Exeter, Devon and yes it is very windy and raining but it's not that strong here so far.... I think in regards to the winds, i've been keeping an eye on the netweather top 20 wind and gusts and it seems that inland area's had around 55mph which is just a regular winter gale.....I live in Devon which is in the southwest and from my experience it really hasn't been that bad so far, this was a coastel event and added salt to the injury of flood prone area's.Chill out, I'm sure that person didn't mean any malice.

I think we have a different take on the wording then,i detect a sarcastic tone,'a whats the big deal elemant'. Maybe your in a sheltered spot? I have friends just inland of Falmouth and they have no power and trees down,so your report on Devon not universal. Edited by sunnijim
  • Like 2

Posted

I think we have a different take on the wording then,i detect a sarcastic tone,'a whats the big deal elemant'. Maybe your in a sheltered spot? I have friends just inland of Falmouth and they have no power and trees down,so your report on Devon not universal.

But then Falmouth is not universal is it. Not all Devon has been affected so why not report on that as well without getting slammed for it

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

The sea is really packing a destructive punch at the moment, that railway line in Dawlish won't be mended quickly, it will take months. There is talk of closing the coastal route and reopening a long closed route North of Dartmoor, not immediately but in the long term. 

The wind is intensifying again here, high tide for me is 13:14, after the storm passes the coastal cliffs will have changed yet again this winter.

Rain at least has not been a problem here yet.

This is Dawlish now https://twitter.com/sophiepierce/status/430998381398614016/photo/1

• Like 3

Posted

But then Falmouth is not universal is it. Not all Devon has been affected so why not report on that as well without getting slammed for it

your clearly on a wind up! As you are unable to post anything constructive and would rather just 'muddy the waters',i have to reply re my post to twistergirl. There is no 'slamming'going on i was pointing out some parts of Devon have it worse than twistergirls,and some parts are inland of the coast. Edited by sunnijim
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms

Guys the storm is outside not inside Posted Image, now who wants coffee? I know I do been awake since 4am listening to the gales/gusts and heavy rains, not much else happening here in Dublin but for the west, southwest and southeast of Ireland it seems to be a bit of a nightmare by media reports.

15,000 without power amid further flooding

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0204/502262-weather-flooding/ 

• Like 2

Posted

Can I ask how is Eastbourne, more specifically Sovereign Harbour is fairing in all this, has there been any flooding, if anyone is nearby? Thanks for your help, Sarah

Seems ok at the moment a few minor roads are a bit dicey but main roads are ok

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

I think we have a different take on the wording then,i detect a sarcastic tone,'a whats the big deal elemant'. Maybe your in a sheltered spot? I have friends just inland of Falmouth and they have no power and trees down,so your report on Devon not universal.

Umm falmouth is right on the tip of Cornwall, they were always forecasted going to get it worse....For me where I live in Exeter it hasn't been a big event per se but for Cornwall especially, coastel areas and flood prone area's it has.  There was no sarcastic tone, just reported how it was for Exeter as I'm sure the other poster was basing his experience on....This is not to make light of those area's that are more exposed who have been battered by waves, wind or had unwanted rainfull due to living in flood prone area's etc

Edited by TwisterGirl81
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Guys the storm is outside not inside Posted Image, now who wants coffee? I know I do been awake since 4am listening to the gales/gusts and heavy rains, not much else happening here in Dublin but for the west, southwest and southeast of Ireland it seems to be a bit of a nightmare by media reports.

15,000 without power amid further flooding

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0204/502262-weather-flooding/ 

Welcome to netweather Luke, take care out there.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

I can see why the Police have declared a major indecent in Dawlish, those houses will not remain long by the looks of things.

The Storm on Saturday will make any damage worse, I think this event in Dawlish has not finished and because of the weather and sea state, the coastal defenses damaged today will be difficult to repair before more damage occurs.

A situation like this not even the army could work on until the the storms back off long enough to get equipment on and arround the tide line. There is no way to limit the damage I can see that is quick straight forward. Maybe large boulders could be dropped in front of the wall to limit the spread of the collapses but getting them there is the problem. The waves basically vibrate and hydraulic fracture at the same time, sea walls that start "resonating" turn semi-solid and fall into the C shape void, the walls that hold fast longest tend to be the, newest now ain't that a surprise

Anyway there are experts on the job, good luck to them and Dawlish. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

That little bomb developing just north of the Azores now showing signs of deepening. Well south at the moment with a powerful jet in toe , looks to have Southern England in its sight. This is ripe for a particularly unstable air mass in its circulation (ie) powerful winds and heavy rainfall totals for the Southwest, particularly.

C

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms

Welcome to netweather Luke, take care out there.

Thank you very much, I have been here before in the past along with many other weather forums I won't give names due to rules ect ect, I use a lot of tools provided by netweather, mostly for winter depressions and of course Thunderstorm season my favorite :).

I'll be very careful been out and about thank you for your concern and like wise to you and everybody else here included.

Thanks again.

• Like 2

Posted

Umm falmouth is right on the tip of Cornwall, they were always forecasted going to get it worse....For me where I live in Exeter it hasn't been a big event per se but for Cornwall especially, coastel areas and flood prone area's it has.  There was no sarcastic tone, just reported how it was for Exeter as I'm sure the other poster was basing his experience on....This is not to make light of those area's that are more exposed who have been battered by waves, wind or had unwanted rainfull due to living in flood prone area's etc

Sorry twistergirl,i was refering to the post we quoted,not yours..wires crossed i think!.Anyway,the wind event was always going to be worse on the coasts of Devon and cornwall,think yourself lucky...although with a username like yours i guess you like the extremes?Here in London we have just started to increase those gusts.45mph in the last 30mins.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

Sorry twistergirl,i was refering to the post we quoted,not yours..wires crossed i think!.Anyway,the wind event was always going to be worse on the coasts of Devon and cornwall,think yourself lucky...although with a username like yours i guess you like the extremes?Here in London we have just started to increase those gusts.45mph in the last 30mins.

No problem ;)  Yes I do like extremes, i find it fasinating but just not any danger side and people getting hurt.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, tornados

Bad night here, have slept only about 4 hours, pretty big leek in my kitchen from the rain last night which blew my electrics in one part of my house (and still no idea where it is coming from and now have water gathering behind the wallpaper too) Posted Image

Will a lot more rain forecast things will only just get worse for many people

The sea is roaring this morning with high tide due later, i shall not even be going to have a look

As for the island like rustynailer said it now looks very different around the coastal area, Yaverland has had some huge cliff fails past couple of months, Shanklin also, when the weather has improved i shall do a photo blog of the islands damage and post it on the Forum, but here are some pictures of storm damage in my house and of the island (sorry for links with the islands one). Lots of damage but i still smile everyday when i get up as it can be repaired and forgotten about...Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t1/1625511_792248584122834_1068503330_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/t1/1800431_792250687455957_177509532_n.jpg

http://www.islandecho.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/lakecliffgardensclifffall2.jpg

http://www.islandecho.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/lakecliffgardensclifffall.jpg

Morning stats

976.0mb (falling 1.5mb/hr)

Max gust 38.6mph (last hour)

Temp 8.2c

Soil moisture 17.0cb

Dew point 4.7c

Humidity 80%

The rain radar does not look promising, some pretty heavy rain expected.

http://estofex.org/

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Stay safe guys

Edited by Cyclonic
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Right, I'm off for a trip somewhere, might head down  to Swanage myself or perhaps to Studland, Poole Barbour entrance. I need my fix!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

I hope people are not planning to catch a train to see the damaged rail-line at Dawlish. Erm

https://twitter.com/sophiepierce/status/430998381398614016/photo/1

That journey is so wonderful during calmer times, but i guess a price to be paid for putting rail tracks, right next to the ocean

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

What I find startling is that according to the GEFS 0z spreads the mean and control Air Pressure readings don't rise above 1000mb until the 17th February at the earliest. Suffice to say, it will often be stormy, wild and wet with only brief drier interludes for at least the next 8 to 10 days based on this continuing trend.

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 4