Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storms February 2014

Coast

What pressure are you guys reading? We're on 993 and still to really get going here by the looks of the radar.

982mb here, which fits pretty well with this forecast. http://meteocentre.com/analyses/map.php?date=0〈=fr&area=uk&size=standard

Quite surprising that an amber wasn't released earlier on, not very often you see windspeeds this high down in the south. Stay safe everyone!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Windy, rumbly, flashy or snowy.

In Weston-super-Mare pressure is now 975 and still falling since 10am this morning. Wind is still SE and bloomin' scary. Stay safe ya'll.

Posted

Wind has been picking up here over the past couple of hours, getting some stronger gusts in the last 30minutes, hoping we dont get this storm too badly as it moves across the uk, house is very exposed

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

It's all quiet now in Exeter....the highest gust we had was 58mph I think, maybe tomorrow the wind will be worse...I guess Cornwall and Coastal area's got it worse tonight

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

The fact Thursdays rain seems to now be shunting further North is quite troubling. This means that respite between these heavy bands/blobs of rain over the next few days have been reduced to a matter of hours rather than a day for those already badly affected....as if extra rain wasn't bad enough...

This persisting pattern goes on...

Edited by Chris K

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

There is a second swathe of strong winds to come tomorrow, from 4am, as the core of the low moves NE across Ireland, the strongest winds on southern flank of low across SW England, Wales, up the Irish Sea and along southern Channel counties. The gusts aren't indicated to be any stronger than tonight's first swathe (along occluded front moving N and E), as the low will start to fill tomorrow with the squeeze on the isobars slowly relaxing as the low heads NE. But we could still see isol 80mph+ across the SW of England, SW Wales, 70mph along southern and western coasts of Wales and England, 50-60mph inland tomorrow morning before winds ease into the afternoon.

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

Worst of the winds, tend to be on the south flank of the low

The winds are yet to shift around to the south-west, so after a lull... it's going to be round 2, in the case of the wind

Do not 'unfasten' those hatches, just yet Posted Image

Posted
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...
  • Weather Preferences: jack frost
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...

another bulls eye !Posted Image

Edited by be cause

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Windy, rumbly, flashy or snowy.

Pressure drop stopped at 975hPa now. Starting to slowly climb again. Thank goodness. Think part of my roof has run away.

Actually no, dropping to 973 now.

Edited by elfinpunk

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

Got reports of Hotel in Newquay, roof partially blown off.

A lot of reports of tree's down, and damage.

Warnings should have gone amber earlier today, imo

Look

---

Ben Rich â€@ben_rich 1h

No trains AT ALL in Cornwall and much of Devon until at least 9am tomorrow due to the #ukstorm: http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk

Still perplexed why amber warning is only from Isle of Wight eastwards

Edited by stevofunnelcl
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, thunder and lightning.

I've just got back from taking the little one to her bus and oh my, those winds are painful. My face was throbbing within minutes. Icy rain is lashing down, winds really blowing. What a day!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Don't be fooled by this brief lul.. It's coming back with vengeance!

Posted Imagewind.jpg

No lull here, averages of 50mph, gusting to 65mph just a few miles from me. Edited by Mapantz

I am sure those with really serious problems will be sympathetic, perhaps, with your post. Not a sensible or caring post in my view with all the major issues for so many thousands of people since before Christmas. Maybe a bit more though t before posting in future?

Very well said just because a storm does not come knocking on your door does not mean that it is making lives harder for others..

Looking at Thursday and the weekend I am beginning to worry as my garden is now flooding due to the lake at the back of my house over flowing..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Absolutely horrendous around here - there's annoying puddles all over the place and next door's gate in swinging in the wind. That's how bad it is.

What a comedian.your point is? You dont have it bad so whats all the fuss? Check this mornings news coverage,if anything folk in the SW of England may think warnings were underplayed last night.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

The sea is really packing a destructive punch at the moment, that railway line in Dawlish won't be mended quickly, it will take months. There is talk of closing the coastal route and reopening a long closed route North of Dartmoor, not immediately but in the long term. 

The wind is intensifying again here, high tide for me is 13:14, after the storm passes the coastal cliffs will have changed yet again this winter.

Rain at least has not been a problem here yet.

Edited by Rustynailer
  • Like 2

Posted

I am sure those with really serious problems will be sympathetic, perhaps, with your post. Not a sensible or caring post in my view with all the major issues for so many thousands of people since before Christmas. Maybe a bit more though t before posting in future?

To be fair to Laserguy though he's reporting for his area and it's probably true what he's experiencing in his area. I'm in Southampton at the moment and its a bit gusty, no rain and if I hadn't been on here or read Metoffice warnings, would have just assumed it was a normal windy/showery day that you associate winter with.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

Don't be fooled by this brief lul.. It's coming back with vengeance!

Posted Imagewind.jpg

What time is this please as there's not time on it? 

I really think this is affecting coastal area's and flood prone area's more than anything and they really have my sympathy and I may live to eat my words but I live in Exeter, Devon and yes it is very windy and raining but it's not that strong here so far.... 

I think in regards to the winds, i've been keeping an eye on the netweather top 20 wind and gusts and it seems that inland area's had gusts of around 55mph which is just a regular winter gale.....

What a comedian.your point is? You dont have it bad so whats all the fuss? Check this mornings news coverage,if anything folk in the SW of England may think warnings were underplayed last night.

I live in Devon which is in the southwest and from my experience it really hasn't been that bad so far, this was a coastel event and added salt to the injury of flood prone area's.

Chill out, I'm sure that person didn't mean any malice.

Edited by TwisterGirl81
  • Like 3