IGNORED

Atlantic Storms February 2014

Coast

Posted

Cornwall facing the largest waves in the World tomorrow:

Posted ImageSea_05-02-14_World.JPGPosted ImageSea_05-02-14_0600.JPG

And again on Saturday:

Posted ImageSea_08-02-14_1200.JPG

Yikes.....I've booked this house in Coverack, Cornwall for a week's holiday in late spring.

post-1808-0-83708200-1391512732_thumb.jp

....will it still be there??.....I hope that I won't need to change my plans

• Like 1

Posted

You sure it's still there now? Posted Image Let alone after this weeks onslaught 

I'll give you their number ....they're probably offering a discount for this week!!

......and think of the photo opportunities!Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Looking forward to this next batch of stormy weather! I've already been treated to a feast this season but it's making me hungry for more.

Tomorrow is looking like a wild day, not onlya from winds but bands of squally showers pushing through, so hail, thunder & lightning, and maybe the odd funnel cloud thrown in too.

I might head to my usual haunt tomorrow, get a few wind readings, watch the sea etc.. :)

• Like 3

Posted

Where are you staying?

A bit inland, a mile or two, at one of the holday parks, Mullacot, so I hope to escape the worst of it (not that I'm expecting anything good from it, either :D )

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/

Met Office have a warning for Thursday-Friday's low now. Not an especially stormy low but will be carrying a lot of heavy rain and could stall as it slides over affected areas, not good, especially combined with all the other rain from the other storms.

ECM shows the SW taking a hit

Posted Image

GEM is ugly as is UKMO

Posted Image  Posted ImageUKMO Posted Image

Edited by Bobby

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

Scilly St Marys

Already, mean wind speed - 43

Gust - 54

The wind is rising !!

Interesting to see some lightning strikes showing on the front - further down to the south

Edited by stevofunnelcl

Posted

Cornwall facing the largest waves in the World tomorrow:

Posted ImageSea_05-02-14_World.JPGPosted ImageSea_05-02-14_0600.JPG

And again on Saturday:

Posted ImageSea_08-02-14_1200.JPG

Are those the wave heights of waves coming onto shore, or further out to sea? Either way, it's pretty scary!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Non Destructive Near My House

Nice to see Scotlands weather seems to have moved to the south of england this year. Must be plenty happy storm enthusiasts down there.

• Like 3

Posted

Are those the wave heights of waves coming onto shore, or further out to sea? Either way, it's pretty scary!

A 40 ft wave would probably break in water approx 50-55 ft deep, so way past paddling area !

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Windstorm, Thunderstorm, Heavy Squally, Blustery Winds

There will be lots of amounts up to 50-200mm of rainfall over the next few days but really a nasty out there. It's a very heavy squally showers out there for this weekend and into next week.

Posted Image

Edited by Storm Track

Posted

Met Office now have warnings out for the entire SW area for the next 5 days - I don't recall having seen that before (for 5 consecutive days).

• Like 2

Met Office now have warnings out for the entire SW area for the next 5 days - I don't recall having seen that before (for 5 consecutive days).

Seems they are more confident on Thursday's system now, extended the warning area to SW England and S Wales. Close an amber warning on the matrix, should expect one if confidence increases.

Computer models have moved into much better agreement now for this weather system but unfortunately the most likely outcome is not good news. This means that there is now increased confidence in a period of persistent rain, which may bring a fairly widespread 15 to 25 mm to the areas covered by the warning, possibly around 30 mm in some southern counties. This rain, falling so soon after the previous batch (see warnings for Wednesday), seems likely to exacerbate problems with flooding, especially as further heavy rain seems very likely early on Saturday - again see the separate warning.

Close to an amber warning on Saturday too. Quite unprecedented this weather.

I think a very serious situation is developing.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Storm after storm it looks like this week and they are mentioning Saturday could be worse yet with 80-90mph winds somewhere over the UK?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Nothing much more I can add in terms of saying how serious the next 7 days is looking..

I walked up the garden earlier, I'm sure I heard my weather station saying wtf?!$#&@%# LOL

I'm intrigued by Thurs/Fri rain event, obviously totals will be high but it's the widespread intensity of it over a 12 hour period.

The NMM has this for 24hrs..

post-15177-0-27393700-1391524771_thumb.p

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

It has been windy all day and the sea is rough and full of sediment and patches flotsam here and there,  it is chalky white at the base of the white chalk sea cliffs as they slowly wash away. 

Rescue helicopters whizzing about every so often I have noticed, also some winching activity near the Needles, when it gets bad later on I will stay in out of this lot, it is obvious the storm inbound is going to make the coast very dangerous.

Looks like tomorrow morning will be hard work for drivers around here.....

Saturdays storm looks like it is a higher order of storm intensity and longer lasting to me, the sea will be frightening then I think. 

We were eating our dinner earlier on the sea wall car park at Totland in the shelter of The Solent, the waves were hitting the wall and shaking the car!

I will stay in on Saturday with out a doubt.

Edited by Rustynailer
  • Like 4