Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storms February 2014

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

I don't see this storm being as strong as the one around christmas as I'm sure there were forecast widespread inland gusts of 60-70mph then. From what I can see on the Met Office the gusts are only actually showing to be between 40-55mph Tuesday night into Wednesday.

This got me a bit confused, as we get these winds once every year and it isn't anything too unusual.

Edited by wimblettben

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

I don't see this storm being as strong as the one around christmas as I'm sure there were forecast widespread inland gusts of 60-70mph then. From what I can see on the Met Office the gusts are only actually showing to be between 40-55mph Tuesday night into Wednesday.

This got me a bit confused, as we get these winds once every year and it isn't anything too unusual.

It all depends where you are.

At the Coast around here more erosion has taken place in the last week, than all of December and all the rest of January up till 7 days ago, put together. The sea is positively Sharklike at the moment, don't trust it, it'll grab you waist height without warning and your a gonner, all around these Southern Coastal parts of the UK, ATM it is very turbulant and unpredictable because of the weather loading on the sea.. Things are washing up from far away, all memorable storms have a habit of doing this. One of our stone sea marks moved today Hannover artillery target/sea mark has started leaning. It has been there since Queen Victora ruled an Empire, they used to shoot at it with 6" guns from Freshwater Redoubt. 

Channel storms  build up, 1703 the sea built up, etc.

The direction of these systems, how they arrive and what the sea is already doing.... Are all factors for us down here. The way the Wind crosses the sea at point of impact is crucial to ones comfort

In Wiltshire it most probably will be felt as yet another windy LOW of this winter.

Which is fine, I live here because it is interesting and the Weather is great for me (sorry everybody but I like dangerous weather), even though it may cost me money through damage I am still looking forwards to tomorrows storm.

Hope you enjoy tomorrow in Wiltshire.

Regards

Edited by Rustynailer
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Well the band of rain has been stalled in the Irish Sea most of the day, was meant to have made inroads by now but it's just dying a death in situ like it's hit a brick wall. Been another pretty windy day with gusts topping 50-55mph and it's still  blowing strong. Latest model runs have downgraded the wind potential here for tomorrow night with gusts likely to reach 55mph or so, much like today. 

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Slowly moving north east now. Probably arrive sometime in the morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

This is not your usual Atlantic depression.. 948mbs the central core of the low at this time tomorrow, the second lowest pressure reading with-in a couple of months or soPosted Image

post-6830-0-53042100-1391457521_thumb.pn

Posted

One thing stuck right out today, how cold it was considering the wind is from the South.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Yeah it's felt raw today, 6.7c max and when you add in 50mph winds it felt decidedly nippy! Hat and gloves were needed. 

Wednesday's storm currently in the Atlantic gaining power each hour before it arrives on Tuesday evening,

post-6686-0-54978500-1391457665_thumb.pn

post-6686-0-07520300-1391457742_thumb.pn

6pm on Tuesday the wind across Ireland, SW England and Wales will see wind speeds increase quickly with 50 to 60mph gusts possible. The SW coasts of England are at risk of seeing higher gusts around 70mph or even slightly higher,

post-6686-0-31848300-1391457930_thumb.pn

post-6686-0-84730300-1391457936_thumb.pn

At 12am on Wednesday the winds will ease slightly but there will be widespread gusts of 40 to 50mph across all of the UK. But this storm isn't finished just yet at 6am on Wednesday they will pick up again along the Southern coasts of England and Ireland. Gusts between 55 to 65mph is possible but as always some places on the coasts will probably get something higher,

post-6686-0-28915600-1391458163_thumb.pn

post-6686-0-47705700-1391458195_thumb.pn

6pm to 9pm the strong winds start to drop slightly but they move inland over England and Wales where 40 to 50mph gusts are possible. After 9pm the storm eases off and moves North as the winds drop with it.

Saturday is the next day that the models seem to have good confidence with. It's still a few days away yet but it does look very stormy perhaps worse than Wednesdays storm.

That's a very deep low passing over Ireland and into the middle of the UK,

post-6686-0-75278900-1391458451_thumb.pn

post-6686-0-40801600-1391458452_thumb.pn

Mean speeds around 60mph hit Ireland,

post-6686-0-08054600-1391458510_thumb.pn

• Like 2

Posted

could cause  a few  problems

post-4629-0-23944300-1391458744_thumb.pn

post-4629-0-66076800-1391458772_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

This is looking pretty mental. Keep the hatches battened down people! (Not as if they already haven't been all winter)!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, tornados

Errr...Posted Image Posted Image 

i need to be worried, i live right on the seafront in a very old house, time to batten hatches, get under my bed with cookies and coffee and ride this one out.(AGAIN!!) Posted ImagePosted Image .house is already damaged from flooding

Looking at these models it not going to be nice..

Stay safe guys and please do NOT venture near seafronts to watch high tides..lives are worth more then a few pictures..

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

could cause  a few  problems

That looks like quite an upgrade to me.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Windstorm, Thunderstorm, Heavy Squally, Blustery Winds

For example that it will look like a 90mm of rainfall an hour on the YouTube but if you don't know what is look like a 90mm of rainfall an hour.

Posted

Could be in line for a burns day type of storm looking at the charts !......

I highly doubt it!

I think the charts will keep swinging from downgrade to upgrade with this thing until it gets it spot on sometime tomorrow with probably something of a middle ground as it gets nearer the event.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

Lowest Pressure Recorded between December 2013 and January 2014 currently stands at 970.14 hPa in Warwick, also being the lowest pressure ever recorded in Warwick. This was on December 23rd at 23:40. This LOW managed to bring the highest recorded Rainfall Rate (180 mm/h) but not exactly the highest wind gust.

I remember complaining back in November 2013 when the UK's weather got dominated by several HIGH pressure systems, and on the 25th November 2013, the highest recorded pressure in my area (1042 hPa) was recorded at 23:50. It is unbelievable how a dry spell nearly always leads to an extremely wet spell, for example when the UK was stuck in a drought until 2012, nearly three years rainfall fell in under a year.

Anyway, based on the upcoming storm, this could potentially beat the lowest pressure record as it is most likely one of the deepest storms to ever hit the South, possibly similar to 1990. Then we have another series of storms heading our way.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

Posted ImageTomasz Schafernaker

Just posted this - the next storm, already looking fierce out to the west.

Lots of weather to come in the days ahead

https://twitter.com/Schafernaker/status/430624790282387456/photo/1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Cornwall facing the largest waves in the World tomorrow:

post-1052-0-07934100-1391504165_thumb.jppost-1052-0-68386700-1391504188_thumb.jp

And again on Saturday:

post-1052-0-54415300-1391504399_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Posted

Cornwall facing the largest waves in the World tomorrow:

Posted ImageSea_05-02-14_World.JPGPosted ImageSea_05-02-14_0600.JPG

And again on Saturday:

Posted ImageSea_08-02-14_1200.JPG

That is quite awesome - Used to do a lot of surfing in my youth, but jeez thats way out of my comfort zone. Maybe worth a trip down on saturday to have a look but minus board lol

Edited by cobbett
  • Like 1

Posted

Just done a Blog about the bad weather to come from the next three low pressure systems crossing the UK between now and Sunday:

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=news;storyid=5661;sess=

• Like 5

Posted

Just done a Blog about the bad weather to come from the next three low pressure systems crossing the UK between now and Sunday:

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=news;storyid=5661;sess=

The third LOW on Saturday looks like a beast of a storm for the Channel coast, maybe worse than the one today. Either way todays and Saturdays look like the worst of the winter from an, all along Channel coast viewpoint, in my opinion.

Do you happen to know if these systems have been named? I think it is the German weather people who name them, I am not sure where to look though.

http://magicseaweed.com/news/how-unusual-is-this-run-of-giant-swell/6048/ Interesting report from The Magicseaweed.

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

I just found out from a French weather site that the first storm coming today is called "PETRA", that is to be followed by the second storm called "QUMAIRA", the lows are all female this year! It seems to be the Free University of Berlin who name the storms. Here's the link: http://www.met.fu-berlin.de/adopt-a-vortex/tief2014/ It looks like the third low will be called "RUTH" although by the time she is done with us on both sides of the channel, "RUTHLESS" may be more appropriate Posted Image

Edited by Spikecollie
  • Like 2