Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storms February 2014

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms,Hot `n` sunny!

Just popped this on the S.E thread ,but i guess better suited for here,found it on Reddit...taken in Limerick!

post-17057-0-37084300-1391295323_thumb.j

Edited by anything-but
  • Like 3

Posted

Just popped this on the S.E thread ,but i guess better suited for here,found it on Reddit...taken in Limerick!

OMG that's terrible. At least the door is holding back most of the water.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Still a significant storm on the 00z with heavy rain & severe gale to storm force south to south easterly winds sweeping in from the SW Tuesday night into Wednesday affecting mnay western and southern areas,  gusts towards 80mph potentially.

post-9615-0-11026000-1391326765_thumb.gipost-9615-0-99973000-1391326865_thumb.pn

Edited by Liam J

Posted

At this stage the strongest winds are predicted the further west you are, 70-80mph for SW England, Wales and up the western side of the UK. 40-50mph inland and 50mph + gusts possible on the coast in the SE, very windy but nothing destructive. 

post-9615-0-01774900-1391330681_thumb.pn

Edited by Liam J
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

I went out this morning, to capture the high tide at Westwood Ho!

I had to wait until it got daylight for the best footage

I'm putting a playlist together, the rest of the videos to follow during the day

The potential storm for next week is a worry, since it seems it will cross the Uk, rather than meander up to the north-west

This video shows damage along the sea-front, and me having an eventful walk at high tide

playlist

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?feature=edit_ok&list=PLrq8Q990qmY4w8tJLUu6Wkrt6fvyQEQ6N

Edited by stevofunnelcl
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

I tried not to laugh... All due respect for the work they do.

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Copied over from MOD:

At least the deep secondary low that the models threatened southern Britain with later in the week has now been shunted south across France, for now, though needs to be closely watched. UKMO had it much further south than GFS and EC yesterday, incidentally.

Wednesday's deep low shown to be past its deepest phase too as it continues to fill while tracking NE across Ireland and Scotland, but GFS still shows a swathe of 60-70mph(+) gusts across many areas Tuesday night with frontal system moving through ahead of the low, strong winds across the southern flank of low as it arrives after - but winds not as bad as shown on earlier runs. The rain and frequent showers this system brings more of an issue inland, though big Atlantic swell this storm generates could bring more coastal flooding in the west.

Another potential deep low threatening NW Britain for next weekend on the big three models. 

• Like 3

Posted

I went out this morning, to capture the high tide at Westwood Ho!

I had to wait until it got daylight for the best footage

I'm putting a playlist together, the rest of the videos to follow during the day

The potential storm for next week is a worry, since it seems it will cross the Uk, rather than meander up to the north-west

This video shows damage along the sea-front, and me having an eventful walk at high tide

playlist

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?feature=edit_ok&list=PLrq8Q990qmY4w8tJLUu6Wkrt6fvyQEQ6N

Going to be an expensive bill for the local authorities or whoever's in charge of cleaning up and mending our seafronts over the coming months before summer arrives. 

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Pretty good forecast yesterday morning for our region although the winds were about 3 hours late. Max gust predicted 52 mph and we got 50mph.

Wednesdays low won't effect us wrong direction for the wind so looking a fairly quiet week until next Saturday possibly. GFS 06 oz not out yet to include that.

Edited by The PIT

GFS showing a barrage of storms coming in over the next week, but a little more progressive in regards to Wednesdays potential storm than the others.

Posted Image

ECM in good agreement with the GFS on the position of the low, and has it slightly more intense, and possibly a little further south.

Posted Image

UKMO almso on board.

Posted Image

Don't see charts like this very often!

Posted Image

Edited by Sainsbo
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Although there's plenty of rain to come, not least in areas already affected by flooding, the GFS 06Z has halved rainfall totals in the south (from now until next weekend) compared to previous runs. I realise it's not to be taken at face value but it doesn't look as bad as it could have been.

post-15177-0-51777000-1391341850_thumb.g

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

I tried not to laugh... All due respect for the work they do.

They could have at least stopped to see if he was okay...away from the immediate shoreline of course. 

• Like 1

Although there's plenty of rain to come, not least in areas already affected by flooding, the GFS 06Z has halved rainfall totals in the south (from now until next weekend) compared to previous runs. I realise it's not to be taken at face value but it doesn't look as bad as it could have been.

Posted ImageRmgfs15014.gif

That low around Thursday could still be a problem, a lot of the GEFS ensembles deepen it and the GEM still looks nasty, going to be a tricky one to nail down. Also a lot more rain on high ground those low res charts show.

GEM Posted Image   Posted Image

Yikes for the flooded SW if that happened.

• Like 1

Posted

That low around Thursday could still be a problem, a lot of the GEFS ensembles deepen it and the GEM still looks nasty, going to be a tricky one to nail down. Also a lot more rain on high ground those low res charts show.

GEM Posted ImagePosted Image

Yikes for the flooded SW if that happened.

I'm inclined to ditch the GEM on that run, although there's still discrepancies, the GFS looks more favorable at this stage, perhaps the south east to receive the worst of it? The GFS has the low less defined and more flabby, so we'll have to see how it develops on the GEM on the next run.

post-15177-0-47177400-1391347532_thumb.ppost-15177-0-96760900-1391347540_thumb.ppost-15177-0-63588100-1391347548_thumb.p

The NMM is similar..

post-15177-0-24094200-1391347557_thumb.ppost-15177-0-46006800-1391347565_thumb.ppost-15177-0-21090000-1391347574_thumb.p

Lots of room for change though, the low to the north of the UK on the GFS is a quite player on the outcome, it's further West on the GEM.

Edited by Mapantz

Posted

Posted ImageRmgfs15014.gif

best to ignore those precipitation charts as their useless .The met office dont even use them Fergie mentioned at all so your post is very misleading.

I'm inclined to ditch the GEM on that run, although there's still discrepancies, the GFS looks more favorable at this stage, perhaps the south east to receive the worst of it?

The NMM is similar..

Lots of room for change though!

GEFS precip mean is further North than the op

Posted Image

Plenty of peturbations like

Posted ImagePosted Image

So wouldn't be surprised to see more changes. Worst case scenario is stalling very heavy persistent rain across the south/SW, fairly low risk at the moment but high impact so worth keeping an eye on.

Edited by Bobby

Posted

best to ignore those precipitation charts as their useless .The met office dont even use them Fergie mentioned at all so your post is very misleading.

It's not misleading at all! I haven't said to take them at gospel, in fact, if you read further up the thread, I mentioned not to take a ppn chart at face value.I was merely pointing out a few difference between the models.
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

It could change back again but its looking like the storm we had around christmas will remain the worst out of the rest we have had this Winter.

I know this may sound selfish but I was hoping that the one for Wednesday wouldn't allready be shown to weaken, fill at the wrong time or be shunted away from us on future runs last night but it looks like thats whats happening.

For this area, Octobers big storm and the rest of December was far more stormy, frequent days of gusts reaching 40-45mph on our house wheras recently at most its only reached 30-35mph.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

It could change back again but its looking like the storm we had around christmas will remain the worst out of the rest we have had this Winter.

I know this may sound selfish but I was hoping that the one for Wednesday wouldn't allready be shown to weaken, fill at the wrong time or be shunted away from us on future runs last night but it looks like thats whats happening.

For this area, Octobers big storm and the rest of December was far more stormy, frequent days of gusts reaching 40-45mph on our house wheras recently at most its only reached 30-35mph.

This is exceptional for February though, it's rare to see storms this powerful in a month that's statistically the most quiet. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

This is exceptional for February though, it's rare to see storms this powerful in a month that's statistically the most quiet. 

I know that but in terms of the strength of these winds so far its been no different then the highest we get every other year.

Posted

GME 12z nearly finished and showing quite a potent depression Tuesday into Wednesday. The isobars even closer together, a trend for the other 12z runs perhaps?

This would bring storm force winds right up the western side of Britain. VERY windy!

post-9615-0-36387900-1391354240_thumb.pnpost-9615-0-42254700-1391354259_thumb.pnpost-9615-0-06782500-1391354284_thumb.pn

Edited by Liam J
  • Like 2

Posted

They could have at least stopped to see if he was okay...away from the immediate shoreline of course. 

After some swift research I found it was a Female Police Officer and she is fine, and as she continued signalling once afoot the lads deemed it as no need, and probably best to move on from that area of danger.

But i agree i would of stopped out of concern.

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1