Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Comparing Upland/Lowland Winters

Zerouali lives

Posted

For many, this has been a disappointing winter thus far for snowfall. However, for upland parts of Scotland and especially over Glencoe and the Nevis Ranges, they are speaking about the possibility of record breaking snow depths should the current weather pattern persist.I'd be interested to know of winters where low lying areas saw very little in the way of snow with high altitude locations recording heavy snowfalls?I believe 1994, 1957 and also 1951 of good examples of this.Early indications suggest that this may be an excellent year for snowpatch survivals due to the persistent SW'ly gales drifting and depositing colossal depths of snow in the sun shadowed NE facing coires and gullies.

• Like 1

Posted

http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/read.php?2,160696It often happens but the temperature has been just right for a long while already this year.I've mentioned a few times it hasn't been an especially mild winter at least away from the blesséd south - lack of snow or significant cold spells creates that impression admittedly. 

Posted

At what altitude are these colossal snow depths? I'm guessing at least 1000m, driving through North Wales yesterday there was nothing at all lying at 800m there.

Since the temperatures this month have shown such little variation, and the rain has been so constant, it's entirely believable that there has been a "sweet spot" elevation wise where the temperature has been just right for loads of heavy, wet, accumulating snow for weeks on end. As the low-level maxima haven't been very mild- almost entirely between 5-10C- that level has probably been about 1000-1200m. By contrast in winters like 06/7 and 89/90 the maxima here were 12-13C for long stretches, which would push the freezing level above the highest British mountains. So even if it was very wet the snow wouldn't be able to accumulate so much. And even a freezing cold winter would be no useful if it was too dry.