Sign in to follow this  
Bluebreezer54

Advice needed re Windows xp support ending April 2014

Hands up, I'm a complete technophobe so any help and advice is very much appreciated but please keep it simple !!

Microsoft are ending their support for Windows xp as of April 8th 2014 and it's causing me some concern.

In a nutshell I am housebound so rely on my computer to keep in touch with the outside world. 99% of the time it is just for internet browsing and e-mails but I also do my banking online ( paying bills etc ) so for that reason alone security is vital.

I have a Dell Latitude D620 Laptop and the operating system is Windows XP Professional, 32 bit SP2. I run it with Microsoft Security Essentials ( free ).

As far as I can tell from the information Iv'e researched I either need to upgrade my OS, or replace my laptop completely, both of which are options I cannot really afford but will obviously have to if push comes to shove.

I keep reading all sorts of horror stories about how difficult it is to upgrade my existing laptop, and how that may end up with me losing a lot of my exisiting contents. Several thousand photo's I have taken over the years in my case. I don't have any music stored on it.

I would be grateful for any information on how I can best prepare for this change, but please keep it in plain simple English for this thicko !!

Many thanks. BB54.Posted Image

Hello Bluebreezer54,

I too was in a bit of a pickle the other week as I've been using Windows XP since Day 0 of its release and have stuck with it ever since, however with the ending of support coming up I too thought of upgrading my Operating System. I have upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7 and everything works perfectly like it used to.

There's absolutely no need to completely replace your laptop - doing a quick search online shows people running Windows 7 perfectly on it with no problems.

Microsoft are also going to continue giving out security updates until 14th July 2015 now (s).

Upgrading is easy, you'll just need to back-up your photos (and anymore files) and once they're backed-up either on a USB pen, external harddrive or copied to a CD, you can go ahead with upgrading without any problems. Setup for Windows 7 is very simple to follow too.

Posted Image

Support for 32bit xp sp2 officially ended in 2010. sp3 ends in April.

First off, as Dale Hay says, BACKUP YOUR DATA. USB flash drives are cheap (i.e. 32gb for £15) and whatever you do os wise hard drives can, and do, fail. So if you want to keep your photos keep copies of them.

Normally I'd suggest gnu/linux at this point but I suspect you won't.

Win7 should work okay on your system.

Me personally, I would just keep the AV and web browser up to date, don't use internet explorer on xp now, and save up for a new computer as it's quite an old laptop now.

You realy should have those photos backed up ideally in two places, flash drives are OK but external drives are bigger and quite affordable from around £50 for 500GB and 1TB (1000Gb) for not much more.Eventually your computer is going to need an uneconomic repair, but if you have your important stuff on a separate drive it will be much simpler to get back up with a new one.If the XP machine has at least 2GB RAM it would probably run better upgraded to Windows 7, but a new machine would have improved graphics.Consider getting a new tablet, from around £100 - you may think it's not your thing but they are just fine for web based tasks now, and then you'd be able to keep the XP machine away from online threats, but still ready to go if need be. 

Thanks for the replies so far folks. A bit befuddled with medication recently but will try and get my head around it all soon. Thank you taking the time and trouble. Posted Image

Hi all.

It really annoys me that non techy folks end up being easy targets for the scare mongerers targetting this so called "end of support for Windows XP"

Windows XP will still work for the foresseable future and all that will happen will be that there will be no more "security updates" from the update site.

In my opinion - so what!!

As long as you have a decent virus checker then the average Joe will be fine.

Windows XP is a great OS and if it is working for you then great, stick with it. I think you really don't need to pay for an upgrade to a hideous windows 8. It is a big learning curve to move from XP to Win8. I personally think windows 7 is best, but still that's a big leap.

As the old addage goes: if it ain't broke - don't fix it!

Hi, lots of advice on here to get you started, but please back up your photos onto a pen drive/external hard drive this is a must.

Windows 9 is due out Next year.. Wonder what the will not be supported  then....

Hi all.

It really annoys me that non techy folks end up being easy targets for the scare mongerers targetting this so called "end of support for Windows XP"

Windows XP will still work for the foresseable future and all that will happen will be that there will be no more "security updates" from the update site.

In my opinion - so what!!

As long as you have a decent virus checker then the average Joe will be fine.

Windows XP is a great OS and if it is working for you then great, stick with it. I think you really don't need to pay for an upgrade to a hideous windows 8. It is a big learning curve to move from XP to Win8. I personally think windows 7 is best, but still that's a big leap.

As the old addage goes: if it ain't broke - don't fix it!

Problem is drivers won't be written for it software won't be written for it and one day virus checkers won't be written for it. Of course if you a hole in the OS your virus checker could constantly be deleting the same virus. In a case of zero day exploits it may infect your pc before the virus checker can be updated and you need tp patch it before you can clean it.

If you remember the blaster virus you had to patch the operating system to stop it from crashing. Okay you can take your drive out and clean it but the speed of re-infection at times was literally seconds.

I'd say keep backing up your photos etc, keep an eye on how your PC's running and make sure your PC is kept behind a firewall and always has up to date antivirus software. You're probably good for a few more years yet if you observe the usual precautions.

I'm not planning to ditch my trusty 7 year old desktop machine - it runs XP just fine but might struggle a bit with Win 7 because it was hardly state of the art when I bought it.

Something worth being aware of is that windows7 can use a flash drive almost like more RAM, so even if you only have 1GB installed you can get better performance if you have a spare USB socket and a cheap flash drive.I have a 10 year old Compaq that cannot take more than 1GB internally running quite happily like this.You can get by with 1GB, W7 seems better at managing with limited resources.Over the years the various updates to XP meant it needed a fair lot of memory just to tick over.I re-installed XP on an old laptop a while ago just to play with, and had XP SP1 ticking over on 200MB!