Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms storms and more storms

Distant rumbles over the Wash

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and stormy.

Got my gear setup in Hull, come onnnnnn Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

More sferics around today than yesterday but very much confined to eastern England as expected. Looks like Derby is too far west. I have noticed the area in and around Sleaford seems to see a lot of thunderstorms in comparison to the UK as a whole.

• Like 1

Posted

had real cracker here rain yay whats that wet stuff forgot what it looked like.   Came down heavy some lightening too.  My rain gauge currently says 5.4mm fell, still but very light now.

Posted

Some photo's taken over a convective weekend.

Posted Imageimage.jpgPosted Imageimage.jpgPosted Imageimage.jpg

first very similar cloud just had.  First did not look like would drop anything then suddenly 2 lightening/thunder claps then all hell broke.  At one point it was running 16mm/hr rainfall thankfully not long.  Still above now starting excelerate rainfall just hanging about.

• Like 1

Posted

More sferics around today than yesterday but very much confined to eastern England as expected. Looks like Derby is too far west. I have noticed the area in and around Sleaford seems to see a lot of thunderstorms in comparison to the UK as a whole.

Would be very interesting to know what the actually thunderstorm / lightning strike capital of the UK is. 

I would sure place a bet that its around the Sleaford area 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Id say anywhere around the Grantham and Sleaford area has the most proper thunderstorms per annum and most recorded lightning strikes too.

Posted

heavy rainfall now again upto 8.7mm we catching up to rest country winter rainfallPosted Image  Amazing like a bus wait all winter hadly rains 17.mm then today we get pounding

Edited by vladthemert

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Just had a localised hailstorm with one lightning flash/rumble of thunder- again hailstones just under a centimetre diameter.  Unexpected, as for a while it looked like the main focus of showery activity was retreating south!

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

The heavy showers with hail and thunder are finally fading out here, my nearest one is now over Portsmouth and the Eastern Isle of Wight, I can see it through the window, looks impressive with pink sunlight reflecting off it.

There is still hail in my gutters from earlier today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days

Very nice stormy cloudscapes this afternoon. Just a pity I had to miss most of it inside. However, while driving into Cambridge we came across a cell that produced some lightning. Managed to get these quick shots from the car....

• Like 9

Posted

Some pictures from the second hailstorm at Sandhutton which gave one flash of lightning and clap of thunder as well:

Nice pictures TWS

Certainly nothing like that in Cleadon today with most of the shower activity from Durham southwards.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their photos the last couple of days.Posted Image 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Nice pictures TWS

Certainly nothing like that in Cleadon today with most of the shower activity from Durham southwards.

Yes I noticed that- I remember that cyclonic north-westerly regimes were sometimes good for dramatic hail showers in Cleadon but on other occasions, like today, most of the sharp thundery showers developed further south.  Days like this help to remind me of why I prefer the climate overall down here, despite Cleadon being more favoured for dramatic weather in east-coast snow showers setups.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Had today been in mid June or July, some real potent beasts would've cropped up. 

I even remember back in late May 2003 I think, I was off school for 2 weeks due to illness. During one of the days in those 2 weeks, a slack PM Northwesterly setup occurred with the low centred just off the Northumberland coast I believe. 

My god, the hailstones we got were those of golfballs, topped off with some awesome CG's with real ear splitting thunder and major flash flooding! 

I remember returning to class and my little schoomates back then saying they thought the bombers were attacking! I don't know what it is about PM Northwesterlies, but they always seem to cut the mustard every time in sweet style!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Sandhutton must still be good for big convective snow showers though, not right on the coast but no huge mountain ranges to the East, must have got absolutely blasted in 2009 and 2010.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

Here are some photos above northern France on Saturday evening. A hailstorm had just passed through and ou could see the curtain of white and some nice mammatus on the periphery of the cloud. There was a line of single cell CuNbs stretching to the coast (only the odd flash of lightning here and there - they are called "les giboulées de mars" in France and are spectacular but pretty benign electrically) and then some more into central onto NW UK but by then there was not enough light to take photos. The half light descent into MAN between the white stacks of towering cumulus was amazing. It was one of the most spectacular sunset evenings I have ever seen from up there - truly awe inspiring.

post-21857-0-46853100-1395652364_thumb.jpost-21857-0-16948400-1395652376_thumb.jpost-21857-0-52083000-1395652387_thumb.jpost-21857-0-04289900-1395652399_thumb.jpost-21857-0-27488900-1395652410_thumb.jpost-21857-0-55022300-1395652421_thumb.j

• Like 5

Posted

fantastic pics taken by everyone.  

Checking data on weather display noticed weird issue can all instruments have spikes at once and last 15 mins or so.   Got sharp drop hpa not massive looked only 6hpa.   My windspeed excelerated sharply from 8 to 15mph again not much,  However humidity jumped from 45 to 85% and finally sharp increase in dewpoint registered from 4 to 11%.   All the setting went back to previous levels before it happened.

What could caused them to do this all at once started around 11.30 ended 11-45.   Does this indicate convective event during this period of storm development it was before the lightening started and the big massive burst rainfall we had which weather display calculated 48mm/hr burst, which like said did not last too long thankfully before returned to normal heavy shower.  

Posted

Sandhutton must still be good for big convective snow showers though, not right on the coast but no huge mountain ranges to the East, must have got absolutely blasted in 2009 and 2010.

The winter of 2012/13 had quite a few sluggish easterlies and near-straight northerlies and what happened on those occasions was that I got the snow showers here, but they were somewhat less intense than near the coast and so didn't amount to much.  Sometimes the North York Moors take a lot of the impetus out of the showers.

However I'm pretty sure that what you say holds true if we get a moderate or strong easterly or north-easterly which is cold enough at upper levels to support deep convection over the North Sea- this area certainly got a significant dumping in late November/early December 2010 for example.  I think Sandhutton could also potentially get a lot of snow showers off a polar W'ly or NW'ly (setups like January 1984/March 1995), as we generally get more showers off westerlies than I used to in Cleadon, which is more sheltered, but those setups are rarely cold enough.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Time lapse of Saturday's convection developments

Great work Weather

Still the best way of recording storm developmentPosted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

The winter of 2012/13 had quite a few sluggish easterlies and near-straight northerlies and what happened on those occasions was that I got the snow showers here, but they were somewhat less intense than near the coast and so didn't amount to much.  Sometimes the North York Moors take a lot of the impetus out of the showers.

However I'm pretty sure that what you say holds true if we get a moderate or strong easterly or north-easterly which is cold enough at upper levels to support deep convection over the North Sea- this area certainly got a significant dumping in late November/early December 2010 for example.  I think Sandhutton could also potentially get a lot of snow showers off a polar W'ly or NW'ly (setups like January 1984/March 1995), as we generally get more showers off westerlies than I used to in Cleadon, which is more sheltered, but those setups are rarely cold enough.

Yes, I would of thought so as we had a pasting here (6 inches in 2 and a half hours) and even as far West as Manchester got battered so inevitable the other side of the pennines did as well.

Edited by feb1991blizzard