Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion - 27th January 2014 onwards

Jane Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

"Yes, were some great cloudscapes today over Birmingham too, with decent looking Cbs and Cu congestus over the region.  At a fair height in my office so makes for good viewing.  One shower in particular towards Great Barr had a defined flattened top. Great to see the LCL, updraft column and equilibrium level in full view against a blue sky backdrop. Most of the showers consisted of hail/graupel. Not surprising given that not only was the air 500mb particularly cold (~ -35C)--which created a steep lapse rate--so too were the temps at 850mb.  Nice clean convection in all, if not particularly vigorous."Yes... eloquent and accurrate as everExactly how i was going to describe yesterday afternoons timelapse over Brum...http://youtu.be/BONoeJaWQyg

Edit; wtf...Hail funnel Clouds?are some of these hail shafts spinning up @ around 47".....or am i looking for the next big ch4 headline " Ice tornado over the Bullring"? Edited by Arnie Pie
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fog, Drizzle, Rain, Wind and Thunderstorms

Funnel cloud reported near Shoreham Airport in Sussex this afternoon.

https://twitter.com/brightonairport/status/439392160752758784

• Like 3

Posted

Nice time-lapse, Arnie. Posted Image Next time you're recording in that direction on a stormy day, I'll head to the top of one of those buildings and wave to you Posted Image

Edited by Arnie Pie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Looks like a bit of a squall line across Somerset at the moment on the radar? Definitely some juicy echoes across the Channel Islands as well...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Looks like a bit of a squall line across Somerset at the moment on the radar? Definitely some juicy echoes across the Channel Islands as well...

The line isn't too far from me now, it has been very gusty already, so this should be interesting. :)
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days

Estofex forecast out for tomorrow - looks encouraging with 50% lightning risk over south uk and midlands. Pity about the weak shear though.

http://www.estofex.org

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Certainly looks like some potential for tomorrow! I have my fingers crossed. 2014 might be a good year for storms especially for us storm-starved lot. I just hope I haven't jinxed it again lol Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

Well, its officially spring. I must admit yesterday I was walking home and for the first time this year, I could feel the heat of the sun on my back. Now that the strength of the sun is on the increase I am issuing my first of what I hope is many storm forecasts this year. :) Hopefully Jane Louise hasn't jinxed it for us all, once again.. Posted Image

Posted Image

Enough energy tomorrow to hopefully provide us with some storms.

Although, fairly limited mid level shear will most likely inhibit the development of anything decent (for the time of year). However closer to southwestern coasts we could see better development with higher levels of shear. An isolated funnel event is certainly possible around this area too as well as most other southern areas should convection initiate close enough to sunset when shear will be ever increasing throughout the day. It is only early in the year and for that reason almost all land based activity is expected to die away very soon after sunset. Convective showers and storms may persist around coastal areas however. Surface winds are expected to be fairly light which introduces the risk of flash flooding under any prolonged cells.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

It's gone a bit dark to the S of the River, couple of zaps on the lightning detector too. ooo! Wasn't expecting it this early. Some of those showers certainly look beefy.. Fingers crossed & Thunder dust to everyone that wants it!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
Watch out for some heavy showers and isolated thunderstorms across southern Britain today, they'll be slow moving - bringing a risk of localised flooding and also accompanied by hail in places and even the odd funnel cloud.

Posted

There's been one or two heavy showers early this morning but now the sun is out, things look to be coming along nicely!

post-15177-0-45201700-1393843320_thumb.j

• Like 3

Posted

Another shower here but despite talk of them being slow moving, they're actually moving through at a steady pace. The radar doesn't really look that spectacular for the southern half of the UK, the channel islands and France look to be seeing the worst of it.

A little bit of mammatus on the back of that last shower..

post-15177-0-55947600-1393847491_thumb.j post-15177-0-03635600-1393847551_thumb.j

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 6

Posted

Watch out for some heavy showers and isolated thunderstorms across southern Britain today, they'll be slow moving - bringing a risk of localised flooding and also accompanied by hail in places and even the odd funnel cloud.

Just had 10 mins of hail here Nick no thunderstorm tho..

Posted

Oh Well...It`s that time of the year again where i try to rig up some kind of live feed over Brum

For the latest efforts

http://www.camsecure.co.uk/brumcam.html

i`m trying to keep testing the feed all day.....Give it a click and see if it works for us

Feedback Important

• Like 2

Posted

Oh Well...It`s that time of the year again where i try to rig up some kind of live feed over BrumFor the latest effortshttp://www.camsecure.co.uk/brumcam.htmli`m trying to keep testing the feed all day.....Give it a click and see if it works for usFeedback Important

Seems to be working fine Arnie and quite a clear picture too.

• Like 1

Posted

Oh Well...It`s that time of the year again where i try to rig up some kind of live feed over BrumFor the latest effortshttp://www.camsecure.co.uk/brumcam.htmli`m trying to keep testing the feed all day.....Give it a click and see if it works for usFeedback Important

Android doesn't support flash anymore, could you try via HTML5? Or something non-flash?
  • Like 1

Posted

Seems to be working fine Arnie and quite a clear picture too.

yep nice shot high rise in distance just show how clarity it is.  There is like time delay drops that might be just normal operation of setup.  If so perfect Arnie

• Like 1

Posted

Cheers Biggin... Were hoping to improve the quality over time

Sorry Manpantz.. if i knew what you were talking about i could anwser you.....i`m sure this will be possible as this stream seems to be based around a fairly flexible platform?

Posted

Cheers Vlad

theres about a 2 sec delay away from real time......normal?

Posted

Just seen fork lightning over Hounslow from my 10th floor office looking east towards central London, almost instant but short boom of thunder

• Like 1

Posted

Cheers W09

Looking at some of the clouds comming around from the SE....It may end up a cracking good test

i`ll keep an eye out for a lunatic waving his arms about (or temp lightning conductor!)

Edited by Arnie Pie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Arnie Pie... Your Cam is off line... Some nice echoes incoming/showing on the Radar atm! http://www.raintoday.co.uk/mobile

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 1

Posted

Brumcam resting now

Interesting and encuoraging first run

Many thanks for all of your feedback

Posted

Cheers Dance.......i wont touch that knob again!

Back on now.... you are right....... hadn`t checked  the radar for some time and it looked like this mass was slipping to my south

Edited by Arnie Pie
  • Like 1