Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion - 27th January 2014 onwards

Jane Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

A couple of sferics to the south of London recently with what looks like a small storm around SE London as part of a band stretching from the Channel Islands into Norfolk. Also a couple of sferics earlier north of Camarthen in South Wales as part of bands of showers moving in here.

Showers seem to be forming into bands, I expect my area to remain dry though until later this afternoon but plenty of showers continuing for all areas throughout today, tonight and into tomorrow with the chance of hail and thunder at any time amongst the showers.

Edited by Supacell

Posted

A couple of sferics to the south of London recently with what looks like a small storm around SE London as part of a band stretching from the Channel Islands into Norfolk. Also a couple of sferics earlier north of Camarthen in South Wales as part of bands of showers moving in here.

Showers seem to be forming into bands, I expect my area to remain dry though until later this afternoon but plenty of showers continuing for all areas throughout today, tonight and into tomorrow with the chance of hail and thunder at any time amongst the showers.

Yep thunder just happened here with hailstones,, but didnt goto window to watch as what i would normally do because seen it a lot already this year.. wheres the sunshine??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days

A couple of sferics to the south of London recently with what looks like a small storm around SE London as part of a band stretching from the Channel Islands into Norfolk. Also a couple of sferics earlier north of Camarthen in South Wales as part of bands of showers moving in here. Showers seem to be forming into bands, I expect my area to remain dry though until later this afternoon but plenty of showers continuing for all areas throughout today, tonight and into tomorrow with the chance of hail and thunder at any time amongst the showers.

Very dark to the south and wind has picked up a lot. Can also see a nice small cb passing east with long streams of cloud sticking out.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Thunderstorm here just before 10am

• Like 1

Posted

I think tonight's trip to the pub will require waterproofs looking at the bands of showers rolling in off the Irish Sea, Should make for a interesting time watching the Six Nations down in Wales knowing those same showers will likely hit my area a hour or two afterwards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

Impressive day today. Crisp blue skies until 3pm when the rain started. Quickly turned to torrential snow and thunder mixed in. 1 rumble was incredibly loud! Pictures will follow...

Posted

Can't post the whole forecast however I quote from Estofex for tomorrow this..

"A level 1 was issued for extreme NW France, parts of UK and Ireland mainly for severe to damaging wind gusts and an isolated but strong tornado event."

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Certainly going to be an interesting dayPosted Image  Keep safe all and take care if taking pics and videos. I think the far SW will probably fare better then the rest of us for a thunderstorm but who knows .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days

Just had torrential rain here as the top of the small squall line passed over.

Tony Gilbert over on UKww is suggesting that there is a fully developed supercell heading towards Reading way that may already have formed a tornado....

http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/102284-convective-outlook-fri-14th-feb-2014/

Update: Although, looking at the latest radar it looks like it could be dying now. 

Edited by poseidon

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Risk of heavy showers and possibly a few t-storms for S/SE England today:

Storm & Convective Forecast

Issued 2014-02-18 10:24:25

Valid: 18/02/2014 1000z to 19/02/2014 0600z

post-1052-0-63373900-1392719421_thumb.jp

THERE IS A RISK OF THUNDERSTORMS FORECAST

Synopsis
A cyclonic south to southwesterly flow covers the UK on Tuesday to the south of low pressure centred close to the NW of the UK, a shortwave trough moves east across southern Britain during the day, which will support the development of scattered heavy showers and a few thunderstorms.

... C/S and SE ENGLAND, E ANGLIA ...

A moist and unstable south to southwesterly flow covers southern England today, passage east of shortwave trough (with cold pool of air at around -30C at 500mb height) atop of moist low-levels will steepen lapse rates, resulting in convective development. Scattered heavy showers and thunderstorms are likely in the above areas, accompanied by hail and locally high rainfall totals in a short space of time. Given saturated ground and high river levels, the heavy rain may lead to further localised flooding problems.
Edited by Nick F
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Is there none for up here? Ive got a thunderstorm headache , seriously

Posted

Is there none for up here? Ive got a thunderstorm headache , seriously

Unlikely, though there will likely be some showers around for NW England.

Posted

Interesting photos of a funnel cloud over Hedge End in Southampton this evening:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Torro-the-UKs-Tornado-and-Storm-Research-Organisation/249176491778442

• Like 1

Posted

Settled down a bit at the moment after the hectic start to the year! Next decent chance of more widespread thundery activity seems to be Tuesday at the moment.

Posted Image

Posted Image

GFS only seems to want to keep things to west-facing coasts at the moment though...

Posted Image

Posted

Is anyone else having problems viewing charts on lightning wizard? I haven't been able to see any charts for a couple of days now.

http://www.lightningwizard.com/maps/

Posted

Aye, site is down for me too, Supa, as is Estofex. Both run on the same server, I believe. Might be doing some maintenance.

Thanks for that, I was worried it was me. Certainly hope they are back up in a month's time as they become very valuable tools of mine during the storm "season".

Posted

thanks supercell for the link working again.

those in know tell me reading this wrong that thursday this bad boy got serious bad convective winds to hit uk.  Hope not steeling thunder of those who post these.

Posted Image

Posted

A reasonable number of strikes showing off Finisterre at the moment (showers following behind the main frontal cloud). I suspect these will die out over the Channel but the odd one might make it to the S/SE coastline in the morning. It will be worth keeping an eye on the radar.

Edited by egret

Posted

Very active around here at 3:30 onwards. Very nice convection. Didn't have the camera with me because I was still at school however I grabbed these..

Potent Cb cell (A-bomb)

Posted Image

Huge cell firing up about 60 miles away

Posted Image

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Monday seems to be looking quite interesting for the Southern half of the UK into the Midlands. 500j/kg CAPE with a lifted index of -2 widely could produce some decent thunder showers, especially for early March.

• Like 1