Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion - 27th January 2014 onwards

Jane Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Everyone ATTENTION: I believe CreweCold is out of the NSC !! Something must've definitely changed. I wouldn't even say I'm officially out of it yet. 2014 you belterrr! Already topped 2013 into the water back in January, let alone March!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Everyone ATTENTION: I believe CreweCold is out of the NSC !! Something must've definitely changed. I wouldn't even say I'm officially out of it yet. 2014 you belterrr! Already topped 2013 into the water back in January, let alone March!

Yes just seen his status lol  Thought I was the only one left in the NSCPosted Image but I know for definite I'm going to be out of there before the end of the year.Watch this space Posted Image Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

There was a very summer thunderstorm look about this evening around here with big towering clouds above a haze. Of course it didn't feel summery, that may change over the coming days though with summer-like temperatures. Unfortunately missed out on any action today and yesterday only had the odd shower, but I know a lot of people have seen something thundery. Possibly more opportunities next week with a moist, continental feed. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

There was a very summer thunderstorm look about this evening around here with big towering clouds above a haze. Of course it didn't feel summery, that may change over the coming days though with summer-like temperatures. Unfortunately missed out on any action today and yesterday only had the odd shower, but I know a lot of people have seen something thundery. Possibly more opportunities next week with a moist, continental feed. 

Its awesome. This is what it was like in the 90's I swear. Pure fuel from source, no watered down atlantic crud! As a result, it doesn't take much to spark the fire off, as CAPE values have not even been that much to write home about. Imagine if all of this was under a couple of thousand j/kg of CAPE with LI values of -10!! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and stormy.

God its nice to feel some warmth in the air instead of cold poop, hopefully ill be traveling further than 50k from my front door this year now funds are available  depending on mother nature...and we all know she can be ermmmm well...in that mood . I did venture out yesterday to catch the epic/early import! but i'm sure the Humber has some kind of NO you cannot enter if you're not spitting fire  grrrrr.Just drizzle to be had but the car park seemed very popular with boy racers! vrooommmm.

Always ready.

Posted

Its awesome. This is what it was like in the 90's I swear. Pure fuel from source, no watered down atlantic crud! As a result, it doesn't take much to spark the fire off, as CAPE values have not even been that much to write home about. Imagine if all of this was under a couple of thousand j/kg of CAPE with LI values of -10!! 

CAPE has been fairly weak today but storms have benefited from some 30 knots of shear and steep lapse rates created by very cold air aloft, especially in the western half of the UK. Should there have been a couple of thousand j/kg of CAPE and LI values of -10 with today's set up then we would have been looking at some fantastic thunderstorms. April 1st is the day I use for the start of the storm season and it looks like this year things may get off to a flying start, although next week is a long way off in terms of forecasting anything let alone thunderstorms.

Posted

How is Monday looking? Nick Miller was saying on the BBC weather there that the air will be unstable (after the weekend) and seemed to show showers/storms............

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Not really W09

I`m know i streamed live all of the storm as it came up from Cov.... unfortunatly because this was the first real chance of catching some lightning and thunder i was to busy making sure every thing was working and pointing in the right direction..... to set up anymore camerasPosted Image
i heard a few distant rumbles behind and to the East of me, and from what Diagonal has reported they had quiet a show over Solihull

I have no idea whether these rumbles or any flashes( not seen by myself) were picked up on the streamPosted Image

You were right about the the amazing weather though... Beautiful rainbow against the haily white skies and i didnt think to take a photo with the camcorderPosted Image

Still theres always next week

Message to self; next lesson to learn 'saving data'Posted Image

Edited by Arnie Pie
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Not to be taken literally of course but NMM going for some pretty high CAPE values especially for relatively early Spring on Monday for the Central/West Midlands. Lightning Wizard suggests Equilibrium Level temperatures wont be very low though on Monday? Could be a problem?

Posted

i heard a few distant rumbles behind and to the East of me, and from what Diagonal has reported they had quiet a show over Solihull

I have no idea whether these rumbles or any flashes( not seen by myself) were picked up on the streamPosted Image

You were right about the the amazing weather though... Beautiful rainbow against the haily white skies and i didnt think to take a photo with the camcorderPosted Image

I was watching your stream for a long time Arnie and didn't see any flashes, not sure about rumbles because the sound was a bit muffled. I saw the rainbow though, Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Cheers Blue

Nice of you to metion the audio streamPosted Image

We`ll i've spent the day reading the 'saving data' manual and trying to de-muffle my audio

I have headache now

• Like 1

Posted

GFS 12z is an awesome run for the time of year with regards to warmth and thunderstorms.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Risk if some thundery imports tomorrow morning? Then the afternoon and evening look good tomorrow and Wednesday and Thursday in particular. The S/SEE winds look to favour the West Midlands and parts of Wales in particular. :)

• Like 3

Posted

A relatively nice setup for the time of year, certainly could be a cracker a bit later in the season.

Met Office modelling precip moving up from the channel to the UK overnight, labelling it as 'scattered and occasionally thundery showers move north during the early hours'.

Likewise between Monday and Thursday they mention the possibility of 'heavy and thundery showers/bands of rain'

The models seem pretty undecided as usual on who/what/where/when.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fire tornado

Looks and feels rather stormy this evening, next week could be good for a little storm chasing...