Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion - 27th January 2014 onwards

Jane Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Loudest clap of thunder ive heard in a long while, nowhere near the loudest ever but impressive, nothing sustainable multi-cellular variety but heavy PPN with it.

didn't expect this at all, not very high CAPE or low lifted values with it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Absolutely incredible this! A Dutch import in March, whats going on lol !Posted Image

Ill keep an eye out bud to my East and North where I've already witnessed a bright blue flash through the fog!!

Thunder reported by people I know on FB at Southwold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Absolutely incredible this! A Dutch import in March, whats going on lol !Posted Image

Ill keep an eye out bud to my East and North where I've already witnessed a bright blue flash through the fog!!

I can't remember imports this early before, although I am sure there has been. That line from the North Sea to the NW coast is lightning up now, especially around the Manchester area. Watch for Lincolnshire to join in the fun shortly.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

I can't remember imports this early before, although I am sure there has been. That line from the North Sea to the NW coast is lightning up now, especially around the Manchester area. Watch for Lincolnshire to join in the fun shortly.

Can't comprehend the amazement, especially when you think what it was like this time last year! 

Yeah, some bright colours showing up now. Just seen another distant flash !!

• Like 2

Posted

Seems to be over the Pennines at the moment. Hopefully it will drift a bit closer to Manchester. Only distant thunder from my location.

Yes its passed us now, haven't heard one since, rain steady now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

no Jane had no storm up this year so far last 1 was the 6th of dec last year and that 1 woke me up early in the morning

Oh well, best of luck for the rest of the year Stu. Times are a changing and we are all going to get storms this year.Posted Image Seriously though this really could be a good year I so know it is Posted Image Lovely convection here today .It looked like a summer storm day but I only ended up with drizzle.Posted Image

Posted

It appears to be moving gradually eastwards but also seems to be petering out as it does so.

Looks to me like you were unlucky, should have hit you after me, probably missed you to the North haven't got a wind vector chart but moving West North Westwards from what I can see.

Posted

Oh well, it's only March at the end of the day - still the convective season to go. Besides, the forecasts for this weekend say the warmth could set off a few thunderstorms.

Yes, I am really a snow man but if theres another type of weather I like its thunder, as long as its not too oppressive with it!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Might be missing something but... what's unusual about what's occuring at the moment?

It's not unusual, it's just amazing that we are seeing such a lot of thundery days so early in the season. I witnessed a thunderstorm in January for the first time in many years this year and I do not remember a time when thunderstorms imported across from the continent in March, although they haven't actually succeeded yet (but not far off). I understand thunderstorms and lightning out to sea are common in the Oct-Dec period and storms inland Apr-Sept period, it is generally a quiet period for storms in Feb/Mar. 

I think it is a bit of hoping that such a frequency of storm days so early on may bode well for a good year for storms.

EDIT: They have just succeeded, now hitting the Suffolk coast around Lowestoft as predicted.

Edited by Supacell
  • Like 2

Posted

a few sporadic flashes here,and a couple of distant rumbles heard,

could the higher sst due to a mild winter give us a good thunder year, here's hoping

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Yes, I am really a snow man but if theres another type of weather I like its thunder, as long as its not too oppressive with it!!

Oo, how are your carrots?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

I'm feeling quietly optimistic about convective prospects this year, although I have know reason too living were I do. I do like the look of the CAPE and LI this weekend; and with a south-easterly, as well as probably being one of the warmest places in the Northwest, we may be in a good position for any cells that form. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Might be missing something but... what's unusual about what's occuring at the moment?

Pretty much everything. When was the last time you saw an import from the South East succeed in March?!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather

Pretty much everything. When was the last time you saw an import from the South East succeed in March?!

I suppose it depends on what Lorry you look in

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days

Further opportunities in the coming days - tomorrow, Monday and what looks like another import on Tuesday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Deep rumblings from the south (insert joke here) hehe

They're becoming more frequent and giving me goosebumps, absolutely love those deep, low, bass sounds!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and stormy.

Imports! Ha, Humber Estuary said NO go home and bring more lightning next time.....gutted.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Issued 2014-03-28 07:44:15

Valid: 28/03/2014 0730 to 29/03/2014 0600z

post-1052-0-24573300-1395992786_thumb.pn

THERE IS A RISK OF THUNDERSTORMS FORECAST
Synopsis
A ridge of high pressure continues to dominate Scandinavia, while a upper cold pool/upper low continues to move slowly west across SW Britain and southern Ireland. Surface low pressure lies to the SW of the UK, while high pressure dominates to the NE - with an unstable easterly flow across the British Isles.

... IRELAND, SW ENGLAND, WALES, THE MIDLANDS and N ENGLAND ...

500mb cold pool towards SW Britain will create steep lapse rates today across SW, central and W Britain, with heavy showers and scattered thunderstorms likley to develop in the above areas through the course of the day, thunderstorms at their most numerous this afternoon with peak surface heating. Like yesterday, hail with be the most notable risk with any of the heavier showers/storms, with hail up to 1 to 2cm in diameter possible. There will also be the risk of some localised flooding from the heavier downpours, particularly as storms will be slow-moving.
Edited by Nick F
  • Like 4

Posted

Imports! Ha, Humber Estuary said NO go home and bring more lightning next time.....gutted.

agreed all we had is low mist which seemingly lasting forever this side of water.  Not impressed that storm was coming which hit yarmouth as it was on trajectory to hit wash then us.  Alast the thing ran out of steam before us.  Just little bit of rain which is needed here we had so little.

Hope better day but mist goto move on to see it.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Unbelievable what happened last night for only March! :O From around midnight, lightning started to kick off to our South and SE, wasnt moving our way but moved close enough for us to hear the thunder, classic deep basey elevated distant thunder that makes everything shake.

It had dropped for a bit, so me, my girlfriend and my mate headed back home, but the moment we left we had a shaky deep boom go off, and we were all like realllyy just as we leave haha.

Got home, and noticed the sky lighting up, my mate phoned up saying it was all kicking off again aswell, instead of going out, we both ended up watching it from our houses, as we could both see it really easy. Couldnt believe how much lightning there was it was ranging anywhere between 2-20 seconds for hakf an hour, and was close enough to hear some proper rumbles and crackles of thunder, though was that loud by our area, but it clipped Southern IOW, so we can count it as our storm Posted Image . It honestly felt like a summer lightning display, was great!

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers

The sun is burning through the cloud here,and it feels warm in it.Some big cumulus now bubbling up,so could be promising for later.Had no thunder here since January 26th,so even one solitary rumble would do!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Unbelievable what happened last night for only March! Posted Image From around midnight, lightning started to kick off to our South and SE, wasnt moving our way but moved close enough for us to hear the thunder, classic deep basey elevated distant thunder that makes everything shake.

It had dropped for a bit, so me, my girlfriend and my mate headed back home, but the moment we left we had a shaky deep boom go off, and we were all like realllyy just as we leave haha.

Got home, and noticed the sky lighting up, my mate phoned up saying it was all kicking off again aswell, instead of going out, we both ended up watching it from our houses, as we could both see it really easy. Couldnt believe how much lightning there was it was ranging anywhere between 2-20 seconds for hakf an hour, and was close enough to hear some proper rumbles and crackles of thunder, though was that loud by our area, but it clipped Southern IOW, so we can count it as our storm Posted Image . It honestly felt like a summer lightning display, was great!

It's alright for some I suppose Lol. You always seem to do well where you are! It's still murky cold and grey here.I wont keep my fingers crossed today for anything to happen here then that way something may actually happen.. Well done though SK, glad you enjoyed them