Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Weather Discussion 27/01/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Took a run up the moor road late pm from Ferness to Carrbridge where at 5.30 pm the temperature was  -1c.

A photo of the snow covered Cairngorms in the distance a bit obsured by cloud.post-2744-0-48123800-1395612475_thumb.jp

Currently 3c here a thin cloud cover keeping temperature up.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Was -6.5 this morning! House was cold.

Edited by mardatha
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Where has my "Like" button gone???

Looks 'like' it's been changed to an anonymous recommendation system.  A backwards step, I'd say, but the folk who like to preserve their anonymity will always win.

Cracking morning here after a cold start. The hills are white down to the tops of the forests and fields. Please please please can we have a few days like this...?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

Well spent yesterday afternoon playing tennis at Dunfermline Tennis Club and it was lovely, brigh continuous sunshine. Today is no different here at my work in Alloa, after a very cold start -3 at lochgelly. Long may it last!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Only got down to -2.4C here near the estuary. Howver that was the coldest since November. The three coldest nights of the "Winter" were all outwith the Winter months here.

-5.5C up at my mums in Perthshire earlier this morning.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

The solar panels are nearly boiling with all this sun, and I've just seen the first butterfly of the year - a Small Tortoiseshell in the garden. Buds have burst on the fruit trees and bushes, we'll be eating rhubarb and spring greens soon, hopefully not on the same plate.  If someone posts charts showing -8C uppers and frontal ppn in two weeks time, I'll no be a happy bunny...

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

The ECM has gone off the idea of a Greenland high, it's going for an easterly instead now. It's not too far away from the -8ºC uppers you're hoping against, but will probs water down a little closer to the time. If it comes off as forecast it will be horrible along the east of Scotland. Time will tell though Posted Image

post-18233-0-85879600-1395693951_thumb.gpost-18233-0-22307900-1395693924_thumb.g

if only it was a few months ago this place would be going mental with what the ECM has been chucking out over the last few days as it seems to be following a pattern and running with it

post-18233-0-83405600-1395694196_thumb.g

and with the NAO forecast going negative we may see those -8 uppers in the models over the next day or two with the ECM mean 500 anomalies looking to follow the operational

post-18233-0-67860800-1395694465_thumb.gpost-18233-0-89526100-1395694466_thumb.gpost-18233-0-51136900-1395694467_thumb.g

but after what we have seen so far this winter i'll wait a while before getting excited about any possible overnight snow chances

• Like 1

Posted

Aye, and the GFS isn't exactly following the ECM. We have to get some blocking at some point though, but I've said that before and we're still waiting Posted Image

this looks as good a time as any with the ECM strat charts showing a split from top to bottom starting at day 4 at 10hpa then day 5 at 30hpa then day ten at 100hpa looks interesting with a good ridge towards Greenland and warmth at the pole prob from a final warming and zonal winds finally falling off

post-18233-0-99048100-1395697297_thumb.gpost-18233-0-57017900-1395697298_thumb.gpost-18233-0-11346000-1395697299_thumb.gpost-18233-0-59341800-1395697312_thumb.g

and GFS charts showing the same

post-18233-0-63708900-1395697334_thumb.p

and like you have been saying still plenty of cold air around and it does look like we have a good chance with the strat charts playing ball

Edited by Buriedundersnow

Posted

plus added bonus if we do see an easterly cold enough for snow the north sea looks pretty warm for this time of year but I don't know how that would work for modification from the sea

post-18233-0-07999800-1395698182_thumb.p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

A quick summary since I haven't posted for the last few days.

Friday Evening - Drive to NW England was wet after Dundee, very wet in fact. There was even some sleet in the heavier bursts and on the higher parts on the A9, M74, M6.

Saturday - Bright, cold and breezy with the occasional heavy shower.

Sunday - Bright, cold and breezy again but largely dry. Felt especially cold when exposed to the wind.

Monday - Spent most of the day in the car, with a couple of stops on the way back. A glorious looking day with pretty much wall to wall blues skies from NW England all the way to Aberdeenshire. There's still a decent amount of patchy snow on the tops of the Lake District Hills and the very top of the Pennines (very well defined snow level). Didn't see much obvious signs on snow on the borders hills, at least not those visible from the M74. Approaching Hamilton you could see Ben Lomond and the Arrochar hills to the north pretty well and they looked very white.

Tuesday - Fairly grey, cold and dismal.

Today - Started off around freezing at 9am with quite thick mist that persisted most of the way to work. Looks nice outside now with sunshine and broken cloud but the flag shows the breeze is definitely from an easterly direction so I doubt it'll feel warm.

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Cloud building North East England..temps dropping there. Hope we see some snow tonight in Central Scotland.

Posted

Been the most wonderful day here. Sure it's probably going to change soon enough but still. Really felt pretty warm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Reports of snow in the south east, it is 3.5c in London, but raining, any snow forecast for Scotland?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Beautiful day here yesterday and the same again today. Looks like it will continue well into next week too! YA BEAUTY! Spring here at last! Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Dry..............(for now) but those showers from the east are showing themselves already

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Stuck on the East coast with an easterly wind and there's only one outcome....lots of grey/white cloud, cool breeze, 7C...all rather meh!

Posted

Stuck on the East coast with an easterly wind and there's only one outcome....lots of grey/white cloud, cool breeze, 7C...all rather meh!

Yeah, typical Spring weather - we always get a spell or two like this. I see the dreaded haar is creeping into forecasts for tomorrow and the following couple of days.

Cloudy, 8c here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

63 pages ! Good effort folks. Definitely haar ish look about things after that cold pool and relaxed easterly flow. Bloody good cold effort that.

Haven't looked at the charts for about a month so it has been fun to load up ECM and see a scandi high in situe with the Azores attempting to ridge here and there toward Greenland before the inevitable Atlantic trough disruption.. Still busy at work and home. The wee guy is now just walking and tearing about the place and with Mrs L back to work, seriously isn't time for much weather geekery which is a pain.

Hopefully the clock changes this weekend fire us into some new weather and if not at least we have the lighter evenings heralding thoughts of spring and summer...

• Like 2

Posted

Good luck to those on the west coast who are likely to see some warm sunshine today. Over here it's the usual easterly dross. Dull, gloomy and chilly. Even the haar can't be bothered.

• Like 1

Posted

It's even more misty here today than it was yesterday (and a lot more drizzle) can't say this weekend will be 1 to remember weather wise for a while

• Like 1