Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Weather Discussion 27/01/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Bird with cigarette blamed for fire!Posted Image

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-26464789

Back on topic... I'm looking forward to some dry weather next week if the high pressure comes to fruition.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

Big squall racing through Lochgelly atm with winds really gusting (feels like about 50mph), lots of small hail, rain and sleet. Cool!

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Snowing in Glasgow Centre!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

Big squall racing through Lochgelly atm with winds really gusting (feels like about 50mph), lots of small hail, rain and sleet. Cool!

And now crystal clear skies and lovely sunshine!

Posted

Hey guys. Got back from a freezing cold canada yesterday and looks like I brought the snow with me. :D

Here's a couple pics from my trippost-10705-0-66040800-1394191229_thumb.jpost-10705-0-27008800-1394191260_thumb.jpost-10705-0-40161900-1394191309_thumb.jpost-10705-0-20174000-1394191344_thumb.j

Apologise for them being on their side. I can't figure out how to turn them when uploading from iPhone.

• Like 3

Posted

Big wintry shower ongoing. Hard to believe it like this after all the mild of recent days and hard to believe it be gone by tomorrow

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

Light snow/graupel shower in Edinburgh City centre

Yep. And 20 minutes before it felt quite warm in shelter from the wind.

Posted

Started this morning  at 7c and has fallen since to 1c with a gale force west wind and we have just had a brief heavy snow shower . The wind this morning broke a gate which trapped and killed a sheep as it swung off its hinges so good start to the day.

Edited by Northernlights

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Who'd have thought it (except NL)? Temporary white-outs on the north coast now, been building up all morning.  Windy enough to break trees too, and proper snow - like I've not seen all winter - down to sea level.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Hail shower E.Lothian

Posted

Heavy snow shower here just now. It has snowed on more than a dozen occasions this season but it lacked any meaningful event. It isn't too late to get a decent event but now that we are in spring - and we already have secured some nice wintry spring conditions today - I think many of us are looking forward to drier, brighter and warmer spring weather over the coming weeks and months after what we had to endure this winter.

Posted

Sunday should be better at Glenshee, even it was limited to the lowest tows today by the wind and Saturday is forecast to be gustier still. All runs back to the carpark level still fine between the fences. From the Cairnwell side, even if the track under the Baddoch Chair starts to go, Tiger Gully (which goes round towards the back of the base building from the bottom of Claybokie is likely loaded - though not been down there to verify that)!

Due to the effect of the precipitations shadow from the main core of the Cairngorms and so much of the seasons snow coming from the SW, the Lecht simply has had far less snow than Glenshee (CairnGorm has also had nowhere near as much falling snow, but has seen huge amounts drift in off the Plateau over the last 3 months). So though the Lecht looks thin and patchy, that's not the case tonight on the lower slopes at Glenshee and CairnGorm.

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level

feeling rather chilly today in that wind and a few snowy showers blowing through which was a bit of a surprise considering the weather said it would only be above 200m but its the same old story as all winter nothing able to settle but still good to see some white stuff falling from the sky.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Had a drive this afternoon which was quite interesting above about 200m with horizontal thick blowing snow.  Why couldn't we have that in January? As soon as the sun came out today, the mercury was shooting back up...

See these - the difference a shutter speed makes...

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning Kilties! Today we are basking in glorious sunshine with a gentle breeze and a balmy 16c. The daffs are swaying gently, the wee birdies are tweeting and chirping and we have bunnies bouncing on our neatly mown lawn. Everything is drying out nicely now, the trees are in bud and I'm so warm I've switched off the central heating!  A happy spring day at last!

PS: I am a liar Posted Image

Blawin' an absolute hoolie up here, horizontal rain, ferry cancelled, massive puddle at back door, birdies gone into hiding and daffs nearly flattened by the, ahem, gentle breeze. Welcome to a Skye Spring!!!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

God woman I wis half packed to come up there!! The birdies doon here are wearing oilskins and crampons and hinging on sideways in the hedge Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

My daughter is white water rafting on the Tay down to Grandtully today. Was sleeting at 9AM but temps now rising. The water will be pretty cold I imagine even if the air temp is on the rise.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Been a wee bit breezy up here today.....

post-18218-0-57345500-1394285684_thumb.j

• Like 3

Posted

Minimum damage done to ski centres today.A wee top up tomorrow then dry spring conditions next week will create spring granular snow.There is talk of a major snow event next weekend above 1000ft could be interesting!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Looks like a there's a possibility of some widespread snowfall as we go into the last part of the Month!

post-21143-0-18569000-1394309212_thumb.ppost-21143-0-00739200-1394309213_thumb.ppost-21143-0-62320100-1394309213_thumb.ppost-21143-0-33685400-1394309214_thumb.ppost-21143-0-94187500-1394309214_thumb.ppost-21143-0-59376900-1394309215_thumb.ppost-21143-0-20480300-1394309216_thumb.p

Yes its two weeks away but its possible as some other models show uppers well in favour of snow. Only one can hope.Posted Image Posted Image

Posted

Well I think most people on here have read me saying that N and E winds are much more likely in the spring all the way to late June in this country.  Have seen lots of snowfall over the years when we have been sowing spring barley in April.

I always count March as a winter month in the north of Scotland as the countryside is at its barest and birds and animals search for food constantly.  The bird feeder is being emptied on a daily basis now when two months ago I only needed to top it up once a week.

Nature usually likes balance and from a non scientific basis I feel cool or cold weather is very likely this spring. Some of the science is backing me up on this.

Very windy today with a maximum temperature of 9c .Some of the violent gusts this morning blew round bales out of the sheds and there   are lots of broken branches again. Big change from yesterday at 1.5c  in the afternoon with snow showers