Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Weather Discussion 27/01/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted

just goes to show how bad a winter we have had and why the ski resorts have so much snow up there

Posted ImageBg8KytVCMAE8mLM.jpg

don't think its the wettest ever but certainly the wettest in the last hundred years

I am considering myself lucky to live on the Moray firth coastal strip.  One of the few places in the UK to be below average. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!
Image of polar vortex at its peak, January 2014

NASA image shows the polar vortex as it plunged into the United States, on its peak day of January 6, 2014.

Posted Image

Image credit: NASA

Blistering cold air from the Arctic plunged southward this winter, breaking U.S. temperature records. On January 6, 2014, alone, approximately 50 daily record low temperatures were set, from Colorado to Alabama to New York, according to the National Weather Service. In some places temperatures were 40 degrees Fahrenheit colder than average.

A pattern of winter winds that spin high above the Arctic, known as the polar vortex, typically blow in a fairly tight circular formation. But in late December 2013 and early January 2014, the winds loosened and frigid Arctic air spilled farther south than usual, deep into the continental United States.

This image is made possible by NASA’s Atmospheric Infrared Sounder, AIRS, in conjunction with the Advanced Microwave Sounding Unit, AMSU. The two work in tandem to sense emitted infrared and microwave radiation from the Earth to provide a three-dimensional look at Earth’s weather and climate. The two instruments make simultaneous observations all the way down to the Earth’s surface, even in the presence of heavy clouds.

click here to go to NASA’s page on The Big Chill.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!
Globally, January 2014 had highest temps since 2007

January 2014 also marked the 38th consecutive January and 347th consecutive month (almost 29 years) with a global temperature above the 20th century average.

According to NOAA scientists, the globally-averaged temperature over land and ocean surfaces for January 2014 was the highest since 2007 and the fourth highest for January since reliable record keeping began in 1880. January 2014 also marked the 38th consecutive January and 347th consecutive month (almost 29 years) with a global temperature above the 20th century average. The last below-average January global temperature was January 1976 and the last below-average global temperature for any month was February 1985.

Most areas of the world experienced warmer-than-average monthly temperatures, with the most notable warmth across Alaska, western Canada, southern Greenland, south-central Russia, Mongolia, and northern China. Parts of southeastern Brazil and central and southern Africa experienced record warmth, contributing to the warmest January Southern Hemisphere land temperature departure on record at 2.03°F (1.13°C) above the 20th century average. Temperature departures were below the long-term average across the eastern half of the contiguous U.S, Mexico, and much of Russia.

However, no regions of the globe were record cold.

Read temperature highlights of January 2014 from NOAA

Posted Image

January 2014 blended land and sea surface temperature anomalies in degrees Celsius

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Mornin' Kilties! What can I say....the weather is truly pish. Anything decent on the horizon? Like sun, or calm, or just dry would do!

Edited by mistyqueen
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

The sun was out here this morning clear blue sky and felt quite alright. Raining now :(

Posted

Mornin' Kilties! What can I say....the weather is truly pish. Anything decent on the horizon? Like sun, or calm, or just dry would do!

This has been one of those winters when our wintering sheep must be glad they came here from your island for the winter to the driest corner of the UK. They have done very well with almost no rain and lots of wind to dry their fleeces if it did rain.Must have been one of the windiest winters I can remember. Again today after after some rain this week we have strong southerly winds drying it up again.The current  temperature of 5.8c does feel very cold with the wind chill however.

Planning to dress and treat the spring barley seed next week, don"t despair fellow kilties the snow will arrive as soon as we plan this.Late springs are quite normal up here and after such a long period of south winds we are due some northerly winds to balance things out.

On a different point snow patch survival on the hills this summer must be looking good as all the snow  must be on northern facing slopes out of reach of the sun.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Well the wind is fair getting up, looks like more incoming for next week too:(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

I was at Glenshee today and experienced a bit of everything. Started off windy and cloud with some rain, sleet and snow at various points. Despite the forecast for it to get worse as the day went on it actually got better. Wind never really died down but it dried up a bit and in the afternoon what fell from the sky was snow rather than the earlier rain or sleet. The sun even made a few brief apperances.

Both the wife and I really enjoyed the days skiing and we're knackered (she's returned to bed already). Plenty of snow still up there although it was getting a bit soft, especially lower down.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

More Atlantic washing machine action, a fair old breezy night. High time the weather served us up something different, this is getting very boring !

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Been raining heavily for over 12 hours now in very gusty winds. At least it's a Sunday. In the top 5 or so worst days this winter and that's saying something.

Northernlights did you still have dust blowing about? I noticed when I went to Stirling it wasn't that wet and when I came down on the train you hit Kilmarnock and from there south it just gets wetter and wetter on the west coast

Posted

Been raining heavily for over 12 hours now in very gusty winds. At least it's a Sunday. In the top 5 or so worst days this winter and that's saying something.Northernlights did you still have dust blowing about? I noticed when I went to Stirling it wasn't that wet and when I came down on the train you hit Kilmarnock and from there south it just gets wetter and wetter on the west coast

Yes dust was blowing off the farm road late   yesterday but we have some rain just started this morning at 10c. There are still some problems with private water supplies in the area as ground water levels are low, so drought still beckons in this area this summer unless we get north winds and some snow this spring.

• Like 1

Posted

Pause for thought:

Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted

Actually not been too bad a day here. Started off at 11.3C at around 8am but has dropped off during the day to a current 9.0C. Been largely dry all day with only some light drizzle but quite a strong wind. More spring like than Feb but not unplesant.

Posted

For anyone interested there  is an aurora across the Firth tonight a few minutes ago. Its only a moderate one but the temperature at 5.9c and very strong wind makes it too cold to stay out there to see if it gets better.

• Like 4

Posted

Evening all, back from a weekend up North. Lots of snaw on the hills.

post-2849-0-47602900-1393190327_thumb.jp

Saturday was a great day if a tad breezy,

post-2849-0-37248400-1393190328_thumb.jp

but drive doon A9 this evening was interesting. Blown all over.

• Like 4

Posted

It so quiet on the weather front today. Went for a walk without the winter jacket and was glad I did.

Since it is so quiet I thought I'd bring some music/geology/ weather to this Sunday evening.

This song by 'Loch Lomond' (they hail from NW USA) is called 'Made of Ink' about Mt. St. Helen erupting in 1980. Ritchie woke up the morning after and thought it had snowed overnight. No. It was 6 inches of ash.

• Like 4

Posted

It so quiet on the weather front today. Went for a walk without the winter jacket and was glad I did.

Since it is so quiet I thought I'd bring some music/geology/ weather to this Sunday evening.

This song by 'Loch Lomond' (they hail from NW USA) is called 'Made of Ink' about Mt. St. Helen erupting in 1980. Ritchie woke up the morning after and thought it had snowed overnight. No. It was 6 inches of ash.

Interestingly the event in 1980 at Mt. St. Helens literally blew the uniformitarian Geologic interpretation to smithereens:

http://creation.com/i-got-excited-at-mount-st-helens

And simultaneously demolished the holy grail of the radioactive dating methods:

http://creation.com/radio-dating-in-rubble

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Interestingly the event in 1980 at Mt. St. Helens literally blew the uniformitarian Geologic interpretation to smithereens:

http://creation.com/i-got-excited-at-mount-st-helens

And simultaneously demolished the holy grail of the radioactive dating methods:

http://creation.com/radio-dating-in-rubble

Lol, didn't realise science was so self-defeating Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image ... get a grip man.

Day of mixed weather here, went for a Sunday constitutional with Ms HC and nearly got blown away, never mind the horizontal rain and rainbows.

No sign of northern lights, Northernlights. (been waiting to get that one in for years).

My contribution to the mild winter: we've burnt maybe two thirds of the wood this winter compared to the last few - we've had very few days when the stove's been on before lunch, more often late afternoon, whereas previous winters, first one down in the morning got the stove going.

Also, I've scraped ice off the car once so far this winter. Am I tempting fate? Please, mongooseing please yes.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Mornin' Kilties! My Goad, whit a weekend! Ma hoose is leakin! Rain ( horizontal! ) forced into the tiny cracks in the wall had me trying to catch the drips in saucepans, bowls etc. Dry and calm now thankfully, a bit up and doon this week weather wise I see, so best not rush to put all the saucepans away just yet! Temp 6.9c and pressure at 996, with a sunny icon on the weather station....I live in hope!

Posted

Temps of 6.3/3.6C at 8:30am this morning, grey, light rain and a fairly light breeze.

Not too bad a day yesterday even if it was a bit windy. After a mere 5.5mm of rain in the last week the paths around the local woods are at last beginning to dry out a bit and aren't quite the quagmire they were two weeks ago.

I didn't take many as visibility wasn't great at times and I was busy enjoying the skiing but here's some pictures from Glenshee on Saturday. They were taken looking into Coire Fionn. The poma you can see in the first picture is the one that runs up Glas Maol, which wasn't running. A real pity as there looked like some really good snow up there.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: any storms

Morning all even by a standard tross achs weekend that was a real      p I s h  one over 60mm rain Sat am till Mon am river teith in calendar.   And river forth in aberfoyle  running very high  more rain forecast I wonder if the government  Will call for a slow worm meeting

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

Nae Slow Worms nor Cobra's on the agenda the day!No, no it's A' aboot the Black Gold the day!!!Big Innes

Edited by Big Innes Madori
  • Like 2