Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Weather Discussion 27/01/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

Still a few forlorn patches of snow in the garden.....and still not particularly mild.  I'm starting to like this set-up if it means the hills get utterly plastered......assuming we can ever get up into them when there's no murk or gales or whiteouts of course!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Feeling cool and damp here. 5.5C. Frost for a time last night before the cloud came in. A snow cover again this morning up at my mums in Highland Perthshire but only a cm or so.

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

I was at Glenshee yesterday and it was epic. Blue skys and powder...I honestly felt like I was in a French Apline resort. Just a great buz about the place. they ran out of hire equipment and stopped traffic coming up the hill that's how busy it was!

To be honest this weather is not particularly interesting but at least it's not screaming Westerlies and 12c. The hills will have a net gain above 2500ft this week with slight thaw below this however. Just a bit of an inversion with the upper temperatures at the moment. Hence the reason my area was 1c last night but it was just drizzle.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

probably not what everyone is wanting to hear but personally that's me calling winter over as far as getting a decent block in place and some good cold and snow.

doesn't mean we wont get the odd brief cold spell but I really cant see anything better coming along for us this time round and another long wait till next winter looks on the cards till we see the deep cold.

there are some real encouragements in there for next winter that we can take from this winter and I do believe next winter we could see a good one.

1.  even though we have had a raging vortex this winter we have still had attempts at blocking and even had a scandi high in place for a while even though it didn't hit right for us which would say to me blocking is still big just now just the vortex killed us this time.

2.  next winter the sun should be quiet again and I know everyone isn't sold on the effects from this but we cant get over the fact the 2 winters we have seen in recent times since this all started which have been milder is the 2 winters we have had a solar peak and this time worse than last but sunspot numbers have stayed higher for a longer period this time.

3.  next winter we will be under an east phase of the QBO which will improve our odds greatly of getting blocking in place.

4.  first tentative signs in the SST anomalies that the AMO may be flipping to its cold phase with cold anomalies showing up through the tropics which if it does flip could aid colder incursions from the west. (also aids future winters as we should start to gain sea ice back on our side of the pole hopefully back to old levels with ice from Iceland to scandi which would help with getting cold air in from the north) but ice to they levels may be a good few years off yet.

now I hope I am wrong about this winter being over and us not getting anything decent but really just cant see it happening but the weather does like to make a total idiot of us sometimes so hopefully it does this time as well but the vortex still looks too strong to me and isn't for being broken down.

Edited by Buriedundersnow
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Hey guys, very quiet in here.

I was looking for some advice, I know many of you are keen skiers so I was wondering if you could help me. 

I am off work this week on holiday, I was suppose to go to Aviemore with the wife and 3 year old son but cancelled it as I realized my car tax and insurance is due this month, doh!

My son is only 3 but he is just as mad about the weather as I am and he really wants to see snow and go sledging. I was thinking of taking him up to Glencoe for the day to go sledging and have some fun in the snow. I was on the website and it said sledging is free and I just have to pay for the chairlift which is great. 

Has anyone been sledging there and is it worth the trip? 

Posted

Glencoe sledging can probably be done from car park just now so need for chair.up the chair there are a few good bits near the wall T bar but requires a walk.Basically once you are up the chair there are loads of gentle slopes to use.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Glencoe sledging can probably be done from car park just now so need for chair.up the chair there are a few good bits near the wall T bar but requires a walk.Basically once you are up the chair there are loads of gentle slopes to use.

I'd agree with this. Glenshee is easy/quickest from the central belt and with snaw to the carpark, plenty sledging with no ticket needed.

Also a decent cafe at base level if I recall correctly.

If you are going to get a lift ticket, sledge 'The Tiger'....Posted Image 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning all! Been very quiet on here the last few days, that just shows how pish the weather really is. 4c up here, just had a wee shower. Oh, and I heard the birdies tweeting at 6am today, so that surely means that autumn, er, winter is nearly over and that spring is chapping on the door!

Posted

Morning all! Been very quiet on here the last few days, that just shows how pish the weather really is. 4c up here, just had a wee shower. Oh, and I heard the birdies tweeting at 6am today, so that surely means that autumn, er, winter is nearly over and that spring is chapping on the door!

We have your weather today  very wet, very foggy, currently 3.9c and birds silent.

Edited by Northernlights

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Woke to blue skies and loads of birdies, went for a wash and came out to grey dull skies and jackdaws arguing. This weather is the pits.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Thanks for the info guys. Gonna head up to glencoe early tomorrow morning. Will take my camera :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Grey, misty with light rain here most of the morning. It was 5.1/4.8C at around 8am this morning with a balmy overnight low of 4.7C, so not even a hint of a frost despite the lack of wind.

Not completely giving up on Winter yet but then again I'm also not holding my breath waiting for it to finally make an appearance.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Sun attempting to break through after a damp and misty morning. Feeling milder at 7.3C.

Posted

Thanks for the info guys. Gonna head up to glencoe early tomorrow morning. Will take my camera Posted Image

we were thinking of doing that with the wee wan at the weekend go up to glencoe and see how it is and if we have no joy head to nevis range.

how much do they charge for the lifts and do you have to pay for parking and that as well?

Posted

we were thinking of doing that with the wee wan at the weekend go up to glencoe and see how it is and if we have no joy head to nevis range. how much do they charge for the lifts and do you have to pay for parking and that as well?

Think its £11.50 for the chair and the Gondola at Nevis £6.50 for kids over 4 ,Glencoe £10 or £5 kids.
  • Like 2

Posted

Or in other words, it cannae be as pish as this year Posted Image

Personally I haven't given up on major snowfall this winter/spring, there is still a lot of cold air in the NH, so why not?

I hope we don't see another winter like this for many years to come as I'm sure we all are except maybe the ski centres lol.

I haven't totally given up either with regards a decent dump but cant see us getting anything prolonged maybe just a frontal dump or a few days with some sort of easterly element but really cant see us getting a block set up to give us weeks of snow but I may be wrong.

I already have my theories on what has went wrong for us this winter and I think its all down to that positive SST anomaly in the north pacific which has constantly been throwing up an Aleutian ridge and producing a cross polar flow forcing pieces of the PV into the US along with just the overall power of the PV this year and it not wanting to be broken down it just kept powering up the jet as it dropped pieces into the US and knocked down all ridging we had and even when we managed to get attempts at ridging it was forced too far east like with the scandi block that got in and couldn't do anything or get over this way as there was too much energy going into the atlantic.

well that's my thoughts on it anyway.

Think its £11.50 for the chair and the Gondola at Nevis £6.50 for kids over 4 ,Glencoe £10 or £5 kids.

cheers for the info Posted Image

I think i'll just walk up the hill Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Wet here Posted Image and the birds are still singing their hearts out.

I've bought all my garden seeds, so maybe it'll be the time where the weather decides to throw some snow into the forecast ! just in time for my planting lol

My brother was also bemoaning the fact his new snow shovel hasn't been out the hut yet! So that's two signs off weather to change can anyone add a third, just for luck?

• Like 1

Posted

Aye it's been awful. However Ski centres doing well. What I can't get over is never seeing the local canal frozen. Just seems to be a permanant late autumn. You never know with March what it will bring.

• Like 1

Posted

BUS, you'd be as well heading to Glenshee, loads of snow and sledging areas by the road. West is best for silly snow depths and buried buildings but for snow play Shee will have plenty. Free to park.

• Like 1

Posted

BUS, you'd be as well heading to Glenshee, loads of snow and sledging areas by the road. West is best for silly snow depths and buried buildings but for snow play Shee will have plenty. Free to park.

will look into it will need to see how far it is for traveling as finances aren't great the now busy paying a solicitor £170 and hour for doing nothing.

I see the models are still taking the jaffa cakes out of us

post-18233-0-52059600-1392751470_thumb.gpost-18233-0-85178400-1392751460_thumb.g

we get an easterly and its still warm Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever is happening but partial to a snow drift

If you do intend to go to Glenshee, get there very early. I was stuck in a traffic jam for 1.5 hours to get past Glenshee to go to the Lecht on Sunday. Glenshee looked amazing for snow but with the crowds and queues it looked totally dismal. Good if you're into the dodgems!