Sign in to follow this  
Angelici Magiovinium

Scotland Regional Weather Discussion 27/01/14

An interesting set up across West Central parts of Scotland just now. Upper temps are slowly dropping as the low pulls away North East. More rain is moving in from the South West and with a light Easterly wind I wonder if more parts could start seeing snow.

Edited by Blizzardo
  • Like 2

After a disappointing day with wet snow, then sleet then heavy rain washing away what snow was on the ground I gave up on seeing snow. We were sat watching TV at my parents' (in Kilmacolm), then went to let the dog out and realised.....it's snowing heavily and it's all white outside. Quite remarkable given how wet it was earlier, it must have been snowing for quite a while. The lesson here is that a wee bit of altitude is good, and don't watch the weather cos it'll never do what you want it to :good:

Cmd get some pics up for me to drool at lolRainy and windy here

For those that haven't ventured over to the Winterhighland website, here is the last picture from the Ptarmigan Bowl...Posted Image

post-2849-0-26313500-1392238863_thumb.jp

• Like 8

Cmd get some pics up for me to drool at lolRainy and windy here

I'll try and get some pics in the morning, nowt more than a covering here and now a bit rainy. Still all white outside though, so all in all pretty impressive after the rain earlier on today. I wish someone had got a pic of my face as I opened the back door to see the snow coming down earlier, that would have been picture of the year :rofl:

• Like 2

Heavy wet snow has now turned more to sleet although my temperature has continued to drop. 1.7c/0.8c.

Temperature picked up this afternoon to 3C, snow turned to rain......but now 0.9C and snowing again.  All too wet out there just now but I'm sure the paps will be turning white.

Here in Nevis Area mountains have an unbelievable amount of snow on them, a sudden and pronounced rise in temp and resultant thaw will cause floodmageddon downstream.

Here in Nevis Area mountains have an unbelievable amount of snow on them, a sudden and pronounced rise in temp and resultant thaw will cause floodmageddon downstream.

This mornings temperature was around 2C at 8am under grey skies with an element of drizzle/light rain and a bit of a breeze. No frost in evidence but the rain/drizzle looked like it might be falling as something wintry on the hills to the West.

Plenty of snow higher up on the Cairngorms too, and probably most Scottish hills over 2000ft. In that respect a cool spring might be more welcome than a warm one, not only to avoid flooding but to let the ski centres benefit.

• Like 2

Snowing lightly at the moment. Ground is soaking though so obviously not laying. Temp 3.1/dp 2.8

Huge hail shower here made the ground all white again (either hail or snaw) I know it started as hail for sure

Sun's just made a welcome appearance in St Andrews. 4c/1c, wind has died down but still blowy at 31mph mean WSWly.

Spot the missing word in tomorrows forecast CMD?

Friday:

Dry for most of the day with some bright or sunny spells. Cloud increasing later with sleet and snow spreading north later in the day, strengthening easterly winds. Maximum Temperature 6 Â°C.

Posted Image

• Like 1

Hi Guys....guess what? It's raining! There was a decent dusting if the white stuff yesterday up towards Portree and Staffin, but hee haw at home. Currently 4.7, pressure 969.

well i got a decent day the last time I had to run around for appointments but unfortunately today didn't give me a repeat dose and decided to give a little payback.

left the house to rain which then turned to sleet then on to snow but the ground was too wet for it to settle but was enough to give some slushy mess on the ground.

no more snow after that just a few light showers of rain.

tomorrow looks interesting and I wasn't really expecting much with altitude and lets face it the snow gods just really hate Falkirk but after getting some snow out of what we saw this morning my anticipation levels for tomorrow have been raised slightly just hopefully it will snow for a time and give a covering because the models don't look too inspiring for cold and snow this morning.

Edited by Buriedundersnow

a few things I found around and about.

satellite of where we sit just now and the big blob of cloud I the atlantic is tomorrows rain /snow mix winding up

post-18233-0-76628100-1392310507_thumb.p

here is the winds for tomorrow at 1800 and for anyone who ventures into the strat thread this looks similar to the graphics recretos does for his strat stuff with the undulations

post-18233-0-56933200-1392310511_thumb.p

also found this

WSI Energy Weather â€@WSI_Energy 2h

CPC analogs showing that the Polar Vortex will make a return in the 11-15 day period... get ready from some cold! pic.twitter.com/CmFYbmsa8E

post-18233-0-91638600-1392310509_thumb.p

now look at that lovely high pressure to our north east and I so hope this is true plz plz plz as that would be really nice after what we have had to endure

• Like 4

Five hours and no posts oh dear. Maximum today was 5.6C with 3mm of rain/sleet.

• Like 5

Yes probably unprecedented in February...... Presume this means nae snaw tomorrow.....no info here means gonna have to look at the models myself at this rate......where's ure community spirit Scottish thread....these 4 kids mean I've no energy to look up the weather myself :)

• Like 4

these 4 kids mean I've no energy to look up the weather myself Posted Image

now now that's meant to be a womans line Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

us Scottish men are hard as nails and can take on anything

EDIT: yes a bit sexist but no snow and was bored.

Edited by Buriedundersnow
  • Like 2

Lol BUS no me I'm a broken man :) wife works a couple of evenings a week and that 5pm to 8pm slot on my lonesome makes me wonder how the fook does she do this all day :)

Must be cauld outside as I'm feeling a bit chilly tonight in the living room which is unusual

• Like 3