Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Weather Discussion 27/01/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Smashing day here with sunny intervals, a moderate breeze and a maximum temperature of 6.9c, currently 4.9c.  Not able to take much advantage of it though as have got man flu and have been banished to the other half of the house. A bit rich as Mrs Northernlights brought it home from school a week ago. Oh for some frosty weather to kill off some of these bugs! Young Mr. Northernlights is being a star feeding cattle and clearing a lot of broken branches from all the recent gales.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: any storms

These lovely pics of Monday 3rd's red skies in the morning… we had a really spectacular one in Embra too, but the day went on to be nothing particularly bad in the way of weather...I know a lot of "ye olde lore" are codswallop, but I wondered whetehr anyone has had a Red Sky in The Morning that has been a warning of a bad day...…or any other weather lore that's turned out right or wrong? (Look, at least it gives us summat to talk about other than going "nae snaw, pishing doon, waaaaaah"! :) )

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: any storms

Hi everyone been lurking for a while now time for a first post the weather lore that springs to my mind is if the ice in november can bear a duck the rest of the winter will be sludge and muck.I think there might be some truth in that one.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Welcome along Big Grey !

Finally recovered from Saturday shenanigans, out at mid-day for footy then home at 4am after works do.. Too old for that carry on !

The Atlantic continues dominating our weather as the winter that never was a winter continues..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

When was the last time we had a proper Greenland high?

Very good question indeed. What's a Greenland High ? Posted Image

One might eventually appear final third of February to remind us..there are small hints in GFS FI. Mind you we had small glimpses of the Greenie in October and also November that never made it to fruition, overpowered by the omnipresent vortex and booming jet. Looking back through some charts, it is almost as if that St Judes storm ear marked our set up for Winter.

This wants to be one, and having not looked at the charts for a few days, certainly less lower heights in the regions predicated for blocking, which in itself is encouraging. However, am sure this is all too little too late for many with the thoughts of a cold March not particularly welcomed by anyone given last years extended freeze.

post-7292-0-59191500-1391536303_thumb.pn

.. time to start hunting again.. :)

post-7292-0-76662100-1391536304_thumb.pn

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

Time will tell but I hear the clang of a spanner in the works of the "Winter's Over" machine...that GFS 12z gives something resembling hope.

Oh don't!  I can't bear even a wafer thin mint of hope this late on in a disappointing season Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Well today I have mostly seen lying snow by the road, falling snow with no wind on the hill, ridiculous depths of snow, powder, hardpack, sastrugi, crusty snow mushrooms, sun, rain, sleat and falling snow at road level. Well worth the effort.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

We have to take comfort that Glencoe has got 14ft of snow in places and its still snowing.Could be an epic Ski season and might last till May at this rate.

• Like 7

Posted

We have to take comfort that Glencoe has got 14ft of snow in places and its still snowing.Could be an epic Ski season and might last till May at this rate.

Good for the economy if nothing else!
  • Like 1

Posted

Update its snowing on A76 Ayrshire!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

E'ning all. Just been reading the Atlantic storm thread and quite a few have been commenting on the strength of the winds down there. Sounds really scary. Certainly the outlook for some southerners is really dreadful,   It just seems so hard to visualise what these people have gone through as we sit up here in relatively calmer and drier conditions. Their weekend looks absolutely horrendous as well.

I see the S word is starting to raise some interest in the MOD again. We have taken so many knocks this winter that I will believe it when it is breathing down my neck! I always find it a good guide to keep an eye on what's happening over in the USA. I think their weather is much easier to forecast so it gives us a better guide what to expect here. Certainly Joe B is expecting their February to be quite brutal, which I don't think bodes well for us? However, who knows, but nice to have at least a little interest again.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Was really windy here during the night - woke me up more than once and bizarre debris now in my garden which shall need investigating! Wet and windy still this morning. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

After y'day afternoon's nice calm, sunny interlude, it's back to windy, wet and foul pish.

OTR, will be interested to hear what debris you find...

this made me chortle earlier:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/shortcuts/2014/feb/04/sochi-double-toilets-winter-olympics-2014

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Absolutely tipping it down here this morning. Dead calm though.

Austria's fears for lack of snowfall appear to have proved fruitless then? Poland suffering too and also Iran.........UK however, continues to do the backstroke!!

http://plidd.com/watch.php?vid=b459d3441

http://krolowa-superstar.blog.pl/2014/02/01/potezne-zamiecie-na-lubelszczyznie-kilkaset-ludzi-odcietych-od-swiata/

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2014/02/04/349248/heaviest-snow-in-50-years-blankets-iran/

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

What weather do we have this morning? Hmm, let's see...ahh, 5C very windy, very wet. I could have probably told you that without getting out of bed too.

Head over to WinterHighland for your fix of snow pictures. Reports from what looked like a good day at several resorts are here...http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?21,2014-02-04

• Like 3

Posted

Dunno what's up with the radar, but it's been raining (light to moderate, occasionally heavy) for a couple of hours on the north coast and there's nothing showing up.  Useful.

edit.. I see now. It's raining so hard in Wales that there are no pixels left for us...

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 5

Posted

Snowfall: Last snowed 04 Feb 2014 Fresh snow 15cm Last 7 days 50cm Next 9 days 9cm Depths: Upper piste depth 330cm Lower piste depth 155cm Snow conditions: Piste quality Excellent Resort runs Soft Off piste snow Powder Lifts: Lifts open

5 out of 7

It's enough to just make you cry really Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

Absolutely tipping it down here this morning. Dead calm though. Austria's fears for lack of snowfall appear to have proved fruitless then? Poland suffering too and also Iran.........UK however, continues to do the backstroke!! http://plidd.com/watch.php?vid=b459d3441 http://krolowa-superstar.blog.pl/2014/02/01/potezne-zamiecie-na-lubelszczyznie-kilkaset-ludzi-odcietych-od-swiata/ http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2014/02/04/349248/heaviest-snow-in-50-years-blankets-iran/

"I always find it a good guide to keep an eye on what's happening over in the USA. I think their weather is much easier to forecast so it gives us a better guide what to expect here"Aye Blitzy, it appears that it's only fkn us that their withur affects? (Bassas)Big Well Pi55edaff Innes Edited by Big Innes Madori
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Well not too bad a day surprisingly. Rain at first then sun and cloud. Now a bit duller but on the whole not bad - at least not wet!

Hoping these new storms aren't too damaging for those in the south, looks bad on the news.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

And what do we have here? Same old, same old! At least it's dry (ish ) and the gales that were forecast didnae bother to turn up. Ach.....fair scunnered!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Scunnered is a guid word Misty Queen. 

I've just depressed myself by looking at pics of ice sculptures amid falling snow in Japan and also by viewing the new york webcams and its snowing there too!

Away to bake - am fair fed up

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

It was sunny and still and beautifully crisp and chilly late morning, you could see your breath in the sunshine - but then it went so dark we had to have the lights on by lunchtime, and then it started drizzling. It's not even proper drizzle. It's more like how a tired toddler cries when there isn't actually anything wrong, it's just that they're tired and they start grizzling. the weather in Embra is tired and complaining and about to throw a tantrum except it's too tired. It's grizzling, not drizzling. 

• Like 3

Posted

It was sunny and still and beautifully crisp and chilly late morning, you could see your breath in the sunshine - but then it went so dark we had to have the lights on by lunchtime, and then it started drizzling. 

It's not even proper drizzle. It's more like how a tired toddler cries when there isn't actually anything wrong, it's just that they're tired and they start grizzling. the weather in Embra is tired and complaining and about to throw a tantrum except it's too tired. 

It's grizzling, not drizzling. 

Time to throw the toys out perhaps...Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level

ah well yesterday was too good to be true back to the same old crap we have had to deal with this winter.

too busy to post any charts or that just now might do a post later but there are a few small signs coming into the models we may have some chance of something wintry in the second half of the month it doesn't look to be anything prolonged at this stage but we may see some colder intrusions and possibly some snow chances along with it. 

• Like 3