Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Weather Discussion 27/01/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Interesting item for sale here.  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Funicular-Railway-/131106658086. Design parameters not coping with this years snowfall!!!!!

Excellent!! :)Duly passed on in FB… 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Frost and Thunderstorms

Snow lying on the ground this morning but virtually all gone due to the heavy rain/sleet now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Winter Storms, Heatwaves.

Latest band was an all rain affair again here in Coatbridge. I now give up and are looking forward to summer. Here is hoping for some early warm sunny spring weather :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Interesting posts from SW Saltire...if it helps ease the pain there's always someone in an equally or less snowprone location than you...and that would be me. As always in Scotland when it comes to wintry conditions proximity to the sea and elevation are the main players. Looking at LS's list of snow events in recent years (Freuchie is not that far away) either they didn't produce snow here at all or in greatly reduced amounts. The last time I had 1cm of snow on the ground was Dec 2010. Quite a few dustings last winter but none were more than a dusting/slushy coating. If I see no lying snow this winter then 4 out of the last 8 will have been entirely without lying snow. Deepest snowfall I've recorded was 11cm (just over 4") in Feb 2009.Speaking to locals who've been here a long time I'd say it's quite normal for there to be no lying snow in a winter in Crail. Probably around 30-50% of the time. I've been incredibly lucky to be here for two outstanding winters in terms of duration of lying snow (2009-10 and Nov/Dec 2010). My only remaining goal is to see one really heavy snowfall (6" or more). It can happen of course but I may be waiting a long time!I used to think Glasgow was relatively snowless in Scottish terms but moving here from there has put that into perspective. However the fact I'm in one of the sunniest and driest parts of Scotland makes up for it!

Thanks, to Damianslaw for the reply. You've said what I was trying to convey but in a much more eloquent way :) Also, February 96 - that was it I couldn't remember which years near then were bad. (I lived higher up on a hill just on the eastern side of Dumfries then but) December 95 (when I was born) we were totally snowed out of the house (trying to get back from hospital) also we had a huge snowfall between 97-99. 4 feet of lying snow, suggest the pictures. However, this is greatly enhanced by the extra 150 metres we had then - current location probably had 1-2 feet. So yes, I either get cold and little/no snow or the holy grail of tons of snow and completely snowed in, it's boom or bust for meHawesy - I'm sure there are a few that are worse off than me. Firstly those closer to the coast are far worse with frosts very rare. The golf course can be played on all year round due to warm sandy soil and very mild weather compared to where I live. I feel sorry fr you, as being near the east coast i'd assume you'd get a bit of snow. Where I live, as Damianslaw states I only have to travel 20 odd miles to get to local high ground southern uplands. (Only 20 miles to the coast as well). So I'm sure Wanlochhead (is that the right spelling I'm unusure) and other higher areas can get snow in March April but for me to see a spell of cold continental temperatures (that have been plentiful in recent years - December 2010 the warmest max in 2 whole weeks straight was -2c, with so little snow on the ground that was very impressive (also compare that to my lowest MINIMUM this winter of -2c shocking)- then time is starting to tick by.I'm slightly encouraged by signs in the MOD and the Strat thread. The (consistently all over the place) GFS does show a Greenland high. The models are unclear on what impact the Strat may have/ the direction we take after the next 10 or so days of supercharged Atlantic moisture. So if we can get a the daddy that is a GH then we can get cold and snow even for me but I need it to be close to happening in Mid February not forming the start of March, time is of the essence Edited by SW Saltire

Posted

The met office data (up to the 28th) show that for Northernlights' location there has been between 50 to 75 mm of rain (probably nearer 50) which is about 60% of normal. Whereas, I have had between 200-300mm. A blob of 300-500 exists where no hill is which suggests the whole area is nearer 300mm than 200, thus I've had in excess of 200% of normal.

Quick update: the snow never arrived. Incredibly heavy rain is present, driven on by 40-50mph gusts, which is falling almost horizontally. The only saving grace is that it has very recently turned to sleet, with flakes of snow in the wind. Good example of evaporative cooling I suppose...

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 4

Posted

At last! Heavy snaw! Pity it's too wet on the ground to stick though.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Same here Poots - horizontal white oot but very wet.

• Like 2

Posted

I give up.

I've now brought out all my summer clothes.

I'm confidently predicting that there will be no reason to not be wearing shorts and tshirts going forwards...it's depressing to see that the Stirling Snowshied has been upgraded to include the Anti-Cold function.

Nice to see my council tax being spent so wisely.

• Like 4

Posted

January 2014

High 10.3C 5/01/13

Low   -0.1C   7/01/13

Rain 16.5mm

Unbelievable temperature figures if accurate.  Low rain figure as well.  Seems to match up with Northern Lights regarding lack of rain in the Moray area.

Posted

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/media/image/r/5/Rainfall_amount_actual.gif

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/media/image/r/0/Rainfall_amount_average.gif

These are the graphs I was talking about, hopefully they work :)

Colsuth - you appear to be in the darkest brown area, which is the lowest category and driest in the UK. Count yourself incredibly lucky!

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 3

Posted

Turned out to be an absolutely pish afternoon. Earlier snow on the hills a distant memory, replaced by the familiar sound of rain lashing off the window! Awful! 

Posted

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/media/image/r/5/Rainfall_amount_actual.gifhttp://www.metoffice.gov.uk/media/image/r/0/Rainfall_amount_average.gifThese are the graphs I was talking about, hopefully they work :)Colsuth - you appear to be in the darkest brown area, which is the lowest category and driest in the UK. Count yourself incredibly lucky!

Good graphs sw. I only started using the weather station at the end of last year. I thought the rain gauge was inaccurate but maybe not. Next weeks weather doesn't look good for flooded areas unfortunately

Posted

Good graphs sw. I only started using the weather station at the end of last year. I thought the rain gauge was inaccurate but maybe not. Next weeks weather doesn't look good for flooded areas unfortunately

It shows the difference being in the lee of high ground makes and when the lows are just that bit furthe south than normal. Yes, luckily for this thread most of the storms next week will be most prevalent in Central Southern England but I still think most of Scotland will see a lot of rain. You northerners may yet again recieve the least amount of rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Your rain gauge is not necessarily inaccurate; the problem with all gauged rain data is that it's from point sources, which although might be placed to minimize very local causes of inaccuracy (so away from trees and buildings etc), rainfall does vary greatly at all scales.  You might be tempted to say that radar returns might be better but they're not - anaprop is a big problem in some areas and radar just misses some places altogether.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

The tide was extremely high today! If you peed in the Clyde the Port would have flooded! Was EXACTLY on the boundary between water and land. Never ever ever seen it like that before in my life but seen it twice this year already. Is something changing or is it just a once in so many year event??

Edited by Ross Andrew Hemphill

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Mark Vogan is suggesting more low level snow opportunities in the next 10 days. That's all it says. Anyone else think that??

Posted

Snow starved?

Tonight on More 4 they are showing 'The Year Britain Froze' about the December 2010 coldness. Sky HD138, Virgin HD 203 & Freeview 14.

After that they are showing 'Britain's Killer Storms' then 'Snowstorm: Britain's Big Freeze' about the extreme weather of February 2009.

I've still not seen a snow flake this winter but I did wake up to a sugar coat dusting so took a photo before it was wiped away.

Enjoy/cry at the programmes tonight and we will see snow before it turns to summer. Spring brings snow so loads of time left.

post-11598-0-95197900-1391280151_thumb.j

• Like 4

Posted

Mark Vogan is suggesting more low level snow opportunities in the next 10 days. That's all it says. Anyone else think that??

Tumbleweed floats by.....There will be very few apart from misguided people like James Madden et al who think this. The only chance I can see of some very transient snowfall which ,appears to be too far south for Scotland, is next Friday's low. On the northern edge there may be some wet snow to lowish (the 'ish' is a reference to my posts yesterday) I.e those of you who have say 100m+ might see some flakes.Anyway, the models are very undecided on this feature, timing, strength, location etc. Apart from that I see nothing else. We are not entering a period of blowtorch SWlies. So Cairngorm should surpass the 3m snow barrier quite soon and will have great cover until well into April/May barring a heatwave. Upper temperatures are still cool but nowhere near cold enough for good low level snow and are extremely marginal/too mild for low level transient snow in the next 10 days. I'm open to listen to other points of view but this is how I see the models at present. I hope they change. So in other words your source would appear to be looking for publicity to put it kindly...
  • Like 5

Posted

Oh the irony of it all. Woke up to a smidge of icy stuff on the car so went to Glencoe where it was snowing. The staff are actually wishing it would stop snowing cause they have too much and are spending inordinate amounts of time digging the lifts out! Meanwhile we can't enjoy it cause the weather is constantly pish! Anyway lots of snow up there and snowed hard all day so lapped the car park run which is alway s a good giggle! To cold/stormy/whiteouty to be on the hill proper. At least I didn't go to Glenshee and and be forced to drive home via Aberdeen!

And back home it's 4C and raining, AGAIN.

Same here Blitzy.Posted Image

Even up here this poor excuse of a winter has only given us one brief covering (1/2" - 2hrs - gone!)  of snaw which I think was a Sunday evening early - mid December.Posted Image

I have nivur known such a Snawless winter in A' mah puff.Posted Image

Fkn American Winter has & still is killing oor's  Posted Image(Bassas  Posted Image)

Edit.

At least our Ski Resorts are doing well Posted ImagePosted Image

Big Snaw Starved Innes http://f1.nwstatic.co.uk/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/search.gif.pagespeed.ce.njDx

sDFXqw.gif

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Well did manage to see sight of some wet snow today - allbeit washed away by copious rain.

This is like living in hell is it no!

So flippin seek of the weather.

Might have to have a beer to cheer myself up lol

• Like 4