Scotland Regional Weather Discussion 27/01/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Nothing to do with the weather, but...

New Scottish Defence Force.

Posted Image

Posted Image 

Dunno why this came to mind but anyway... 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

Bonkers snow here about an hour ago.....but not settling.  Snowing again now, mind.

...and this from the other night.  Fife all lit up :)

post-10976-0-05696500-1393716168_thumb.j

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Just went out to empty the overflowing recycling bin and it's snawin.

Wet snaw, but snaw aw the same.

Falling on flowering snowdrops, first crocus and daff stems.

1.9 C.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 1

Posted

Another lovely start to the day, third in a row, I could get used to this. Bright sunshine, 6c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

5C with sunny spells. Just a rogue shower early. Heavy sleet for a time last night.

A cover of snow in my mum's garden in Aberfeldy this morning though gone now. Local farmer says he expects more next week?? Not sure where he is getting that from.

Posted

Meanwhile still having problems with far too much snow in Glencoe. This is the Main Basin uptrack which they cannot get open cause it's keeps drifting in!

post-8494-0-86897700-1393773160_thumb.jp

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

I got.... wait for it.... SLEET!! Ten mins driving through sleet this evening, I was so excited I nearly hit a deer!  Then there was a badger a few mins later, what an exciting time!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Quite a decent weekend here weather wise. Saturday was bright and sunny pretty much all day, starting with a slight frost that didn't last long in the sun. Watching the kids footy in the afternoon the wind had an edge to it which reminded you that spring hadn't yet fully sprung. We had 3.5mm of rain sometime during the early hours of Sunday morning but dry and bright by the time I got up and just above freezing with no real sign of a frost. Went out for a run to take advantage and was overdressed as it wasn't as chilly as I thought it would be. There were signs though that the overnight rain had fallen as wet snow on the hills to the west,  but the sun had made that much less obvious by end of the hour that I was out. Later in the afternoon it clouded over and by the evening there was some light rain.

This morning started kind of damp but not wet and we've got a cover of white cloud with no breaks in it. Didn't note the exact temperature but sitting around 4/5C at 9am.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

post-21143-0-02610400-1393879302_thumb.j

Not a very clear picture but its a very thin crescent moon. It looks very nice!! 🌙🌙

• Like 1

Posted

Fairly cold here this morning first thing at 1.5c and sleet falling . Hills down to 600 feet have a fresh covering. Still only 2c but but breezy and sunny now. Been a strange old winter where even when it seems cold enough we never get snow to fall  at low level. Realise we have quite a few parameters to satisfy to get snow to fall but its made even stranger when you look at hills over 2000 feet have a solid mantle of snow. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

A bit nippy here this morning, but a very pleasant day yesterday, we even had sun! So, winter never having shown it's face yet has now definitely been given a big shove by spring!

• Like 1

Posted

The overnight ECM is promising if you like warm spring weather. Depending upon the position of the high pressure some places could be hitting high teens if not 20ºC within a week. My laptop isn't letting me copy and paste charts, or to save them properly, so you'll either need to have a peek or take my word for it. Does anyone know what might be causing my problem? I only get an option to save charts as a GIF or bitmap, and then can't post these images into the forum.

Yes please!! Can feel the warmth of the sun now and starting to think about days spent outside with the kids and in the garden

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Spring will definitely have sprung if ECM verifies. Not too far off that March week a couple of years back which delivered a weirdly warm and huge anomaly of a week.

Had to dig this one out, March 2009.

post-7292-0-99685000-1394005559_thumb.pn

ECM Day 6

post-7292-0-77616400-1394005076_thumb.gi

Some beautiful pictures on this thread of the mountains, may have to take a drive and take the kids sledging this weekend.

Apologies for not being on as often as I would like, new job at work demanding massive attention / travel, plus the good lady returning to work and having the wee guy to look after highly restrictive on time. ( ...that Plus the Atlantic driven muck beat me into submission..).

Good to see the hardcore Kilties still posting away. Top Effort.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Going to be a lot of melt in mountains today and tomorrow. Roller coaster temps but back to snow on Friday. Hopefully not too much damage. Think Nevis and Glencoe will come out about even. However Glenshee is already getting patchy at the car park area so this could do some damage!

Posted

Will a thaw/freeze cycle not help in the longer term? When we had the snow in late Feb 2010 it lasted for days on end as it thawed quite strongly and then froze solid into snowcrete.

Yeh higher up it will be fine. However Glenshee relies on the lower slopes for access. The lecht has had it as already pretty patchy there. Cairngorm shold be ok but the volume of snow is not exceptional lower down there. Could probably do without the temps going up in March as the freezing will be limited to higher areas.

Posted

Looks like a decent spell of settled weather in the next 7-10 days, although never especially mild here - nice to see a prominent azores high and a northerly jet stream this time of year, last year of course the jet was through the azores into Spain

• Like 1

Posted

Yeh higher up it will be fine. However Glenshee relies on the lower slopes for access. The lecht has had it as already pretty patchy there. Cairngorm shold be ok but the volume of snow is not exceptional lower down there. Could probably do without the temps going up in March as the freezing will be limited to higher areas.

Was hoping to get to Glenshee again this weekend but irrespective of any thaw, it's not looking great wind wise. Glenshee does have the chairs either side that I assume can be used to gain access higher up when the lower slopes are broken. Never been there though when that's been the case so I don't know if they do that and even if they do it'll cause big bottlenecks. Would be a shame to lose access to Coire Fionn & Glas Maol given how much snow there was in there 2 weeks ago. Webcam this morning is already looking far less white than it was.

Anyway, temperature at 8am in Kemnay was 9.2/7.2C, dry but cloudy and a fairly gentle breeze.

Posted

Was hoping to get to Glenshee again this weekend but irrespective of any thaw, it's not looking great wind wise. Glenshee does have the chairs either side that I assume can be used to gain access higher up when the lower slopes are broken. Never been there though when that's been the case so I don't know if they do that and even if they do it'll cause big bottlenecks. Would be a shame to lose access to Coire Fionn & Glas Maol given how much snow there was in there 2 weeks ago. Webcam this morning is already looking far less white than it was. Anyway, temperature at 8am in Kemnay was 9.2/7.2C, dry but cloudy and a fairly gentle breeze.

Well tommorrow is heavy snow but it will be lost in the downpour on Saturday. I am heading west on Sunday to Glencoe as the snow will be more reliable. Problem with Glenshee is that if you go up on the chair from the road then you have to come down by the chair and it's just not pleasant when it's like that. Thing is beyond this weekend things look like improving so might be just a case of one bad weekend and then back to full cover.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Latest forecasts indicate that the rain will not be so heavy in the East and come in later on Saturday. There was a fair bit of snow on the tow lines earlier in the week so they may well be ok. Models now showing cold and wet by the end of the following week so hopefully not too much damage will be done.

Posted

Um well sorry for the bad word but ootside right now it's Pish Posted Image Wet and miserable (earlier it was just drizzly and miserable)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Torrential Rain currently but there isn't a breath of wind at all and its very foggy too. ☔☔☔☔

Posted

Well tommorrow is heavy snow but it will be lost in the downpour on Saturday. I am heading west on Sunday to Glencoe as the snow will be more reliable. Problem with Glenshee is that if you go up on the chair from the road then you have to come down by the chair and it's just not pleasant when it's like that. Thing is beyond this weekend things look like improving so might be just a case of one bad weekend and then back to full cover.

Hopefully you're right about a temporary blip. Unfortunately 'West' is out of the question for us for a day trip. Glenshee and Lecht are under 1.5hrs drive each way, Cairngorm maybe 2.5hrs so kind of pushing it. Time & money limitations tend to dictate that we only tend to go if we can be pretty sure of a decent days skiing.

Posted

Although Glenshee is looking a lot less pretty I'm sure the main runs and uptracks will hold out for a while yet. Because nearly all the snow this season has fallen in high winds the fences and gullies have caught a really good deep base. Snow beyond Meall Odhar is exceptionally deep and even.

• Like 1