Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Weather Discussion 27/01/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted

busy paying a solicitor £170 and hour for doing nothing.

Been there, and got t-shirt.

Weather boring wet and unpleasant. Heading North at weekend as snaw deprivation is chronic.

Edited by Cheggers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

I am heading for Glencoe in the morning, I can't wait to see some proper snow :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning Kilties! Birdies still singing their wee hearts oot, snowdrops are nodding their heads and the daffs look like they'll be bursting into flower any day now. Winter? Where? Dry and calm here, 4.8c, pressure 1008.

Was watching the Olympics yesterday and there was a massive snow fall during the ski half pipe. Was sooooooo jealous. Anyhoo, best get up and on as I want to watch the curling this morning. 'Moan the boys! Oh, and the girls too, obviously! Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

A dry, calm, bland 4C here this morning. Much better than grey and rainy but not exactly exciting. Hoping the wind predictions for the weekend are wrong as I was hoping to get to Glenshee again but it doesn't look as if it would be too pleasant.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

As others have suggested at times, I bet we're going to see some epic Greenland blocking in late Spring. We'll probably then spend all summer looking at the synoptics and wishing it had been winter. I'm also starting to think it's a bad idea to be saying that at least next winter won't be as bad as this winter, as that's sure to jinx next winter too Posted Image

Perhaps next winter will be even worse! Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Currently 10.8C with 100% cloud cover but an approaching cold front will lower that temperature and clear the sky somewhat.

Posted

8.0/7.6C here at 8am and a similar 100% cloud cover to HS. Also grey, misty, damp and windy but only really some drizzle rather than 'proper' rain. The Meh word springs to mind again.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Somebody on another forum (not weather one) says that March will be the worst for 200 years. I think she is on that PC paid site. Anybody here heard that and does it look likely?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Can confirm the passing of the cold front with heavy squally rain and temperature now 8.8C (-1.9C/hour) - textbook!

Posted

Stormeh, love that second picture!

Anyway, what a turn around here this morning, still windy but it's now wall to wall blue skies! Which of course meas the sun is actually shining too, shocking! Temp in Dyce still climbing though, up to 9.0C now, which is the warmest in the last 6 days. Can it reach double figures (not that I really want it to)?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

Reached 8.6C here this morning but has since fallen back to 5.4C, thankfully.  Not willing to let go of the coolness just yet :winky:  Anyway that makes this the warmest day here since 21st December.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Well folks another day, bit damp this morning and the wind fairly strong. Sun now out and still windy. 

Whats the prognosis for next few days?? into next 10 days??

Posted

Reached 8.6C here this morning but has since fallen back to 5.4C, thankfully.  Not willing to let go of the coolness just yet Posted Image  Anyway that makes this the warmest day here since 21st December.

Topped out at 9.9C at Dyce @1200 by the looks of it before dropping back to 9.0C on the 14:00 reading. Not sure where it stand in terms of 'warmest day since...' but it'll be a few weeks I'd have thought.

Edited by Ravelin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Somebody on another forum (not weather one) says that March will be the worst for 200 years. I think she is on that PC paid site. Anybody here heard that and does it look likely?

Likely? probably.... if USA get their  next predicted severe cold shot. Rinse and repeated storminess

By Dr. Jeff Masters

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Short Link
Full Link

Published: 3:27 PM GMT on February 19, 2014

Fortunately (?) for the Midwest, this week's thaw will be short-lived, preventing the kind of major flooding that would result if all of the snowpack were to melt in a week. This morning's runs of the GFS and European models were better able to handle the evolving upper-air pattern over the Pacific Ocean, and it appears that their earlier runs seriously underestimated the strength of a ridge of high pressure forecast to build over the Western U.S. 6 - 10 days from now. This ridge will be accompanied by a return of the cold "Polar Vortex" over the Midwest and Northeast U.S., bringing bitter cold temperatures and strong winds. Temperatures 20°F below normal will likely invade the Upper Midwest on Sunday, and gradually spread southeastwards during the week. The peak cold is predicted to occur late next week, with temperatures 20 - 35° below normal covering much of the eastern 2/3 of the country.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Well Blitzen i suppose what we're getting isn't as serious as what they're getting in America. Sigh.

• Like 1

Posted

Evening all,

First temperature reading above 10c since 14th December. Managed 11c this morning. 12.5c at Kinloss, I see.

http://www.met.rdg.ac.uk/~brugge/pmextremes.html 

Edited by Hawesy

Posted

SAIS test pit site today for their Glencoe forecast area was on Meall a' Bhuiridh, on the area between the Spring Run and the Flypaper runs. Not an area you would associate with the deepest snow on the mountain. The measured snow depth at the test site was 1040cm (10.4m)!

On subject of Glencoe, love the moody light in photo 9 above! Posted Image

Edited by skifreak
  • Like 5

Posted

A bit breezy and a bit cloudy here this morning but dry and cooler than yesterday at 3.8/LL.LC at around 8am this morning. Actually it felt quite raw when I left the house, mainly due to the wind.

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level

just goes to show how bad a winter we have had and why the ski resorts have so much snow up there

post-18233-0-92682600-1392987277_thumb.j

don't think its the wettest ever but certainly the wettest in the last hundred years

• Like 2