Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Weather Discussion 27/01/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Am I the only one looking forward to a day of relative quiteness on the rain and wind front? The plan for Sunday is to get dust off the motorbike get out for a few hours for the first time this year. I usually ride all year round but this winter has been so wet this will be my first ride of 2014.

This weekend last year I went on a 400 mile round trip to Elgin & back. I got more snow than I bargained for. I almost came off once at low speed near Dufftown. Took some time out and took this photo.

Might even have a bbq if I get back and it is still daylight.

post-11598-0-70741900-1392500462_thumb.j

• Like 7

Posted

See the BBC have an article on their website about the meridional jetstream and how it was causing locked weather patternshttp://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-26023166 Surprised this was not mentioned before by their presenters on their forecasts when showing the jetstream. First north wind today for a long time and few light showers, currently 4c

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

See the BBC have an article on their website about the meridional jetstream and how it was causing locked weather patternshttp://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-26023166 Surprised this was not mentioned before by their presenters on their forecasts when showing the jetstream. First north wind today for a long time and few light showers, currently 4c

Interesting stuff NL!

It has been a very rare nice day here today which inspired me to put the boots on and get up on the hill tae enjoy the views.Posted Image

Lower fields are saturated and holding a hellish amount of water, but the hill was mostly firm and some patchy snaw up top from yesterdays latest pi5h attempt at something wintry.

Today's good spell has now developed in to a clear starry night wi that other rare weather type this winter (Frost!!!) Posted Image

Big sair liggit Innes Posted Image

Edited by Big Innes Madori
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

From ski Scotland this report re Cairngorm. Amazing depths.

All runs have amazing amounts of snow. Snow depth upper slopes Average 900 CM Middle slopes Average 500 CM Lower slopes Average 100 CM

Not quite as much at Glenshee but hut at top of Cairnwell said to be 20 feet below surface.

9 metres??? 9 swearing is not big or clevering metres?! That's insane, that has to be the most ever recorded in Scotland by quite a long way and it's almost certainly the most anywhere in the world at the moment. If spring is even remotely cool we're going to have skiing into May - hell, we might even see the fabled Northern Corries Glacier from the Little Ice Age re-emergePosted Image

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Just been trawling for news of southern devastation. I came up with some waves going over a bridge (Newlyn, Cornwall, nice video), a few trees blown over in various places, a blown over trampoline, and, most shockingly, a flooded beach Posted Image . Oh, and the police are investigating a hole in the ground in Hemel Hempstead Posted Image  - just one hole, not in Blackburn. They have been asked to stop digging but are reported to want to get to the bottom of it.  And still endless sniping about climate change from all sides that makes everyone look really silly.

Typical scottish wit or sh. It

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning Kilters! Braw mornin' up here, calm, clearing skies and the sun is just about up. Mair o' this anyday! Could someone arrange it please? Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted

Great start to the day here too. Clear blue skies, currently +2c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

I'd like to nominate BoyCatchI to be awarded his ceremonial SnowFlakes so he can be regarded as a fully fledged snowfreak:

On the way back from Kilmacolm to Kelso on Friday night the sleet was lashing down as we headed past Glasgow Airport and by the time we got to J24 it was snowing heavily. After we crossed the Kingston Bridge, BoyCatchI pipes up from the back of the car (with a wee giggle), "This is the best day of my life!!". Assuming that he was happy because we hadn't seen each other for a couple of months I replied "Aww, that's nice, I've missed you too". Without missing a beat he replied, laughing his head off "Nooooooo Dad, it's the best day of my life because of the awesome snow", after a thoughtful pause he added, "but it's quite nice to see you too". I was so chuffed with him, a proper little Catch off the block Posted Image

Seconded. Kids eh? Can't keep 'em down for long.

<grits teeth as radio 1 starts up>

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

In Edinburgh this morning and although 8C by 13:00 the wind of the Forth would skin a rabbit.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Posted Image

He had his Phil! Posted ImagePosted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Amazing photo Scotster!

My meagre offerings from ground level. Didn't go on a big journey on the bike. Probably about 40 miles. Hands were very cold despite having winter Halvarssons Swedish winter gloves. Went from Clarkston to Newton Mearns, Neilston, then over the rollercoaster B road to Stewarton. Then along the old A77 and over Eaglesham Moor which is where I took these photos and got some feeling back in my fingers. There was still patches of snow at the Whitelees Wind Farm and Arran looked stunning but by the time I stopped the cloud had moved in so the first photo doesn't show up a snowy Goat Fell.

It was nice to be out on dry roads and see the sun.Posted Image

post-11598-0-92416500-1392582623_thumb.j

post-11598-0-58449100-1392582663_thumb.j

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Amazing photo Scotster!

My meagre offerings from ground level. Didn't go on a big journey on the bike. Probably about 40 miles. Hands were very cold despite having winter Halvarssons Swedish winter gloves. Went from Clarkston to Newton Mearns, Neilston, then over the rollercoaster B road to Stewarton. Then along the old A77 and over Eaglesham Moor which is where I took these photos and got some feeling back in my fingers. There was still patches of snow at the Whitelees Wind Farm and Arran looked stunning but by the time I stopped the cloud had moved in so the first photo doesn't show up a snowy Goat Fell.

It was nice to be out on dry roads and see the sun.Posted Image

I like those pictures lots as well as Scotster's. Motorbikes & turbines, two of my lives...Posted Image

Did one of my evening commutes just now and saw -1.5c at Kinbrace and thought, crikey, that's low. Then thought, hang on, this is Kinbrace in February, -1.5C? Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 1

Posted

I like those pictures lots as well as Scotster's. Motorbikes & turbines, two of my lives...Posted Image

Let me indulge you...

3 photos from Whitlees Windfarm in a freezing May 2013 with Irish artist Adrian Crowley.

Bike photo from Xmas Day 2008 with me and my friend Gerry at Loch Drunkie in the Trossachs. I've got the Yamaha XT660X and Gerry has the KTM 990 Adventure.

Back to Adrian Crowley. Stunning video that includes lovely footage of Ireland, mountains, clouds & stars.

Enjoy!

post-11598-0-50704400-1392588278_thumb.j

post-11598-0-91191400-1392588302_thumb.j

post-11598-0-63711400-1392588341_thumb.j

post-11598-0-29014300-1392588975_thumb.j

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
Not sure if this has been posted before. Quite cool.

Animated interactive global map of real time winds

Posted Image

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Typical scottish wit or sh. It

Miaow.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Good morning. Started off with a frost here this morning, broken high cloud and a temp of -1.5C at 7:30am. Clouding over a bit now though but flag outside the office is limp so no wind to speak of.

Would have preferred to have been at Glenshee today but lack of pre-booking a days holiday and my boss not responding to my text message yesterday put paid to that (bit of a long shot anyway but funny how if he ever needs something from me on a weekend he always gets a reply, even if it isn't exactly instant). Need to pray that this weekend doesn't end up stormy so the wife and I can try out our new skis/boots (visiting Decathlon when they have a sale on is fatal for your bank balance).

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Now, this doesn't happen often but.......

Posted ImageDSC00446.jpg

Events conspired in my favour this morning and I was able to hitch a ride from Perth to Drumochter and back, via Lochs Garry, Rannoch and Tummel.  Never seen Scotland looking so beautiful Posted Image

Fantastic shot! I cant wait to get up there in 2/3 weeks climbing, my last attempt around Christmas was impossible due to Hurricane force winds on the Hill.. So much snow on the mountains now which is also fantastic for the Ski Resorts, They had sold out at Glencoe by late morning yesterday.

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

-5.7'C last night, coldest of winter thus far, didn't see that coming! Posted Image

Just under 0'C here still.