Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Weather Discussion 27/01/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted

I'm now not bothered about snow, just, for the love of god, give me some frost.

I miss having to scrape my car !

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning Dahlings! I see Mr Breeze has made a rather unwelcome return....what a party pooper! Like everyone else I am longing for a bit o' blue sky and sunshine and am desperate to be shot of this pish we are having flung at us day after day. Anyone up for a Frost/Ice dance?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Morning Dahlings! I see Mr Breeze has made a rather unwelcome return....what a party pooper! Like everyone else I am longing for a bit o' blue sky and sunshine and am desperate to be shot of this pish we are having flung at us day after day. Anyone up for a Frost/Ice dance?

It's getting to the stage I'd be prepared to dance naked around a stone circle, Billy Connolly style, if I could be sure that would bring us a decent length spell of cold, calm weather.

Posted Image

Given up taking much notice of the temperature but I think from a quick glance this morning before I left the house I remember it being around 6.0C. Windy and back to grey skies after yesterdays flirtation with blue skies and sun. No rain yesterday and none today so far so that's one little bonus I suppose.

• Like 3

Posted

Morning all. Never bothered with a weekend update as it was the usual guff! Had a wee flurry 6am on Saturday morning but was washed away by 8am. Heading North in 2 weeks to get a snaw fix.

Some sunrise this morning. Blood red skies.

post-2849-0-14311000-1391424024_thumb.jp

post-2849-0-49797900-1391424024_thumb.jp

post-2849-0-81837800-1391424024_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Can confirm it was a great morning with a purple sky. Not seeing many snow prospects now. Just hope I can get up to Glencoe at the weekend.

Edited by November13
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Braw sunny day here and wasn't a bad day yesterday either - all a pleasant surprise :)

Hope some fabby charts come to fruition soon :)

Off for a wee peek at the MT.

• Like 2

Posted

Models no good so back to Glencoe and they've now lost their Ski Patrol hut completely!

post-8494-0-67214300-1391453598_thumb.jp

This is the normal view at that point.

post-8494-0-04596900-1391453668_thumb.jp

Might produce jealousy but still makes me smile, off to check it out in person tomorrow.Posted Image

• Like 9

Posted

Lucky you, I just don't get the chance for midweek ski trip these days. Too few holidays and too many demands on them unfortunately. Praying for a less windy weekend and I might get to Glenshee.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Saw on the news this evening a report mentioning I think 18 avalanches over this weekend. That must be some kind of record?

• Like 1

Saw on the news this evening a report mentioning I think 18 avalanches over this weekend. That must be some kind of record?

I was on the Buachaille in Feb 95 when a huge avalanche caught 3 climbers.  The Glencoe team were nearly caught in an another huge avalanche trying to locate them that evening.  We heard that there had been 10 or 11 observed avalanches that day, in Glencoe alone.  Tons of wet snow had been falling for days, rain and wind at sea level just like just now.  I hope anyone venturing into the hills over the next few weeks (months?) is very careful.

dave3

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

huge straw clutch

tonights ECM 12z at 240hr

firstly starting with the 500 anomalies charts the op run on left and mean is on right and possibly some chance of the atlantic being held at bay

post-18233-0-44387200-1391465163_thumb.gpost-18233-0-42850000-1391465165_thumb.g

now on to the op run pressure chart at 240hr and a few arrows

BLACK ARROW = ridge in the atlantic

RED ARROW = movement of trough

YELLOW ARROW = possible wind direction

now if we can get the ridge to stop the atlantic train and get the trough to our west to finally clear through we may actually have the chance of a north easterly component to our weather for at least a short time

post-18233-0-10655700-1391465151_thumb.g

now the 850 temp charts at 240 the left is the op and the right is the mean and we can see the op starts bringing cold temps back into scandi but probably most noticeable is the mean wants to bring in an even better looking cold pool

post-18233-0-07477500-1391465150_thumb.gpost-18233-0-10070600-1391465164_thumb.g

and just for a little food for thought the GEM 12z at 240hr is looking for a ridge in the atlantic as well

post-18233-0-45788600-1391465182_thumb.p

the GFS also had a lame attempt at a ridge but different timing so cant be bothered with the charts lol

obviously at day 10 it means nothing but it is the only little sign of hope I can find just now in the models

Edited by Buriedundersnow
  • Like 9

Posted

Sheesh, it really has died a death in here the last few days. Oh well.

Temperature of 5.1/4.1C at 8:30am in Kemnay with it just starting to rain after a full 2 days of zero precipitation. The rain was pretty heavy on my way to work but looks like it's eased off a bit now. Still grey and horrible looking out though.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

These lovely pics of Monday 3rd's red skies in the morning… we had a really spectacular one in Embra too, but the day went on to be nothing particularly bad in the way of weather...I know a lot of "ye olde lore" are codswallop, but I wondered whetehr anyone has had a Red Sky in The Morning that has been a warning of a bad day...…or any other weather lore that's turned out right or wrong? (Look, at least it gives us summat to talk about other than going "nae snaw, pishing doon, waaaaaah"! :) )

• Like 3

Posted

well after getting a small fix of the white stuff on saturday while back down in Kilmacolm.....the depression has now set in propoerly.  I would really be happy now if the sring/summer would arrive NOW!! managed to get out and wash the car on sunday, while as exciting as that is, it just doesnt cut the mustard!!

Aberdeen is meant to be drier than Glasgow or the west coast......id like to refute that point.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Not a bad day, Oven cleaned ready for mega cooking of cake/s - am seriously looking for volunteers to taste and give me feedback soon - any takers? Posted Image

Might even copy Jon d1983 and wash the car - its dry and bright Posted Image

Edited by snowy owl
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

On Radio 4 at 06:05 Darren Bett said "unfortunately there is due to be no pattern change to the weather in the next week perhaps two weeks."

Posted

well we have a nice sunny day for once and I'm so glad it is as got a lot of running about today with appointments and such so its good to see the weather can at least play ball sometimes when you want it to.

now just nope - still swearinging snowPosted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

These lovely pics of Monday 3rd's red skies in the morning… we had a really spectacular one in Embra too, but the day went on to be nothing particularly bad in the way of weather...

I know a lot of "ye olde lore" are codswallop, but I wondered whetehr anyone has had a Red Sky in The Morning that has been a warning of a bad day...

…or any other weather lore that's turned out right or wrong? 

(Look, at least it gives us summat to talk about other than going "nae snaw, pishing doon, waaaaaah"! Posted Image )

From The METO:

Red sky at night

"Red sky at night, shepherd's delight. Red sky in the morning, shepherd's warning" first appeared in the bible in the Gospel of Matthew(Ed. Matthew 16:2-3, Jesus speaking). It is an old weather saying often used at sunrise and sunset to signify the changing sky and originally known to help the shepherds prepare for the next day's weather. Despite there being global variations in this saying such as "Red sky at night, sailors delight. Red sky in morning, sailors warning", the scientific understanding behind such occurrences remain the same.

Why does red sky appear at sunrise and sunset?

The saying is most reliable when weather systems predominantly come from the west as they do in the UK. "Red sky at night, shepherds delight" can often be proven true, since red sky at night means fair weather is generally headed towards you.

A red sky appears when dust and small particles are trapped in the atmosphere by high pressure. This scatters blue light and leaving only red light to give the sky its notable appearance.

A red sky at sunset means high pressure is moving in from the west so therefore the next day will usually be dry and pleasant. "Red sky in the morning, shepherds warning" means a red sky appears due to the high pressure weather system having already moved east meaning the good weather has passed, most likely making way for a wet and windy low pressure system.

• Like 5

Posted

now that's just taking the pish

BBC Weather â€@bbcweather 3m

Parts of Iran were hit by very heavy #snow with roads to Mazandaran & Gilan cut off. This is a pic of #Tehran LH pic.twitter.com/iSqF8XOxOo

post-18233-0-18641300-1391517108_thumb.j

"@reviewcctv: @newslineweather Slovenia after a weekend of ice storms. Dont think a can of de icer will be much use. pic.twitter.com/D6P8OVmR5u"

post-18233-0-92715600-1391517181_thumb.j

everyone getting plastered apart from us but the ski resorts are doing well maybe we should have the winter Olympics

BBC Scotland News â€@BBCScotlandNews Jan 30

"More snow than Sochi" - Scots resorts say they are having a great year http://bbc.in/1nqb7xQ  + pic.twitter.com/Ng5eGtaJok

post-18233-0-67020700-1391517348_thumb.j

heres our next storm incoming with more rain Posted Image

post-18233-0-91563400-1391517484_thumb.j

athough on a good note rain wise most of it will be south of the border with not too much showing on the GFS for the next 7 days

post-18233-0-18250200-1391517120_thumb.p

and I posted some pics before of the PV on Saturn or Jupiter I cant remember which one lol and was told it wasn't round well here is a better pic I have found which shows this up well

post-18233-0-07832200-1391517508_thumb.j

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Not a bad day, Oven cleaned ready for mega cooking of cake/s - am seriously looking for volunteers to taste and give me feedback soon - any takers? Posted Image

Might even copy Jon d1983 and wash the car - its dry and bright Posted Image

Me! Me! Me!  Always happy to help out with experiments! Happy to volunteer where scran is involved! Current weather here, calm, light cloud, wee patches of blue sky and a wee, wee tate o' sunshine. Back to the usual pish ramorra.

• Like 2

Posted

. Not as frustrating as the two months I've now gone without seeing the BoyCatches,

keep the faith mate and hopefully it will get sorted out for you soon and you will be able to make up for lost time and In the mean time keep what ever you can to prove that you always wanted to see them should that become an issue.

• Like 3

Posted

I've posted off a 1,500 word letter with fifteen pages of attachments to her lawyer today...and that was keeping it short. It's all swirling round in circles not going anywhere, a bit like the PV has been all winter long Posted Image

looks like he will be earning his keep for once lol.

I know what you mean though its a really crappy process to be stuck in and all takes so long then at the end of the day you still have to place your trust in solicitors, social workers and judges and quite frankly I wouldn't trust any of them cos there all dodgy and I think you can guess the next word.

hope theres none come in here and read that I will be on the ignore list pretty quick Posted Image

• Like 1