Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Weather Discussion 27/01/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Well did manage to see sight of some wet snow today - allbeit washed away by copious rain.

This is like living in hell is it no!

So flippin seek of the weather.

Might have to have a beer to cheer myself up lol

Done that... Posted Image

5C, breezy, starless and a slight dampness in the air on the way back from the pub.  Have started bookmarking various webcams in Scandy and Iceland, not good...Posted Image

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

HC i've already bookmarked and looked at webcams in scandi and North America - This lack of snaw is causing so much anxiety.

To make things worse i watched Britain's big freeze and now i'm really fed up with wind and rain.

Maybe have that beer (not had it yet) and later some roasted cheese on toast 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Nae wonder we have such a green and pleasant land - so much bloomin rain Posted Image

Feeling better had my roasted cheese and worcester sauce on toast :)

and had a nosey at Carinthians post and pics :)

Edited by snowy owl
  • Like 1

Posted

I've returned from the evening walk with mutley, I was convinced I was seeing things when I thought the rain on the way home was slightly sleety but there are bits and bobs of sleet around on the weathertype radar.

Was in kilmscolm last night and woke up to snow this morning al be it short lived. Hills round about and out towardssouth covered tho.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning Kilties! When I went to incarcerate the chook and ducks last night there was the most beautiful starry sky. Milky Way visible, no moon.....braw! Back to the usual pish this morning, temp 5c, pressure 982. All my weather stations tell me it's going to be sunny today. Not looking like it from where I'm sitting.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Snow level has crept up on traffic cams to around 1500ft.Seems much milder.Scunnered couldn't even ski due to wind.

Posted

Morning all,

Plenty of welcome sunshine this morning, albeit it's a bit breezy with a 33mph mean gusting over 45mph. 6.6c. Dry with good sunny spells.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

No comment. Next!

Posted

Rather bizarrely we've just had a very light flurry here despite an almost entirely blue sky! Even dragged the wife to the back door for confirmation! If the wind would disappear it'd actually be quite pleasant! 

Edited by 101_North

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

BUS has left the building - nuf said about ANY possible evolution to cold!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Decent day here with plenty of sun, which is nice for a change. In the absence of snow I'll take this, although a less winy version would be nicer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Decent day here with plenty of sun, which is nice for a change. In the absence of snow I'll take this, although a less winy version would be nicer.

Yes,  had a bit too much wine yesterday too. 

Just an odd shower here today and a bit warmer than yesterday with max of 6.1C. Windy.

• Like 1

Posted

Today is Candlemas Day and folklore suggests "if its fair and bright winter will have another fight". For the uninitiated Candlemas Day is the Christian commemoration of the presentation of Jesus in the Temple at Jerusalem and the purification of the Blessed Virgin Mary as ordained in the Jewish Law (Torah) by Yahweh the God of Israel in Leviticus 12.

It is known in the States as Groundhog Day and Punxsutawney Phil has indeed popped out of his burrow this Sunday morning, predicting six more weeks of Winter - ie. rain and gales!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/2014/02/02/groundhog-day-punxsutawney-phil/5101379/

Today we are halfway between the Winter Solstice and the Vernal Equinox ie. Midwinter. It also coincides with Imbolic the ancient Pagan Festival.

If Candlemas Day be fair and bright
Winter will have another fight.
If Candlemas Day brings cloud and rain,
Winter won't come again.

If Candlemas Day be dry and fair,
The half o the winter's to come and mair;
If Candlemas Day be wet and foul,
The half o the winter's gane at Yule.

• Like 9

Posted

A nice sunny day here today. Made a nice change to see blue sky and a sunset.

Posted

What's happened to MO site? Doesn't look like it's updated since this morning on any of the pages

This is my first post, so be gentle :-)

I've been lurking for a while, trying to get my head round the processes that have conspired to affect our weather so dramatically this winter.  I must admit I've found the Models forum very...er...challenging, seems to have been a lot of "wishcasting" as well as a fair amount of trolling, but some of the posts are absolutely fantastic for someone like me trying to understand the atmosphere - Gibby and Tamara in particular.

I used to do a lot of winter mountaineering and would always watch the 850 temps to see where the freezing level (and thus snow) might be.  I also learned a little about heights, in particular that 528 /510 DM heights would be *likely* to produce snow down towards sea level - don't know if that was right?  If it is, looking at GFS into next weekend, it looks like we will be under 510 or even 492 DM air - like the current GFS run out to 144 hours.  Does that not mean snow?

post-15788-0-71499900-1391364414_thumb.p

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

I've been lurking for a while, trying to get my head round the processes that have conspired to affect our weather so dramatically this winter.  I must admit I've found the Models forum very...er...challenging, seems to have been a lot of "wishcasting" as well as a fair amount of trolling, but some of the posts are absolutely fantastic for someone like me trying to understand the atmosphere - Gibby and Tamara in particular.

I used to do a lot of winter mountaineering and would always watch the 850 temps to see where the freezing level (and thus snow) might be.  I also learned a little about heights, in particular that 528 /510 DM heights would be *likely* to produce snow down towards sea level - don't know if that was right?  If it is, looking at GFS into next weekend, it looks like we will be under 510 or even 492 DM air - like the current GFS run out to 144 hours.  Does that not mean snow?

Snow risk maps are matching your post quite well so who knows, maybe something good. :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

4.5 hours is a long time for no comments in winter!

Windy again on the north coast, no stars, no frost; what a tedious winter.  Oh, for a northerly blast...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Welcome to the forum!

Generally yes, low heights mean colder airmasses, but they're also correlated with low surface pressure as, of course, lower pressure at the surface generally means that the height of a given pressure higher up in the atmosphere decreases. Therefore, to control for low pressure systems we tend to use the 500-1000hpa thicknesses, which is essentially the difference in altitude between the 500hpa (or milibar if you prefer) level where the 'height' is measured and the level of 1000hpa, which in the case of Saturday morning would in reality be underground. If the 500-1000 thickness is sub 528dam then you're generally looking at snow, and 510hpa represents the kind of Arctic airmass we can only dream about at the moment.

The thickness chart for that timeframe isn't quite so promising, although you can see the cold Polar Maritime airmass coming in at us around the west of the low pressure system from Eastern Canada and eventually swinging northwards towards us, bringing a snow risk over us by Sunday:

Posted ImagePosted Image

A good way to remember it is that if the surface pressure is above 1000hpa then we're looking for 528dm on the height charts, and if lower we really need some pretty low heights for the same snow risk.

For example, on this chart, the heights over us are above the heights shown for next Saturday, but a look at how high the surface pressure is shows that in reality this is a much, much more promising setup for cold and snow:

Posted Image

When the heights decrease from light blue to dark blue as you move from low pressure to high pressure the coldest air does correspond fairly well to the lowest thicknesses, but these are fairly rare setups usually involving very cold airmasses with low pressure sitting well to our south.

Anyway, an insightful question and hopefully I've helped answer itPosted Image

• Like 9