Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Weather Discussion 27/01/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Suburban Sth Embra is basically dry, occasionally spitting rain, but with a gusting strong wind that keeps trying to take your face off as you round a corner on foot… 2.1 degrees at KB weather station. No sign of anything incoming, but really pleased to hear others are finally getting a wee fix! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

windy and wet with rain sums it up!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

Cant get a photo, but there seems to be a defined line where the snow is lying on the ochils rather than a 'mixing' line as susual. Must be a deifinitive temperature change at about 1700ft!

• Like 1

Posted

A SNOWFLAKE!!!!!! I jsut saw one! Ok, it was literally just one and I can't see any more, but it went past my window and it was very definitely a snowflake!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

A SNOWFLAKE!!!!!! I jsut saw one! Ok, it was literally just one and I can't see any more, but it went past my window and it was very definitely a snowflake!

Well! I just had to clean coffee from my screen after reading that! Sounds as if we  are all in serious danger of losing it! Picture! or it didn't happen!Posted Image

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 7

Posted

It's one snowflake more than I've seen in a very long time, and I shall treasure the memory, even if naysayers and scoffers may disbelieve me!

• Like 6

Posted

It's one snowflake more than I've seen in a very long time, and I shall treasure the memory, even if naysayers and scoffers may disbelieve me!

Actually, it's a SSE wind so it might blow past here! *runs to get camera*

• Like 7

Posted

Been a serious RTC up at Drumochter. A lorry and 3 vehicles apparently.

I hate reading things like this, gives me  the creeps!  Hope it isn't too bad, but sounds ominous.Posted Image

Posted

My enthusiasm over this latest blizzard that's not happening in Stirling, is, I'm sorry to say, underwhelming.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Was snowing here at lunchtime. Looking out the school window constantly but didn't land at all. Let's hope tonight is better!!Posted Image

Posted

My understanding of the strat is hugely limited, but this looks good to me, it's been showing up on several runs now and can only help to shift the vortex away from its permahome over Canada/Greenland:

Posted Image

Normally if it continued it should. My thoughts go much deeper than that though. (nuff said)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Heavy rain with just a hint of sleetiness on the windows. Strong SE wind. 2.6C.

Looking round the traffic cams only Drummochter! Glenogle and Carter Bar appear to have lying snow? The queue from the accident apparent at. Drummochter. A queue at Glenogle too. Gates closed at the usual places.

Edited by Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

A few of what I'd basically describe as ice pellets mixed in with the odd wet snowflake in central Edinburgh, the dry area on the map over the central belt did rather suggest it would be a non-event for Edinburgh because of a lack of precipitation. Hoping for selfish reasons that the overnight band hits further east (it's been hard to pin down so still entirely possible I guess) but either way whoever's under that has a decent chance of waking up to a covering. Difficult to gauge the intensity/speed of the front but it does look potentially quite heavy and out with daylight hours that very often means settling snow, particularly with cold air undercutting.

Heavy rain with just a hint of sleepiness on the windows.

I think we're all pretty tired of chasing these setups to be honest... Edited by LomondSnowstorm
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

That was a damp squib not even heavy. Lets hope we get some action tonight!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

As expected, it's grey, wet, windy and miserable here, so no change on the theme for Winter 13/14 so far. Rain fairly constant now but not overly heavy by recent standards. Temp dropped a bit but still sitting up at 4.0/3.0C in Dyce.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

I'm shocked reading through this thread. Coastal Dumfries has had snow for around an hour that didn't lie. All hills above 150m or so are very white and many places a little further inland have seen a good covering of snow. I'm surprised most of you have seen less than me given your far greater elevation and distance from the west coasts. Hopefully you get some tonight :)

I think the game for winter proper is up tbh. Yes, the Strat looks better but by the time tht propagates down, even if it is successful in either reducing the power of the Canadian PV or by deflecting lows southwards, it will be at least mid-Feb. So we can still get cold till April given our latitude over Kent for example, but real cold I.e -10 and below looks unlikely.

If the lows can undercut then lots of snow could fall in marginal conditions. I'm not saying we can't see snow but realistically the real cold will not occur this winter IMHO. The rain just continues...

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

I'm shocked reading through this thread. Coastal Dumfries has had snow for around an hour that didn't lie. All hills above 150m or so are very white and many places a little further inland have seen a good covering of snow. I'm surprised most of you have seen less than me given your far greater elevation and distance from the west coasts. Hopefully you get some tonight Posted Image

I think the game for winter proper is up tbh. Yes, the Strat looks better but by the time tht propagates down, even if it is successful in either reducing the power of the Canadian PV or by deflecting lows southwards, it will be at least mid-Feb. So we can still get cold till April given our latitude over Kent for example, but real cold I.e -10 and below looks unlikely.

If the lows can undercut then lots of snow could fall in marginal conditions. I'm not saying we can't see snow but realistically the real cold will not occur this winter IMHO. The rain just continues...

We've certainly had a few wintry late winters/early springs, March 2006 for example was exceptionally snowy for Aberdeenshire and contained quite an impressive breakdown snowfall on the 12th, and of course last winter (how much was there with you then? Arran and much of the southwest got buried). I wouldn't be expecting any 2009/10 levels of cold certainly but there's still a fair bit of time left, and the strat could potentially have an immediate feedback (very hit and miss of course but it did happen in late January 2009 and although we didn't directly benefit as much as we would've liked we were quite unlucky to miss out then). As long as we get a decent chunk of the vortex into Eurasia (ideally a Scandi trough setup) there will be some deep cold to be tapped into, but it certainly would've been better a month or two ago.

• Like 3

Posted

Well! I just had to clean coffee from my screen after reading that! Sounds as if we  are all in serious danger of losing it! Picture! or it didn't happen!Posted Image

Call the Express, they can use as evidence this happened

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/443462/Winter-2013-expected-to-be-worst-since-1947-with-heavy-and-persistent-snow-forecast-for-UK

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Well Im surprised at some of you lot not getting much precipitation, as it literally peed heavy here all the afternoon. Got drenched on the school run. It has now stopped though. 

Folks in kingussie reported a sleety/snow/rain mix - but even there it was not for settling or coming to anything today. 

However, I've heard the ski centres are getting a nice pasting today.

edit - raining away again here

Edited by over_the_rainbow
  • Like 1

Posted

Almost completely dry in EK today - just a bit of snizzle now and then.  Just shows how pronounced the 'rain shadow' effect is in the central belt when the wind is coming from certain directions.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Actually, it's a SSE wind so it might blow past here! *runs to get camera*

Sheesh. Send it on this way when you're done. Fack all here, I reckon the snow line's about 500m on the local hills, seems quite a clean line, as Tempestwatch said earlier.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

Floodwise,im afraid tomorrow starting to look bad once again

Quite a few flood warnings cropping up this afternoon .....gale force southerlies and storm surge.

post-18260-0-87453400-1391189797_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Well off out for a wee night oot soon, aboot to be blown down the street and into the pub! Mind you i hope its warm :)

Will report on weather conditions when i return in a wee while :)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer.

Was working in the hills near Selkirk in the borders today, heavy snow/blizzard like conditions. Now back in Dundee it's the same rainy/windy pish that's been served up all winter !!

• Like 2