Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Weather Discussion 27/01/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted

I am loving the upbeat mood created by our cheerleaders Posted Image

I can remember before the huge dump of snow in March 2006 that the models flip flopped between a huge snow event and a huge rain event right up to the day itself. Then this happened:

Posted Image100_1158.JPGPosted Image100_1166_0001.JPGPosted Image100_1177.JPG

Makes me miss Kilmacolm  CMD snow was always good there but your could drive down to linwood and nae snow at all!!

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Yes March 2006 was epic. The snow was supposed to turn to rain quickly but it ddn't it snowed from 12am until 12pm the next day. The rain ws only between 12 and 2 and it didn't melt the snow. I remember it also turned cold and the snow was still piled up for a feww weeks later where it was cleared. We can dream!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Well slap my face.....that's two days in a row it's been DRY! We even had a teensy glimpse of the sun yesterday, that's the first since November. But that's normal anyway....too many mountains around which completely blot out the sun. Now that spring is just around the corner ( assuming that we aren't actually going to have a winter! ) the bulbs are sprouting, the birdies are starting to sing in the mornings, I'm really noticing the days lengthening. Want to put some money on whether or not this predicted white stuff won't reach Skye? If it's coming from the east it's a fair bet that everything will remain green ( or brown depending on how much mud we have! ). That's usually the case. So, I think I'll pack my snow boots away until next winter.....but will keep my wellies handy for the next downpour!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy

I've had a quick look at the UKMO, ECM and GFS this morning and I must be missing something. I know there are no charts with -15ºC 850 temps but we will get snow chances as time goes on. Failing that we should all chip in, hire a bus and go for a mountain tour. The higher hills are going to be utterly creamed with snow in the next couple of weeks, feet upon feet of the stuff. I think a little birthday treat might be in order the week after next when I'm on holiday..."Mrs Catch, we're going up a mountain" Posted Image

Ah've heard that BUS is no cheap Catch.

But we might get Mates Rates though!!!

Big Innes

Edited by Big Innes Madori
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

I trust LS and we of course need to wait a day or so but I am a bit worried about the MET office update talking of Eastern areas seeing flooding as a major risk Friday...... I think we will see snow for a while but I fear will not lie unless the frost Thu night is fairly severe and we avoid rain before seeing snow from the front....... anyway fingers crossed.... CMD is keeping the troops hopes alive :)

• Like 1

Posted

Here's some more to remind you of what I still call home (much to Mrs Catch's disgust since I've been down here for two years):

March 2006 again:

Posted Image100_1171.JPG

And one from Nov 2010, I'm pretty sure you used to live close to where this pic was taken (oh dear, call the police there's a stalker loose Posted Image )

Posted Image100_4057.jpg

Ours was drirectly to right of the lamp post top bay window!! still have it rented out...incase we ever want to go back :-) Aye always wondered who that guy outside in the street with a camera was

Posted Image  Will be back down friday night and saturday to measure up for a new window and do a check so maybe i will get a bit of kilmacolm snow!!  Fingers crossed

Edited by jon_d1983
  • Like 1

Posted

Has anybody Ventured up the ski centres lately?

Metres of Snow Drifts.

Cairngorm

Posted Image1779799_578980505528805_2077247788_n (1).jpg

Glenshee Hoping to head up Sunday as looks a better day. It's a dilema as Glencoe will be offering full vertical to car park. However Glenshee more variety and better catering facilities....decisions! Also supposed to be running Cross country in Hawick Saturday.Praying it gets cancelled due to snow.

Posted Image1797482_473779132726280_19430382_n.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Drooling at the snow pics !

Thanks guys :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

I trust LS and we of course need to wait a day or so but I am a bit worried about the MET office update talking of Eastern areas seeing flooding as a major risk Friday...... I think we will see snow for a while but I fear will not lie unless the frost Thu night is fairly severe and we avoid rain before seeing snow from the front....... anyway fingers crossed.... CMD is keeping the troops hopes alive Posted Image

Im dont think there will be any snow round here (perth) on Friday it looks like being heavy rain all day - like today, and yesterday, and the day before..................Posted Image

I'm not loving the constant rain - and not fussed about the S-word either now - I would like the other S - sunshine! And dry ground lol Posted Image

• Like 4

Posted

Sitting in Edinburgh airport and hoping you guys get snow over the next few day! I'll be gutted though ;-) 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy

I hope he can carry us all?

Posted Image

By the way!

Whaur is um???

Big Innes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Am a bit model weary to be second guessing how much of this incoming front will be snow / rain.

It is an absolute deluge and looking at the 0 degree line an utter pasting for those at elevation.

post-7292-0-48383700-1391028845_thumb.gipost-7292-0-65990500-1391028844_thumb.gipost-7292-0-20011400-1391028859_thumb.pn

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

BBC Weather - nathin tomorrow, snow on high hills in Scotland on Friday.

Posted

I don't like the look of the dry area surrounding Glasgow on that chartPosted Image

The Reporting Scotland forecast for Friday mentioned 'snow to fairly low levels for a time' or something along those lines, but it did also feature that dry patch in the Glasgow area!!

Edited by spindrift1980

Posted

Hmmmmm not liking chances now for Friday .....the snow chase continues and don't look like winning on Friday :/ on the other hand likin this windows 8 split screen....football and weather

post-15765-0-24078000-1391030754_thumb.j

• Like 6

Posted

cracking pic from Lorenzo on model thread.... LMAO....

they are getting ready for one last ECM ****tease

• Like 3

Posted

I would take snow over her right now.....I'm like Renton..... Just wan hit c'mon just 1 cheeky wee hit even a rain to snow to rain hit...just wan

Please

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Have you used the new zoomed in version of Meteociel's NMM? It's here http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/wrfnmm.php?ech=3&mode=1&map=5

We'll see what the EURO4 spits out tomorrow, but it looks unlikely that there will be much low level snow on Friday.

If you run through the precip charts on the link above a lot of the precip looks to be enhanced by orographic uplift, and the hatched snow indications are almost all over high ground along with the heaviest precip. How I wish I was 200m+ above sea level again Posted Image

Some places look good for snow on Saturday morning, including possibly Glasgow (going on the precip charts on the link above).

'Scuse my ignorance but what is an orographic uplift?   Is it something Miss Kilmalcolm would wear?  or is it some sort of medical aid for the nether regions!? 

Or is it something boring to do with the weather!?   I await your explanation with interest! Ooohhh...... the suspense!Posted Image

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 4

Posted

Briefly a bit of rain was reported at the airport but nevertheless that is amazingly fifty consecutive days with rain. A quieter day of weather today with some sunny intervals and tomorrow should be dry and cold day. Although we'd like a good dumping of snow before the season ends I think we would all settle for just some dry, cold/frosty or sunny weather. Friday - a few alterations could make for a decent snow event but any low-level snow could be brief but I think the weekend could be more favourable for some heavy snow showers from the west- albeit it's still marginal.

Posted

'Scuse my ignorance but what is an orographic uplift? Sounds like some sort of medical aid for the nether regions!Posted Image

Not a real expert as some on here but my understanding of it is as air is forced to rise over a hill it cools and water vapour in it (clouds ) condenses out of it giving more precipitatation over high ground that it passes over  be that rain or snow especially on the windward slope.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Cor just dropped in for a speed read and orographic uplifts, Miss Kilmacolm and ......tease models - thought i'd typed in the wrong web page lol!!

Too much wine - its been one of those days !

Edited by snowy owl
  • Like 6