Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Weather Discussion 27/01/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

Not even sleety pish here, just pish! Really looking forward to spring now I think and some useable days. Its been that mild that  still have useable lettuce and rocket salad in my garden that still tastes good!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Just pish here too, no sleet.

Currently 3.0/3.0C in Dyce and guess what, it's raining. Started out at 2.2/1.9C in Kemnay around 8:30am, dry, not sunny but bright(ish) with a little low-level mist around. Could see the low set of hills to the West and most of the snow cover from Sunday has gone and they just look speckled. Got progressively greyer the nearer to Dyce I got and now, as I said, the rain has rolled in.

Pessimism reigns and despite LS's excellent post I doubt I'll see any snow this week. Every online forecast I've looked at just shows more rain for here even if they do admit the temperature will drop on Thu/Fri. Eldest son's footy team have no match this weekend though so if the forecast plays ball then maybe a trip inland and upwards may be necessary to preserve my sanity.

Posted

I am going to take my sledge and my wife (in that order) up to the highlands this weekend before the snow goes away and enjoy it. This will preserve my sanity and remind my mind that there are more colours than GREY!

• Like 2

Posted

We could do with a dump of snow at low levels across Central Scotland to alert everyone to the cover at the ski areas!! Posted Image

Easy enough to find out how the resorts are faring without low level snow alerting people but I agree it does encourage people out. What I think may be more important for the resorts now would be a cool, calmer and probably even dry period of weather to allow them to dig out the tows and preserve the snow cover they have. Unfortunately of those three conditions cool (not cold) might be on the cards but it looks unlikely that calm and dry will be.

Oh, and so far this morning calling the weather 'wet' here would be an understatement.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Well I'm actually still feeling rather positive about February, the models (even the best performers in medium range / long range) will always struggle to accurately predict the weather beyond about 200 hours. 

I think because of recent winters past we've come to think of the deepest cold as coinciding with the shortest days, but in reality the likelihood of high latitude blocking has, climatically speaking, always increased as we approach February and March. This occurs at the same time that the Arctic is also at its coldest due to seasonal lag, so very potent northerlies (Scotland's best winter set up assuming there's either a westerly or easterly tilt to the northerly, which there most often is) can often spring out of what seems to be nowhere.

I'd keep your chins up everyone, there's going to be snow this week for many of us and after that, well the truth is that no one really knows with any meaningful degree of certainty, but I like our chances based on our meteorological history (that is, our climate). Posted Image

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Heavy rain at 11.00 and now still raining but lighter. Temperatue 4.0C(+0.5C/hr). Minimum last night was 3.2C.

METO forecasting sleet for here Friday and I will be surprised if we even get that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

I think folks that, as I said before, unless or until that monster PV moves out of Canada, no winter will continue to be experienced here. As soon as I realised that USA was in for yet more brutal cold, then this was only going to play out one way. You know what's going to happen now don't you? I would lay money on the fact that once that PV finally gives up the ghost, that is when we will experience our belated winter. The clock is ticking yes, and probably anything in the future will be shortlived but, it will probably be just enough to raise our spirits and see us through to next winter. Let's face it,  we have a good chance of the next one being better,  as it certainly couldn't be any worse. Look at Europe, after 2 exremely hard winters, rivers freezing, villages buried, well, you know the story, it's nature's rebalance, and if I remember correctly, USA was extremely mild during at least one of those years.   Speaking of nature's rebalance, it cannot rain forever, and who knows we may just experience a dry, settled summer.   Onwards and upwards eh?Posted Image

• Like 4

Posted

Snow warning out for Friday mentions possible disruption to power supplies but... It also mentions the fact that rain may cause more of an issue!  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

I think folks that, as I said before, unless or until that monster PV moves out of Canada, no winter will continue to be experienced here. As soon as I realised that USA was in for yet more brutal cold, then this was only going to play out one way. You know what's going to happen now don't you? I would lay money on the fact that once that PV finally gives up the ghost, that is when we will experience our belated winter. The clock is ticking yes, and probably anything in the future will be shortlived but, it will probably be just enough to raise our spirits and see us through to next winter. Let's face it,  we have a good chance of the next one being better,  as it certainly couldn't be any worse. Look at Europe, after 2 exremely hard winters, rivers freezing, villages buried, well, you know the story, it's nature's rebalance, and if I remember correctly, USA was extremely mild during at least one of those years.   Speaking of nature's rebalance, it cannot rain forever, and who knows we may just experience a dry, settled summer.   Onwards and upwards eh?Posted Image

You're a glass half full lady Blitzen. Now where's my prozac. Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

Well I'm actually still feeling rather positive about February, the models (even the best performers in medium range / long range) will always struggle to accurately predict the weather beyond about 200 hours. 

I think because of recent winters past we've come to think of the deepest cold as coinciding with the shortest days, but in reality the likelihood of high latitude blocking has, climatically speaking, always increased as we approach February and March. This occurs at the same time that the Arctic is also at its coldest due to seasonal lag, so very potent northerlies (Scotland's best winter set up assuming there's either a westerly or easterly tilt to the northerly, which there most often is) can often spring out of what seems to be nowhere.

I'd keep your chins up everyone, there's going to be snow this week for many of us and after that, well the truth is that no one really knows with any meaningful degree of certainty, but I like our chances based on our meteorological history (that is, our climate). Posted Image

Am in total agreement with this post as March as far as I am concerned is a winter month up here when we can have lying snow from begining to end especially with your potent northerlies with ice days if there are plenty of snow showers and the fields are at their barest. Historically N and E winds are  much more frequent in the spring all the way to June with often the last fresh visible snow on the hills round about midsummers day (20th June?) and the next fresh visible snow around about the 20th of September so winter hardly leaves us at all. With the internet and digital cameras  fresh snow has been photographed on the hills around the 7th of July and the 24th of August on occasion in the last decade

Even April with our usual cattle turnout date of 20th April and 15c we have often been caught out 3 days later with a north wind bringing  frequent grauple  and powder snow showers and the cattle huddling behind the stone walls. We always try to put them in south facing fields with dykes to the north for the first two weeks

As for the last two springs there was not enough grass to put them out before the middle of May. We only have a couple of months in summer when fresh snow is not visible on the hills round about and with the exceptional drifted depths up there this year and more to come they are going to look very wintry well into summer this year.

And just a final comment sat one of my  agri exams at college in Aberdeen 4 storys up  watching huge snow showers coming in off the North Sea on the 1st of June 1975.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

the word pish appears a coming phrase here today and I can confirm it is pishhhhhhhhhing down here......im a bit more optimistic HC that the last couple of breakdown events seen us in the right location....last year the snow event on the Friday (cant remember date) was the best sledging/snowball fights we had all winter and we were able to use the snow all weekend all be it in light drizzle.......interesting watching over next few days

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Snow depths over the Eastern Scottish hills could be another 150cm this week

http://www2.wetter3.de/Animation_06_UTC/186_35.gif

S

Hopefully some of it gets to ground level too, have forgotten what it looks like and haven't got time this weekend to go for a drive to find out..

• Like 3

Posted

the word pish appears a coming phrase here today and I can confirm it is pishhhhhhhhhing down here......im a bit more optimistic HC that the last couple of breakdown events seen us in the right location....last year the snow event on the Friday (cant remember date) was the best sledging/snowball fights we had all winter and we were able to use the snow all weekend all be it in light drizzle.......interesting watching over next few days

That'll be the breakdown that delivered exactly hee haw here Posted Image

Judging by the latest forecasts I've seen I wouldn't hold out much hope for Friday round these parts either.

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

not getting excited until there are 3 inches on the ground!

• Like 1

Posted

Snow depths over the Eastern Scottish hills could be another 150cm this week

http://www2.wetter3.de/Animation_06_UTC/186_35.gif

S

Looking on the bright side, even if I'm not getting my snow fix now then at least with the snow depths building up at altitude I'll still be able to get a snow fix in June by going hillwalking.

• Like 4

Posted

Am in total agreement with this post as March as far as I am concerned is a winter month up here when we can have lying snow from begining to end especially with your potent northerlies with ice days if there are plenty of snow showers and the fields are at their barest. Historically N and E winds are  much more frequent in the spring all the way to June with often the last fresh visible snow on the hills round about midsummers day (20th June?) and the next fresh visible snow around about the 20th of September so winter hardly leaves us at all. With the internet and digital cameras  fresh snow has been photographed on the hills around the 7th of July and the 24th of August on occasion in the last decade

Even April with our usual cattle turnout date of 20th April and 15c we have often been caught out 3 days later with a north wind bringing  frequent grauple  and powder snow showers and the cattle huddling behind the stone walls. We always try to put them in south facing fields with dykes to the north for the first two weeks

As for the last two springs there was not enough grass to put them out before the middle of May. We only have a couple of months in summer when fresh snow is not visible on the hills round about and with the exceptional drifted depths up there this year and more to come they are going to look very wintry well into summer this year.

And just a final comment sat one of my  agri exams at college in Aberdeen 4 storys up  watching huge snow showers coming in off the North Sea on the 1st of June 1975.

I remember being 10 year old and reading in the headlines 'Snow in Flaming June'!

• Like 2

Posted

Away delivering hay this afternoon to a customer who lives at 600 feet, nice large snowflakes fallingthere .

Returned home to sleet and 1.5c.Clearing now with snowy looking shower cloud to the SE

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Hope I'm walking to school in the snow on Friday!Posted Image Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer.

I reckon we are now being punished for that dry spring, summer and autumn. It was inevitable really.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Ooooo just had a shower from the east! That's different ;)

• Like 1

Posted

Grey and damp, +7c/+4c ESEly 20mph.