Sign in to follow this  
JennyJane1

Encourage me please

Once again my nerves get the better of me.I spent the afternoon making a letter to send to various business leaders, eg Sir Sugar, etc for market research for an idea I have had for a business, its no good just doing it without the market research but now I've lost my nerve.

The worse they can do is laugh and tear it up and they might think its interesting.

Shall I send it?oh decisions and nerves.

Once again my nerves get the better of me.I spent the afternoon making a letter to send to various business leaders, eg Sir Sugar, etc for market research for an idea I have had for a business, its no good just doing it without the market research but now I've lost my nerve.

The worse they can do is laugh and tear it up and they might think its interesting.

Shall I send it?oh decisions and nerves.

So what's the idea Jenny?

Best foot forward.. Post it off. No regrets then for a missed opportunity..

• Like 1

So what's the idea Jenny?

Its based around telecommuting, which is what they say the future will be, in my letter I'm asking whether the business uses this or what the blocks are to it, with a view to facilitating it.

Best foot forward.. Post it off. No regrets then for a missed opportunity..

Southernman just called and said the same.ok, here goes.

Ok...I'll start if I will lol - hey Jenny, just listen to this when you're perhaps sending your correspondences Posted Image

Thanks for that.

ok I'll email a hundred firms and if the response is negative I'll give it up as a bad idea.

After all they can't hang me just for asking, can they?

To be totally honest with you, I'm not sure why you're starting with the likes of Lord Sugar etc unless people with businesses of that sort of size/industry are your only likely customers. If you want to do research, talk to the businesses which you think may be interested in buying your product from you, if at that point they're interested then you're maybe on to something and can go looking for investment to make it happen (assuming you need investment). Ideally one of those businesses maybe local to you, so you can perhaps talk to them in person?

I'm guessing the likes of Alan Sugar get hundreds of letters about ideas etc, and I'd guess one way of filtering those would be to see if they have any market research to back it up with, I'm not sure going to them to do the research perhaps is the way forward. Posted Image

To be totally honest with you, I'm not sure why you're starting with the likes of Lord Sugar etc unless people with businesses of that sort of size/industry are your only likely customers.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll take on board what you say.I'm literally just starting with this idea.Will it come to anything?I don't know.

Hi Jenny

I would back up Paul's advice, keep it smaller and start from there - I know it's all the rage to say 'think big' etc, but Alan Sugar did not start big. On the degree courses I lecture, going out to businesses and testing out ideas are part of the skills set we expect our graduates to develop while with us, and I give them the same advice - start with what you know, who you know, and keep it small, as you won't get a reply from the big guys. Also, target local business networks, groups etc who may help you to contact their members or at least give you feedback on your ideas, or, who knows, may give you backing for them (eg written, publicity etc, doesn't have to be financial) and that puts you in a stronger position to move outwards to the bigger chaps/esses:)

Edited by Reefseeker

You will probably regret it if you don't send it. The worst they can do is laugh, but my bet is, they will admire you for trying.

So....deep breaths and GO FOR IT! because you never know until you do.

Good luck. :)

• Like 1

Hi Jenny

I would back up Paul's advice, keep it smaller and start from there - I know it's all the rage to say 'think big' etc, but Alan Sugar did not start big. On the degree courses I lecture, going out to businesses and testing out ideas are part of the skills set we expect our graduates to develop while with us, and I give them the same advice - start with what you know, who you know, and keep it small, as you won't get a reply from the big guys. Also, target local business networks, groups etc who may help you to contact their members or at least give you feedback on your ideas, or, who knows, may give you backing for them (eg written, publicity etc, doesn't have to be financial) and that puts you in a stronger position to move outwards to the bigger chaps/esses:)

Thanks for the advice, all received gratefully.

• Like 1