Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England/East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 26/01/14 12z --------->

A.J

Posted

Chose the wrong day to have off work as all it's done is rain. Not that warm though, although thermometer is showing 6c it feels a lot colder in the wind.

Noticed the odd person posting they've not had many frosts this winter. Funnily enough although we've not had any snow I'm on about 14 or 15 frosts now which isn't too bad given my locale and the sorry state of the season so far :)

Edit: using a wind chill calculator (not precise, I know!) it's not surprising it feels so cold as a 20mph wind at 6c feels like 1c :cold:

http://www.csgnetwork.com/windchillcalc.html

Edited by lottiekent
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Here are some photos from last March 24th. We had a weekend then when snow hardly thawed - quite exceptional for so late in the season. Still, exceptional or not, it shows it can happen! Posted Image

Posted Image24.03.13 Snowa.pngPosted Image24.03.13 Snowb.pngPosted Image24.03.13 Snowc.pngPosted Image24.03.13 Snowd.pngPosted ImageSquirrel.pngPosted ImageSquirrel Scarpers.png

It can happen, but the problem is it's so rare to see it happen. :( Last March was the snowiest month I ever had.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

Its not only The Mod Thread taking a battering with inane comments, Sherlock Holmes with his powers of deduction has appeared in the Strat Thread....

No offense to the people in here, but if you live in UK and expect the winters to be overall snowy and cold you live in the wrong place

The UK weather during winter is most of the time mild and little to no snow( the north part has more winter) but still not enough if you want snow for more than 3-4 weeks at row. My tip for you is move to one of these countries below

east/middle Poland,  the baltic countries, west Russia, Scandinavia ( not Denmark included) or Germany. 

The chances of snow/frost would increase much more than now, since the cold arctic air has a hard time getting more south than this during normal winters

And again sorry if my comment did upset anyone, i just want to be realistic at this moment. 

gather round and suck an egg everyone Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Here are some photos from last March 24th. We had a weekend then when snow hardly thawed - quite exceptional for so late in the season. Still, exceptional or not, it shows it can happen! Posted Image

Little Chart Ruins? ;)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

It can happen, but the problem is it's so rare to see it happen. Posted Image Last March was the snowiest month I ever had.

You're right. I was just trying to be upbeat. I remember quite a big fall of snow in March '79 (a fair few inches) but it was really a here today, gone tomorrow fall then. Last year was quite exceptional.

Posted

"we got hail"

Must stop skip reading...

Posted Image

Last year was quite exceptional.

Perhaps that's why we have a bigger feeling of despondency this year? Like buses though, there will be another Winter along soon!

• Like 1

Posted

still looking in total disbelief at the weather warnings covering every day of this week..... that has to be a record surely.... and not a good one

Posted

Little Chart Ruins? Posted Image

Not a bad call and those ruins look quite impressive (I've just googled them) but St Peter's Church in Alresford, Essex, which is obviously very local to me.

This church burned down in 1971 and wasn't repaired, but replaced by a fairly soulless place in the middle of the village. Someone I know says they know who started that fire, but won't elaborate - the true cause was never established.

So it's just an atmospheric ruin now, which can attract the wrong crowd tbh (prats who like to have parties in the ruins etc., with little respect for the fact there's a graveyard there) due to associations with witchcraft.

Edited by Steve C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Crikey! The daffodils in the garden are mahoosive. I think they may turn into Triffids any time soon.....

post-17085-0-65870700-1390917409_thumb.j

post-17085-0-85913500-1390917512_thumb.j

Edited by Keraunophile
  • Like 2

Posted

Even in the rain, with grey skies and through the worst Winter, you can still find a rainbow now and again Posted Image

post-6667-0-88894300-1390917440_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Posted

When was the last snowless winter? I'm sure even in the evil 90's we still would get at least 1 slight dusting

(obviously there's still time to get a dusting at least!)

Posted

The only daisies in my garden would have to be daffodil height to reach above the mud/water level. I've not fed any birds this "winter" because I need wellies to walk on the grass - you sink in about 2 inches under water when treading on what looks like nice grass.

Posted

When was the last snowless winter? I'm sure even in the evil 90's we still would get at least 1 slight dusting

(obviously there's still time to get a dusting at least!)

I don't think I can ever remember a winter when there wasn't at least sleet at some point. I think one in the mid nineties had literally just that where I live. My reasonable memory goes back to the mid 1970's. This year is on course to be poorer though, as I have only seen marginal sleet! However there is still has plenty of time to beat that 90's winter (I can't remember which one, as that was the only thing that stuck in my mind about it)

Posted

Lukey G scores again! Thunderstorms in London and some tasty stuff building in the channel Posted Image

no storms here as yet

Lukey G scores again! Thunderstorms in London and some tasty stuff building in the channel Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Awful weather now, temp has really dropped off and the cold rain came down in buckets! We even had hail :(

By the way, the tennis courts are starting to flood and even the large pond is overflowing in Herne Bay

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

There's some very grey and interesting skies building up over yonder. :) S/SW ish. With a sort of 'sulphery yellow' background. :O

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

After an unexpected nice morning weather has gone downhill here with shower after shower this afternoon and temp fallen to 4.1 degrees. Tomorrow looks like one of those miserable days with persistent rain,a cold wind and a temp of about 5 degrees!!Oh joy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Afternoon all

A rather chilly and damp day here, some showers have passed through but then again there have been a few bright intervals too.  Not sure what the temp as though as the remote sensor outside has stopped again.

Only day 2 of the working week Posted Image  I feel I have done a week already.

Posted

This can't be right can it?

My friend reckons we are going to have a massive storm tonight with ninety mile an hour winds - maybe read it in the express or something.

They did say something on here about a storm but I thought it was later in the week, and unsure.

Although having said that, the wind is getting up a bit here now.

Posted

My friend reckons we are going to have a massive storm tonight with ninety mile an hour winds - maybe read it in the express or something.

It would be quite amazing if it happened and would make a mockery of every weather bureau and model producer in Europe and the US. Nothing showing for us here, just more rain of course.

Posted Image

Posted Image

(I just sounded like your man Mr Fish 27 years ago, reading that back :doh: )

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Hi Tom, just want to back up what's been said about the SDC and the work you and Chris have done.You'll be pleased to know that the legal work undertaken by me was conducted on a 'No Win(ter) No Fee' basis, so nothing to pay there!I think we should now allow everyone knocked out of the SDC (actually, that is everyone isn't it) to enter a new competition for first round losers, namely the Constant Rain Accumulation PlateThe slogan for the C R A P will be:"Where there's Rain there's a Claim"AS

AS, that had me in fits, so much so that I spat out my *Sainsburys Melon & Grape Medley* (£1.50 or 2 for £2, while stocks last).Talking of stocks and fruit, I'm quite happy for Regional Members to chain me into the former and hurl some rotten variety at me, of the latter, for the non-appearance of the white stuff so far, this Winter, if they feel that I've jinxed our snow chances this Winter, with the Snow Cup! Lol!But perhaps that's enough of my weekend activities. (It's ok, my lawyer's on hand!)Wink!Yours apologetically,Tom. Edited by Kentish CZ
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Well ask and you shall recieve suddenly GFS giving us a slight snow risk from 42+!

Can you all imagine if that whole thing was just a measly couple of hundred miles west we would be loving it right now.

Posted Image

Edited by throwoff

Posted

I don't think I can ever remember a winter when there wasn't at least sleet at some point. I think one in the mid nineties had literally just that where I live. My reasonable memory goes back to the mid 1970's. This year is on course to be poorer though, as I have only seen marginal sleet! However there is still has plenty of time to beat that 90's winter (I can't remember which one, as that was the only thing that stuck in my mind about it)

Reports of sleet in Croydon around 14:40 hrs Posted Image

• Like 1