Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England/East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 26/01/14 12z --------->

A.J

Posted

Hands nearly dropped off taking bins out tis freeeezing ! Washing mashine broke so doing it all in bath oh well keeps my hands warm !

oh no.I will cheer you with my tale of woe.

I just discovered sugar - a big bag -has mixed with water coming in through the kitchen window and its melted the sugar and then stiffened so now I have a beautiful sugar crusted kitchen windowsill.I should not have left the bag on the windowsill

Do You think it will catch on?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

It's still manky and dull here, and it's very chilly as well.

I think it'll snow sometime over the week-end. Maybe..... possibly.... perhaps...might do.........it's not going to is it? :O

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

oh no.I will cheer you with my tale of woe. I just discovered sugar - a big bag -has mixed with water coming in through the kitchen window and its melted the sugar and then stiffened so now I have a beautiful sugar crusted kitchen windowsill.I should not have left the bag on the windowsill Do You think it will catch on?

At least your windows are frosted upMine haven't all winterLol
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

But you get no snow....NEXT! Posted Image

But think of the luvverly thunder storms. :)

Posted

Never seen such a miserable day then today.. started raining at 4am and its still going!!.. and prob wont stop till sometime tomorrow by the way the radar looks, did the met office forecast this event??,, dont think so

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

I predict 2015.........

let's all think negatively, then sod's law should kick in and give us a poke in the eye with a blizzard

Does anyone know if the earth being saturated like this can cause the tectonic plates to move?

I think it may cause them to float

My Ark is now straining at it moorings :D

Posted

Never seen such a miserable day then today.. started raining at 4am and its still going!!.. and prob wont stop till sometime tomorrow by the way the radar looks, did the met office forecast this event??,, dont think so

It will stop as soon as the air is cold enough for snow.Sod's law

to be fair, the models that I use on weathonline ( GFS, EURO4 ETC) didn't really have the PPN hanging around this long..

What I will point out or what I have observed in recent years of following the weather with intrest is when we do have PPN moving in the direction it is now.. The models never get a good grasp.. cast your minds back to early last year, when we had that front moving in from the East that was never really meant to get past Brighton and all us lot more west were getting VERY irritable that it was not.. BUT when the morning came.. it just kept moving west, Kent missed out it stalled over west London and started back building and Windsor, Ascot area saw 2-3" of snow from it!!

Posted

It will stop as soon as the air is cold enough for snow.Sod's law

snow?? i want blue sky and some sunshine so we and the rest of the uk can bloody dry up!!

Posted

snow?? i want blue sky and some sunshine so we and the rest of the uk can bloody dry up!!

I agree but if there is a 24 hour window il take it.Might be all we get this winter

Posted

Been a miserable day, quite like my mood (couldn't face work today with a fever, headache and sore throat) it's been around 5'C all day and rain on and off all day. Just went out so seeif the cat's collar was in the garden as he's lost it (along with the £50 tracker I bought to see where he goes) and checked the grass and in most places it's still a layer of water over the mud and the grass tops poking through.

Been on the edge of the green and blur on the radar all day, but most definitely rain here, nothing whiter.

Posted

Just went out so seeif the cat's collar was in the garden as he's lost it (along with the £50 tracker I bought to see where he goes)

I bet he's taken it to cash converters.

• Like 1

Posted

The reason I asked about rain and tectonic plates, I may be wrong, I'll see what Yamkin says about it, but we had a 6.1 earthquake centered on Great Yarmouth in 1931, the biggest ever in the UK, I wondered what weather conditions led to that and if flooding was involved.And if we could have another earthquake here.

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Here in SE13 it started raining heavily at 730pm yesterday,a brief dry up between midnight and 2am,and its been raining persistantly since! Looking at over 24hrs continuos rain before long.

3c here now.Grim

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Afternoon all

A damp, dull and dismal day here, feeling cold out, at least the wind has eased (for now anyway), certainly not aware of anything wintry precip wise today.  Not got any plans to even step outside again till tomorrow, so it will be a snuggle up with the fleece throw on the bean bag a bit later to watch TV, maybe do some artwork and then an early night to bed with a book I think, certainly not wanting to be outside that is for sure.

Stay warm and dry friends Posted Image

Posted

The reason I asked about rain and tectonic plates, I may be wrong, I'll see what Yamkin says about it, but we had a 6.1 earthquake centered on Great Yarmouth in 1931, the biggest ever in the UK, I wondered what weather conditions led to that and if flooding was involved.And if we could have another earthquake here.

There were a couple earthquakes directly South of London today, not very far away http://www.emsc-csem.org/Earthquake/Map/zoom.php?key=75&typ=euro#2

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, blue sky summers, misty,frosty autumns!

Still raining here too! It is a chilly 3.6

Even the cats have stopped going out!

Perhaps we could have a "Lets guess the day when we will have a whole 24 hours without rain" competition!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms & all extreme weather

rather than the snow cup let's have a predict the first snowflake.

yeah sounds good! or the flake count cup. i'm on a whopping 1 flake so far (way back in nov)!

Good luck to those hoping/praying for a few flakes tonight :) odds against of course, but might as well remain hopeful

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes of any sort

Just to help in this discussion, no flooding can have absolutly no effect on the earths crust. If one were to look at a cross section of the erath whilst the 'crust' may seem thin in pictorial from but in effect the crust ranges from 5–70 km (~3–44 miles) in depth and is the outermost layer. The thin parts are the oceanic crust, which underlie the ocean basins (5–10 km) and are composed of dense (mafic) iron magnesium silicate igneous rocks, like basalt. The thicker crust is continental crust, which is less dense and composed of (felsic) sodium potassium aluminium silicate rocks, like granite.

The weight of a small amount of surface water has no effect on the massive forces at work. None. For example since the retreat of the glaciers, in the last ice age, there has been some 'rebound' effect on the land masses, partly due to elasticity of the material (rocks) themselves but also from the weight, Scotland is rising, at about maximum 1cm per year!

If the entire weight of an ice age has such a small impact then it is quite clear localised flooding will have none, apart from anything even if the water were to run down through the surface levels, it will not permeate enough to have any effect on the crust itself.

Though arguably large bodies of water could cause small localised erathquakes if a local fissure of fault, very near the surface were to be affected, think like fracking, very limited local effect.

Hope that clears that up.

back on track I post almost never and float between here and the model thread, the weather in bexhill has been awful today, just rain, heavy and light and not cold and not mild, dreek. I hope to see a snow flake or such this evening or tomorrow evening if there is any precip around, but I am not holding out any hope for this winter now, just for the depth of cold in the USA creating such a powerful jet stream.

Jonathon

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

just deleted a couple of posts that had absolutely nothing to do with the thread title......sorry, but please keep it roughly on topic Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

to be fair, the models that I use on weathonline ( GFS, EURO4 ETC) didn't really have the PPN hanging around this long..

What I will point out or what I have observed in recent years of following the weather with intrest is when we do have PPN moving in the direction it is now.. The models never get a good grasp.. cast your minds back to early last year, when we had that front moving in from the East that was never really meant to get past Brighton and all us lot more west were getting VERY irritable that it was not.. BUT when the morning came.. it just kept moving west, Kent missed out it stalled over west London and started back building and Windsor, Ascot area saw 2-3" of snow from it!!

Remember that well, it wasn't supposed to get as North as Hertfordshire but we ended up getting the best amount in the region with 16cm (6 inches)