Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England/East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 26/01/14 12z --------->

A.J

Posted

Reports of sleet in Croydon around 14:40 hrs Posted Image

That just about sums up the total level of excitement of this Winter so far......

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

OK, feeling a tad cooler now (and I am indoors, what gives!?)  Can feel another few hours this evening curled up either on the sofa or squidged into the large bean bag infront of the telly, and I have pringles too (OK that last bit sounds wrong.)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: lots of snow and cold crisp mornings! thunder storms!

Well thats my garden back to being a giant puddle :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

After our 24 hour dry slot, the rain starts again... Posted Image

Very high spring tides again on Saturday and Sunday. Hopefully the low pressure due to arrive this weekend doesn't cause more coastal flooding issues to our west. It looks very deep, with a strong pressure gradient while out over the Atlantic, but let's hope it's a somewhat decaying feature by the time it impacts us.

Edited by Steve C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow

Are the 12z's that bad or has everyone on the mod thread finally given up.

The silience is eerie.

Katie

Posted

Posted Image

be interesting to see what the observed shows tomorrow

if that drops again

i would say the charts are likely to be overcooking the jet

solar

http://www.solarham.net/regions/map.htm

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/alerts/warnings_timeline.html

over the last few weeks has been reasonably busy

but has now gone fairly quiet

look at the 1967 flare though

thats a big bugger

now heres 144 charts again

gfs

Posted Image

ukmo

Posted Image

1 big difference on these

ukmo has the block to our east moving west

gfs doesnt

will campare ecm later to see what that shows

probably be different as well Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

Just had to nip out and rather cold out if I do say so myself (only had to go to the car and back) think it will be a cold night, but will it present a frost I wonder?

Posted

Had some sleet ish stuff come down this afternoon . It's crazy how much rain we are getting ! All crops will be ruined so expect prices to go up in supermarkets !

Have even given up on waking up to a blanket of snow now Posted Image

Sad to admit it, but I am more, much more inclined to look forward to Spring now and a return to nature growth and sunshine again, I am not a person that has a problem will dark, dull or damp weather for a while, but this period has just dragged on and on, and seeing the new growth  already this year has made me feel all 'springy'

• Like 5

Posted

Had some sleet ish stuff come down this afternoon . It's crazy how much rain we are getting ! All crops will be ruined so expect prices to go up in supermarkets !

Have even given up on waking up to a blanket of snow now Posted Image

Yes, you are right about food and the weather, not good, and the locations in the world we get food from have also had issues with the weather so things like rice will be dearer too.

• Like 1

Posted

Sad to admit it, but I am more, much more inclined to look forward to Spring now and a return to nature growth and sunshine again, I am not a person that has a problem will dark, dull or damp weather for a while, but this period has just dragged on and on, and seeing the new growth  already this year has made me feel all 'springy'

It doesn't usually bother me either but this year it seems to have gone on and on with no end, and would yoou be really amazed if i told you it started raining about two hours ago and its now torrential, and I mean really big so i thought it was hail hitting the window at first, its not, just very big rain.

• Like 1

Posted

It doesn't usually bother me either but this year it seems to have gone on and on with no end, and would yoou be really amazed if i told you it started raining about two hours ago and its now torrential, and I mean really big so i thought it was hail hitting the window at first, its not, just very big rain.

I feel we really need a period of less precip, in any form, because however that arrives is going to be too much now.

Posted

Posted

I feel we really need a period of less precip, in any form, because however that arrives is going to be too much now.

Its on nights like this that I wonder how it affected our ancesters, the first ones, just imagine, they have no house with windows like we have, no heating, no real clothes other than animal furs, can't get food easily like we can, its a wet miserable winter, the rain goes on and on, and then they see lightning! Thunder!

How awful it must have been for them.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Its on nights like this that I wonder how it affected our ancesters, the first ones, just imagine, they have no house with windows like we have, no heating, no real clothes other than animal furs, can't get food easily like we can, its a wet miserable winter, the rain goes on and on, and then they see lightning! Thunder!

How awful it must have been for them.

I think (as a biologist but not an expert in human evolution) that it was our species' inventiveness and social abilities that got us to the stage of being able to thrive in higher latitudes.  It wasn't until well into our evolutionary history that our ancestors left tropical and subtropical regions, so they already had sophisticated social structures and a certain amount of technology, however crude.

Posted

The teeming rain is interfering with my satellite signal now! Grrrr. Posted Image

Yep, trivial compared with real problems, but irritating nonetheless! :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Currently to me it looks as though snow could fall on Wednesday night for the Northern Home Counties as an easterly wind develops, dropping dew points and air temps. 

• Like 2

Posted

I think (as a biologist but not an expert in human evolution) that it was our species' inventiveness and social abilities that got us to the stage of being able to thrive in higher latitudes.  It wasn't until well into our evolutionary history that our ancestors left tropical and subtropical regions, so they already had sophisticated social structures and a certain amount of technology, however crude.

OK, that's interesting, I still don't think I would have liked the way they lived, it seems very difficult.

Posted

Yes, thank God our ancestors designed the Ark! :winky:

• Like 1

Posted

ecm at 168

Posted Image

block hold to our east

low pressure pushed away

Posted Image

which keeps the cold air in europe

and this is a dryer run

a tip

you need to know when to call fantasy island on the charts

and this is as far as i would go

as for all the winters are over posts today

good luck with that Posted Image

Edited by john pike
  • Like 6

Posted

OK, that's interesting, I still don't think I would have liked the way they lived, it seems very difficult.

I suppose they would have undoubtedly had hard times and it was very much 'the survival of the fittest' then, but they'd have had good times too. :)

You just have to see animals basking in the Sun / resting after a meal, to see that contentment has always been there, to be had. They probably felt much more 'alive' than most of us do now too imho. :)

• Like 2

Posted

ecm at 168

Posted Image

block hold to our east

low pressure pushed away

Posted Image

which keeps the cold air in europe

and this is a dryer run

The models always underestimate a block. Always do! Lets hope this keeps up, we need the dry conditions! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

As the Winter Olympics looms up, spare a thought for our plucky Olympians who may well have had some experience in chilly weather only by travelling a long way.

Believe it or not we are expecting up to 7 medals in the snow and ice of Russia. Quite a big ask considering the deluge of durge they have had to put up with in this snowless, mild, snow deficient, flooded, windy "Winter" which has of course been Crap  with a capital C, to date.

How will our sportsmen and women cope in the frozen wastes of sub zero ?

True grit my friends.

Wish them luck.

Posted Image

Edited by fluid dynamic
  • Like 3