Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England/East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 26/01/14 12z --------->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

In the meantime.

Lots of rain likely on the south coast over the next few days.

Today and tomorrow rainfall totals from the Hi Res NMM, with Wednesday's from the lower resolution version. Posted Image

post-11059-0-66129800-1390815332_thumb.ppost-11059-0-21342500-1390815343_thumb.ppost-11059-0-65749900-1390815354_thumb.p

Edited by Steve C

Posted

Hi all, yes the MOD thread is a gloomy place this morning. 

The odd patch of drizzle on the dull drive to the office this morning but now it has brightened up and looks like we could get some showers.

Many thanks to Chartonkerry - very kind words.

AS

• Like 1

Posted

Tis a pretty rare event to not have 1 snowfall cover from November to date, obviously still plrenty of time and it snowed and settled here last April for instance but even I admit February is not looking good unless you want even more rain.

I wonder when the last Autumn/Winter and Spring was down here when not even 1 instance of a covering of snow ? Possibly back in the warm 1990's maybe.

I am guessing my layering of Hail on Friday will not qualify me for a wintry covering Lol

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Feeling sorry for those in the SW, the flooding is getting worse and seems to have no chance of stopping right now.

The area of low pressure that has bought all the recent very unsettled weather will be sat across much of England and Wales on Tuesday. Rain bands and showers will develop within the flow, and some of these will be heavy and thundery, the main focus of the heavier and most persistent rain will be from Southern Coastal England across into South East England into East Anglia, there is potential for further flooding.

Posted

it does seem a shame that the weather gods dont want to have a dry Jan or Feb for that matter. I wonder what records could be broken if this wind and rain continues to afffect the poor people in South West..

Question to all the knowledgeable ones the Thames Barrier everytime i have been past it on a saturday morning this month it seems to be closed?? anyone no if this is true Surreyany thoughts

Posted

Bleughhhhh

i feel lousy. off work today. quacks appointment hopefully for antibiotics. clear, dry, 5C and slight breeze here in SE18. anyone fancy walking my doggy? not even got the energy to type let alone dog walking :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Well, I was able to enjoy a brief flurry of snow which rapidly turned to sleet and then rain, so, while I'm confident that I won't be seeing any lying snow until November at the earliest, I have at least seen some falling.Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

Starting to lose the faith a bit I must say. My son keeps pointing out that we have really good snow falls in February and it's not too late, but with the mid-term pattern not conducive to the big 'S' or even decent cold, I am already looking forward to lighter mornings and evenings, and telling myself to write off this winter in terms of our beloved snow. The storms were OK for a while as weather interest, but it has become interminable. My reward for the day or two of frost last week is a cracked windscreen that Autoglass are going to take 2 weeks to fix due to the rain meaning they have to cancel the appointments.

It's nice and sunny outside the window right now, and pretty cold outside with the Thames towpath at Kingston looking flooded yet again as we drove past. I hope for a sudden change in the models, it has happened many times before, but in the absence of that I guess it's time to look forward to spring. As we keep saying, it is only the weather, and nature will do what it will.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Yellow Warning of Rain for London & South East England :

Brighton and Hove, East Sussex, Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Kent, Portsmouth, Southampton, Surrey & West Sussex

Frequent showers, some heavy, will bring a further 10-15 mm and locally up to 25 mm rain to parts of southern England later on Monday and into Tuesday. There is the risk of up to 40 mm of rain on the high ground of southwest England.

The public should be aware of the potential for disruption due to localised flooding, especially where the ground is already saturated.

Issued at:

1038 on Mon 27 Jan 2014

Valid from:

2100 on Mon 27 Jan 2014

Valid to:

2345 on Tue 28 Jan 2014

A very unsettled start to this week is expected as an area of low pressure moves slowly southwards across Britain to most likely be centred over the Irish Sea by the end of Tuesday. Bands of heavy showers forming on the southern flank of this area of low pressure will stream across much of southern England.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?regionName=se&from=rss&sn=FCFDEB37-8A71-870C-B8E3-CE2CA02724A5_3_SE&tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1390780800

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Can we just assume the warning is yellow constantly and the METO tell us when its removed from now on?!

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Mornin each. Well, after a very soggy and stormy weekend, it's bright but overcast in Ippy. Went to shop quite early and it was slippery underfoot so must have had a ground frost.

As I type, the sun is trying to peek through. Just paid a rather large (for me) mobile bill so now I'm peed off. :(

Hope you all have a good day. :)

• Like 2

Posted

Where did you go MK?

Los Zocos, Costa Teguise - just sat here looking at the 100+ photos that I took and wishing I was back there !

Bleughhhhh

i feel lousy. off work today. quacks appointment hopefully for antibiotics. 

Hope you feel better soon Mick - I'm not going out until later I'm still struggling with the 15-20deg drop in temperature so I'm staying in my onesie and drinking hot drinks until I get acclimatised to the British weather again - I'm actually not sorry that it is mild mush and didn't snow here last night or I would have been forced outside to take my snow cup measurement!

Morning all - trying to catch up with the last week but it's not looking like I missed much while I was away apart from one thunderstorm and a catanado 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-25902371

Anyway if we do get any snow I've got a challenge for anyone who thinks they can manage to create a bit of snow art....

post-10773-0-38704700-1390821832_thumb.j

http://www.sunnyskyz.com/blog/68/He-Walks-Around-For-Hours-In-The-Snow-Once-You-Zoom-Out-Wow-

• Like 3

Posted

Oooh! Welcome back, Ali MK. Hope you had a lovely time. :)

Posted

Sunshine and showers today - kind of the theme for this winter (more showers than sunshine though). 

As Winter proper is looking increasingly unlikely in the shorter term, my attention will go to convective possibilities for a couple of days and maybe even as soon as tonight again:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Lapse rates wiggling up all over:

Posted Image

A bit of CAPE coming up through The Channel too:

Posted Image

An outside chance, but a bit more so than snow at the moment I guess.

• Like 2

The way things are going is spot on with the METS contingency planning forecast they issued at the start of the year.  This must have been the worst news the energy companies could have received as at around this time last year we had the heating on until the end of March.

On the radio this morning there were many reports of ice problems in Hertfordshire with roads being closed, guess this was either due to precipitation fallig after they salted or run off from fields which washed the salt away.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, storms or both at same time..

I'm still optimistic of some settling snow in the south east this winter, still only January with quite a few weeks to go till snow is not an option.

All of February for a start.

The models swap and change, alway have, by tomorrow they could have a raging easterly on the cards

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

Morning all.

I am keeping the faith - Tamara said she's happy with the pattern unfolding (not that I understand it of the technical nuances) and I know she knows her stuff. I'm hanging in there for snowmageedon from the pattern change over the Eastern Seaboard of the US and whatever the pending SSW brings. 

Hopefully cold, dry bits and snow. Must surely help the poor souls in Somerset.

Chin up peeps

Posted

I was very satisfied with the T&L on Saturday evening. That was heaven for me and I hope that has set the pattern for LOTS of storms during the summer months. :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

I was very satisfied with the T&L on Saturday evening. That was heaven for me and I hope that has set the pattern for LOTS of storms during the summer months. Posted Image

I didn't like it lol, was outside when the first flash came, I managed to get home before the wind and heavy rain started but was already in full panic attack mode so I was glad when it went through. I never go out in a storm.

• Like 1

Posted

Oooh! Welcome back, Ali MK. Hope you had a lovely time. Posted Image

We did thank you Grace....it was marvellous to relax and enjoy some warm sunshine and longer days...

post-10773-0-93141500-1390827871_thumb.j

...it certainly recharged the batteries, I've got a feeling we are going to have a long wait for similar temperatures here !

post-10773-0-74173500-1390828001_thumb.j

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Ormesby St Margaret - Nr Gt Yarmouth / Work in Norwich
  • Location: Ormesby St Margaret - Nr Gt Yarmouth / Work in Norwich

It has been a misreable winter so far but, still plenty of time for us to get snow. (It's been kinder on the heating bills and I am taking that as a consolation)

It's rare that there is no change of pattern during the winter, so I am hopeful that a few drivers put us into favourable position at somepoint before mid March.

This weeks chance seems to have missed us but at least it was an improvement, plus it looks like theres a warming event to come. Throw in just a little lady luck and we'll finish off winter with a Snowy flourish.  :)

Posted

This is pretty much what is going to happen over the next 48 hours while this low just sits and takes a chill..

SatRep latest for comparison:

Posted Image

I was very satisfied with the T&L on Saturday evening. 

I think mine is still to come later Grace :good: 

Posted

Anyone else having radar problems again? The 13:15-13:25 images are rather wetter than they should be!

Big blob of rain coming down the M4 at the moment almost at the M25.