Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England/East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 26/01/14 12z --------->

A.J

Posted

Morning everyone, hope you are all well and not to tired from watching the lamposts last night :-) looks dry, damp, dark, dreary, dismal in dirty Dartford today, don't think we had any wetness through the night, so in glad I didn't stay up. Let's hope we get some snow this week as I think we deserve it this weekend.

Off subject I know, but when arn't I, I think AS description of scenes are wonderful, you really can taste the salt in the air when he writes about his trips to the coast, also the humour in my opinion is second to none, puts my efforts to shame. AS thanks and keep them coming, as I enjoy them and I am sure I am not the only one.

Got mostly an office based week this week, preparing some big budgets, also we got the bank manager coming in on Thursday, I must admit I don't like his visits, always leads to having to prepare a load of meaningless projections of future work, profits etc., our problem is we are all engineers, we got no financial help, knowledge etc within the company, so we always have to wait until he asks for something. Plus I don't understand all the numbers and what they mean, so I sit there looking thick, no rude comments please.

Hope you all have a great week.

Edited by Charltonkerry
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, blue sky summers, misty,frosty autumns!

Good morning all.

Well,disappointed to get up and hear rain on the conservatory roof as I came downstairs! It's 2.6 here but the precipitation is falling as icy rain.

Glad that some areas had some snow, just not our turn. Oh well, I shall remain optimistic that we might see some flakes of snow sometime before spring arrives!

Have a good day whatever you are doing, and be careful on the roads as they could be icy, as just heard on the radio major delays on M23 around Gatwick due to a multi car pile up.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Morning, just frosty here by the looks of it. Oh well

Posted

Morning everyone, hope you are all well and not to tired from watching the lamposts last night 

Morning CK, morning all.

A twitch-free night of rest for me as I wasn't expecting anything and a quick look at some models for the week also hints at a lack of wintry precip down here. There might be some spells of sleet and wet snow to the North of our region at times later in the week, but it's hardly inspiring and nothing you can build a snowman with eh?

Eyes down for a bit of convection in The Channel for a few days, tomorrow looking increasingly more thundery:

Posted Image

Posted Image

The search for a real Winter continues.....

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Morning all. :)

I won't be making an entry for the snow cup today. No surprise.

Have a good week everyone.:)

• Like 3

Posted

I've just run Met O 5 day and Netweather NMM out to Friday and I'm afraid they back GFS with fleeting moments of wet slush and then nothing in our region. For us snow lovers I think we need to start getting the first ingredient ready in this 'bake off' and that's the colder air later in the week. Perhaps then we can start to mix in the other items and see what comes out of the bowl.

Posted

Morning CK, morning all.

A twitch-free night of rest for me as I wasn't expecting anything and a quick look at some models for the week also hints at a lack of wintry precip down here. There might be some spells of sleet and wet snow to the North of our region at times later in the week, but it's hardly inspiring and nothing you can build a snowman with eh?

Eyes down for a bit of convection in The Channel for a few days, tomorrow looking increasingly more thundery:

Posted Image

Posted Image

The search for a real Winter continues.....

Yes, I think a few of us (or possibly more than a few) will hear thunder in the next couple of days. Tomorrow more likely?

I have no real excitement for any wintry precipitation here this week. I just can't see it being a big deal. Still if some of us see some flakes (Thursday?) then it'll be more than anything so far this winter. :)

• Like 1

Posted

Yes, I think a few of us (or possibly more than a few) will hear thunder in the next couple of days. Tomorrow more likely?

I have no real excitement for any wintry precipitation here this week. I just can't see it being a big deal. Still if some of us see some flakes (Thursday?) then it'll be more than anything so far this winter. Posted Image

Got to try and pull some exciting weather out of the bag Steve. I'm desperate for some real snow like a few here, but what seems to be forecast generally for our region this week is a slight hindrance at best, not the stuff legends (or snowmen) are made of!

Not long now until we see some real snow though - on our flat screen TV's!!!

Posted Image

Edited by Coast
  • Like 2

Posted
A spokeswoman for UK Power Networks said by Sunday evening only "one or two single premises" were still waiting to be reconnected. In Surrey - one of the counties hit by power cuts - eyewitnesses in Chobham reported a "mini-tornado" so strong it lifted feral cats into the air like "paper bags". There were reports of a second tornado further north in Warwickshire where some families had to seek overnight shelter at a community hall. The weather caused some travel disruption in parts of the UK over the weekend.

The heaviest rainfall was in Wales, where about 22mm (0.9in) came down in 12 hours. Arriva Trains Wales say the line between Machynlleth and Pwllhelli, remains closed until 10 February following recent flooding. And Southern says a recent major landslip means a very limited service is running between Horsham and Dorking - and is unlikely to open until early February.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25908098

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Morning all.  It's damp and dreary here in Stevenage. Temp 2.4c and raining.

Hope you all have a good day today, whatever you are doing. :)

Posted

Don't go in the MOD thread this morning. I'm renaming it the Model Output Depression thread.....

Edited by Coast
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Well, layered myself up to the teeth this morning expecting it to be freezing and my car didn't even have a frost! OH's had a little bit on the roof, but think I might have been a bit over cautious. Oh well! Still I'm prepared if that easterly wind does eventually bite at the end of the week.

My Wx station had a snowflake on it for Wed/thur this week, but has cruelly snatched it away this morning. Oh well. :(

Happy Monday tho everyone! and please do share if you see an elusive snowflake! I will be gazing out of my office window in the hope the City microclimate doesn't microwave all those showers into rain...

• Like 3

Posted

Sitting at tulse hill waiting for the elusive train to Sutton def seems to have got colder here is that likely guys ????

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Ice and cold sunny days with blue skies.

Radwinter Essex: Slight frost first thing, now heavy sleety stuff with wet snow flakes mixed in.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW please

Hi all. Not sure what the radar showing but I can confirm it's snowing in Ashbocking, Suffolk (N of Ipswich) Pretty big flakes and when the wind blows looks quite heavy. its definitely more than a few flakes in the wind anyway. Still a bit of frost on the ground but can't see it settling or lasting very long. I feel very honoured though I must say!

Met had me down for heavy snow for this period last night, then changed it to light snow, then this morning to sleet...guess it will turn back to sleet if it carries on as temps rise.

Good luck to you all

Oh. Its stopped! Haha .Still... feel very lucky to have seen it at all!

• Like 3

Posted

Hi Robin, looking at the models today I'm not surprised, I never give up hope but even I can't find anything very positive this morning, brief easterly/north-easterly later in the week and may be the odd flake of snow here and there but after that the hunt for cold could extend well out into a potentially wet February. Obviously more rain wouldn't be welcome and the closer we get to spring, the more my enthusiasm for cold will wane.

Could just be one of those winters, we shall see.

Have a nice dayPosted Image

Yes, that's the thing. Sometimes really crap (for cold lovers) winters happen. I'm not yet ready to write this one off - it still being January - but if it ends up being a dud, then so be it, as nothing can be done about it. If people are desperate to see snow, then most have the means to do it.

I was insulated from the poor 90's and 2000's winters, to a degree, as I used to go skiing most winters until the mid 00's. :) so easily had my snow fix.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

Hi Robin, looking at the models today I'm not surprised, I never give up hope but even I can't find anything very positive this morning, brief easterly/north-easterly later in the week and may be the odd flake of snow here and there but after that the hunt for cold could extend well out into a potentially wet February. Obviously more rain wouldn't be welcome and the closer we get to spring, the more my enthusiasm for cold will wane.

Could just be one of those winters, we shall see.

Have a nice dayPosted Image

As you say not looking good.

Having said that, it's just a hunch and no evidence to back it up, but I think we'll have at least one more "chase" for the white stuff between now and the end of Winter. Given how just the last week has chopped and changed who knows what Feb and March might have in store?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

I think it is looking increasingly like a snowless winter, I think we have just about run out of time looking at the models going forwards, lets hope for a decent summer though!