Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 26/1/14 12z ------->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

up to 259.7mm for the month of January now.

Posted

up to 259.7mm for the month of January now.

What's the record for the Poole area? I reckon you could get some of the rain which is currently over the south-east and together with the deluge forecast for Friday easily break through 280mm.

Happy days!....and then a wet early Feb to look forward to.

Edited by Kiwi

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Think we should definitely collate rain figures for this month from across the region. As of Monday my gauge read 254.2mm, not going to beat December which from memory was about 350mm 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

I'm currently drier than most, 153.4mm and counting, witnessing only one dry day in January is a stunning statistic I would imagine, too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

4mm fell yesterday, 11mm this morning, as dorsebred pointed out, it was rather heavy. 260mm on the nose for January.

Currently 6.7C and overcast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Radar looks interesting for the south east with a wintry flavour to it. I wonder if it can hold together and deliver a surprise to our region after dark.. Posted Image

post-8911-0-55449100-1390995756_thumb.pn

• Like 1

Posted

Yes Mullender I was surprised to see it showing up as sleet this lunch time, presumably the cold air is undercutting the front.

Everything is so slow moving though, from reviewing the radar from this morning a shower that was near Warminster at 06.30 took nearly 6 hours to move approx 50 miles towards Minehead/Watchet where it finally died out.

It's actually been a fine morning around here with the cloud breaking at dawn leaving sunny spells until about an hour ago since when it's turned dull but still dry, 5.5c at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I can confirm that it's just rain here in Egham. Temperature is also 5C so not cold enough for sleet yet.

I also invite any facebook users to visit my weather page on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/westcountryweather I'm currently in the process of uploading photos from the start of 2012 up until now and will continue to do so when I've caught up with now.

Edited by MP-R

Posted

ppn is still marching (dawdling) west gradually and it doesn't seem to be losing intensity yet so maybe by 9pm we might see something.

4c here currently but I expect that to drop in next few hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Dry Day so far, at least  until 2100 hrs. 4.5c with a 12.2kmh breeze. Precipitation total reads 112.8mm for the month..

Posted

ppn is still marching (dawdling) west gradually and it doesn't seem to be losing intensity yet so maybe by 9pm we might see something.

4c here currently but I expect that to drop in next few hours.

I wouldn't get your hopes up for anything apart from rain.

.....currently wet, 4.2C with dewpoint of 3.0c here in north Hampshire

Edited by Kiwi

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

29 rain days so far this January - 100% (*slow hand-clap).  242.6mm (so far!) where the Jan average is 64mm. Already the wettest January on record, according to http://www.southamptonweather.co.uk/sotonhist.php, beating the previous record of 207.3mm set in Jan 1906.

Quite a way to go, though, to beat the all time monthly record which is evidently 280.7mm set in Oct 1903. Having said that, Friday looks absolutely FILTHY so maybe I shouldn't tempt fate....

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Down she goes, still only on the Western edge of the precipitation band here but Temp keeps dropping, although it still needs to drop considerably for me, those at elevation could be rubbing their hands over the prospect of some wet snow later.

3.3c now after a high of 4.5c this morning, a drop of over half a degree in the last hour, in fact.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

I wouldn't get your hopes up for anything apart from rain.

.....currently wet, 4.2C with dewpoint of 3.0c here in north Hampshire

I take it back.......just been on the school run .....splat test on the windscreen confirmed sleet (albeit v wet sleet).

Temp has dropped to 3.4c 

• Like 1

Posted

I take it back.......just been on the school run .....splat test on the windscreen confirmed sleet (albeit v wet sleet).

Temp has dropped to 3.4c 

Some of the cloud here is certainly very black despite not being thick, so i have no doubt it is snow cloud. The air temperature however still feels far too warm for any precipitation to remain as snow when it gets to ground level.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Some of the cloud here is certainly very black despite not being thick, so i have no doubt it is snow cloud. The air temperature however still feels far too warm for any precipitation to remain as snow when it gets to ground level.

Here the cloud has that dirty, yellow tinge which I always think of as snow cloud. Still too warm, though, as you say. My daughter says she can smell snow coming so I will ask her later on Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Pretty much as the same look here, temp is 5.7C and a dewpoint of 4.8C - not likely to be anything wintry here. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Just to add to the previous it now has me down for heavy snow showers Sunday morning although that's along way off and will change although it would be nice if we could get one wintry surprise out of this weak cold spell.

Princetown, similarly has got heavy snow showers due saturday night and early sunday. I'll just be below the snow level here but worth the half drive up the hill

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: HOT SUNNY

Hi all,

Weather update from up here in the Cotswolds ..................

Rain rain and more rain.

Temp 3deg

• Like 1

Posted

Hi all,

Weather update from up here in the Cotswolds ..................

Rain rain and more rain.

Temp 3deg

Posted Image

Not a good sign Posted Image

3c here also but hoping it will drop before/if any ppn gets over here.

Posted

Dew point is 1.5

Got to be close to seeing the first flake of winter

Posted

Dew point is 1.5Got to be close to seeing the first flake of winter

Have you not seen any on the Cotswolds this winter? Its been dire here for the mendips too but I have seen snow a few times just extremely pathetic, had a slushy dusting on Monday morning.

Weekend looks of more interest to be honest once the low has cleared through. clutching at straws though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Dew point is 1.5 Got to be close to seeing the first flake of winter

I have just shone a touch out and it's sleety snow. Very wet but on the turn !
  • Like 4

Posted

Have you not seen any on the Cotswolds this winter? Its been dire here for the mendips too but I have seen snow a few times just extremely pathetic, had a slushy dusting on Monday morning.Weekend looks of more interest to be honest once the low has cleared through. clutching at straws though.

Hi Not a single flake! I remember days like this in the 70's and 80's where it would rain all day, then by late afternoon the rain Turning to snow. Watching from the classroom window then walking home in heavy snow! Edited by farmeryellow
  • Like 2