Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 26/1/14 12z ------->

A.J

Posted

A lack of showers in West Wiltshire too so far! Never in a million years did I expect a mostly dry morning out working but there were only 2 blustery showers which came as decaying anvils passed overhead! Totally different story from central Somerset towards Bath/Bristol though, that's where the streamer has been so far although it does seem to be edging E/SE as the LOW drifts down.

Posted

I've been a bit too far south east for much of that streamer to affect me; had some bursts of rain that were heavy when they did fall, but they were short lived. Raining here now and I think this is due to the low drifting down as Andy alluded to, which looks like it'll make the rainfall a lot more widespread across the SW in particular!

Edited by dec10snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

The showers are beginning to gang up now, could be a bit wetter later this afternoon and in to the evening. 

post-15177-0-04382300-1390918879_thumb.p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Rain setting in steady now in last 15 mins ,getting moderate and western sky getting darker .looking at radar some hvy rain brewing out in bristol channel looks like a possible 25mm or so overnight as our low drops south and later tomorrow as colder air feeds in we could see some brief wintryness over hills etc .this weekend looking dire again with hvy rain strong winds and all but kitchen sink ,next week if low pressure comes further than forecast east could see copiouse amounts of rain ,Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

My hunt for snow is not important anymore..... It's a good bit of HP that's needed now.Take care everyone

Just had a bit on my bacon sarnie...sorry, couldn't resist.

But agreed! We desperately need a break from the incessant rain. Although today has been pretty nice :)

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Nothing here thus far, but one heavy shower in Yeovil around 2ish.

Posted

Possible snow Thurs according to Ian F

It's been an on-off issue over last 48hrs in NAE versus E4. Based on new signal being bolstered somewhat (again), we go formost likely higher groud north of M4 (Chilterns, Cotswolds, perhaps Wiltshire and Berkshire Down and northern side of Salisbury Plain. Circa 40% chance settling snow on grassy surfaces to NW (Chilterns)....lower risk for the Downs; ditto a low risk (20-30%) of snow falling at low levels in e.g. London and suburbs (only a 10% risk of it settling in the capital and environs).

Posted

Possible snow Thurs according to Ian FIt's been an on-off issue over last 48hrs in NAE versus E4. Based on new signal being bolstered somewhat (again), we go formost likely higher groud north of M4 (Chilterns, Cotswolds, perhaps Wiltshire and Berkshire Down and northern side of Salisbury Plain. Circa 40% chance settling snow on grassy surfaces to NW (Chilterns)....lower risk for the Downs; ditto a low risk (20-30%) of snow falling at low levels in e.g. London and suburbs (only a 10% risk of it settling in the capital and environs).

Is that something new precip wise or is it Weds night into the early hours of Thurs as the occlusion drifts West introducing the brief spell of cold air.

Posted

This may be interesting to some: http://www.flickr.com/photos/environment-agency/12187472774/in/photostream/

Rainfall anomaly for the 23rd December to 5th January, shows how wet it was for the south. Would be interesting to see such a map for a more extended period over the last couple of months.

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Possible snow Thurs according to Ian F

It's been an on-off issue over last 48hrs in NAE versus E4. Based on new signal being bolstered somewhat (again), we go formost likely higher groud north of M4 (Chilterns, Cotswolds, perhaps Wiltshire and Berkshire Down and northern side of Salisbury Plain. Circa 40% chance settling snow on grassy surfaces to NW (Chilterns)....lower risk for the Downs; ditto a low risk (20-30%) of snow falling at low levels in e.g. London and suburbs (only a 10% risk of it settling in the capital and environs).

Nothing for the south west then  Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Still signs of snow on top of the moors over the weekend. If you want to see the white stuff this winter it seems you have to really make the effort!

Posted

Stupid people choosing to live on flood plains in houses/farms that have been in their families for generations!

Pop down to Muchelny and tell them they've brought it on themselves...

The rivers need dredging, they could hold 35% plus water but the various agencies have stopped this happening.  Farmers were doing it but then then the environmental agency became involved and said that they were harming wildlife so they would take over...then the gov't cut back spending, but still stopped the farmers doing it.

I'm not saying for one second this would have stopped all of the flooding, no one can fight with the weather gods, but it would have caused less destruction and heartache that's for sure.

Edited by dancing daisy
  • Like 1

Posted

Stupid people choosing to live on flood plains in houses/farms that have been in their families for generations!

The rivers need dredging, they could hold 35% plus water but the various agencies have stopped this happening.  Farmers were doing it but then then the environmental agency became involved and said that they were harming wildlife so they would take over...then the gov't cut back spending, but still stopped the farmers doing it.

I'm not saying for one second this would have stopped all of the flooding, no one can fight with the weather gods, but it would have caused less destruction and heartache that's for sure.

It is daft although I feel I can sleep better at night on my hill knowing that those rare invertebrates are safe from the evil dredging Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Judt niticed on my met office app it says snow for wednesday night into thursday?! Is it possible?

Edited by mullender83

Posted

The Quangocrats from the Environ agency are the ones to blames, primarily, led by ex-Labour minister Lord Smith (Chairman of Environ agency) who is on £100K a year for a 3-day week - nice work if u can get it!

Secondly, the govt for not stumping up the money, from their Emergency Fund, needed to try and turn things around - although it's probably too late now it's all happened.

I believe one of the reasons the Environ agency has given over the years for not dredging is to protect some rare species of wildlife - welcome to Britain 2014!.

Don't really understand why people choose to live on land at or below sea level though - people can move even if a property or land has been in the family for generations. Only the 'very few' have that kind of privilege.

Edited by Bristle boy
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

On the subject of environmental and government policy, not that this is the appropriate forum for such discussion, my thoughts from before on this still stand.

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/78938-south-westcentral-southern-england-regional-weather-discussion-1114-18z/?p=2893682

What you cannot afford to have is an ineffective response from the "powers that be", seemingly that is a big part of the problem here. Also, whichever standpoint people might take on the wildlife, the beasties within the whole ecosystem also need protecting. Also, a lot of the onus has to be with the property owners be that the land owners, whom might be farmers, general public etc. but they are again tied up with red tape. The main conclusion I come to overall, is that red-tape stops progress because of certain environmental and other legislation. The building industry generally builds out of town properties where they like despite rigorous procedures sometimes suggesting that they shouldn't build in said area. As a birder, I feel for the Barn Owls as there is a Somerset Action Plan which is in effect to ensure suitable nesting habitat in every Somerset parish. Given the slow progress of recovery when the dry spell eventually arrives, it will be unlikely that the birds will have survived. Furthermore, their food source damaged to with drowned shrews, voles, mice etc. in flooded fields, even drowned worms too. Natural ecosytems across the world are under the same pressures and mankind needs to assist the wildlife in order to help ourselves. It can be achieved and that's my broader view which you can either ignore or take on board as you see appropriate.

Anyway, what's on offer with regard to the weather, oh yes, more of the same, rain, rain, rain and more rain. Posted Image Can't be all that depressing though because I did achieve one dry day in January and that was on the 20th, the day before my Birthday. Posted Image  The weather will do what it wants to do however and as someone largely unaffected by all this mayhem, at least it has been providing us with some entertainment as well as in the Natural world. What does the first week of February hold for most, my thoughts from yesterday still concur.

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/79215-model-output-discussion-25th-jan-onwards/?p=2910987

and

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/79215-model-output-discussion-25th-jan-onwards/?p=2911156

We mustn't rule some brief wet snow over the highest peaks down this way over the next day or so either with Thursday especially feeling very bitter in the wind. Posted Image

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 1

Posted

Rain failing like stair-rods, ho hum, s'gonna be a very wet walk to work this mornin.

looking at the radar it looks as if you and Mapantz have your own personal streamer - a very narrow but continuous stream of showers. Will be interesting to see what rainfall totals come from it.

Overcast here but not currently raining

Posted

Judt niticed on my met office app it says snow for wednesday night into thursday?! Is it possible?

Definitely possible Mulls, as highlighted by the GFS, obviously not to be taken at face value but it shows the risk is there;

post-18937-0-04005000-1390982709_thumb.j

post-18937-0-73703600-1390982726_thumb.j

Edited by dec10snow
  • Like 1

Posted
Heavy rain set to hit North Devon on Friday and Saturday

Posted Image

A SEVERE weather warning for heavy rain this weekend has been issued by the Met Office.

The agency has put the yellow warning in place between 8am on Friday and 3am on Saturday. Up to 40mm of rain is expected to fall on high ground in the area while lower areas will see up to 30mm. The public are being warned to be aware of the risk of flooding, particularly given recent heavy rainfall.

A chief forecaster at the Met Office said: “Another very deep area of low pressure will spread heavy rain and strong to gale force winds eastwards across the UK during Friday, before the associated frontal systems clear the south-east of England during the early hours of Saturday. “Following recent wet weather the areas highlighted have saturated ground and are particularly sensitive to further heavy rain.â€

Posted

Definitely possible Mulls, as highlighted by the GFS, obviously not to be taken at face value but it shows the risk is there;

Just to add to the previous it now has me down for heavy snow showers Sunday morning although that's along way off and will change although it would be nice if we could get one wintry surprise out of this weak cold spell.

• Like 2