Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 26/1/14 12z ------->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Yet another vile day. And I've got a lovely 30 minute walk onto campus now. Sick of this weather, I'd love a Bartlett right now - words I thought I'd never say.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Well I managed to get to the sea front, pretty mad at 12pm.

The bay road to sandbanks was closed, the sea was breaching the sea wall and the roads impassable. some pretty serious beach erosion at Branksome chine and the same at Sandbanks when I cam back via compton acres.

Poole Park pretty bad as well.

Managed to get some pics, hopefully I will have time to get some uploaded later.

Wind dropped off, but it seems to be picking up again now.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

Wind is picking up again, this is coinciding with the increase in wind up the Bristol channel as forecast. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Hmm..nice little report on the guardian...we are in the storm factory...http://www.designweek.co.uk/news/guardian-unveils-new-responsive-website/3037904.article

Southern England is "stuck" in a "storm factory" according to Dr Rob Thompson, a meteorologist at the University of Reading. In an email he warns there is no end in sight to the weather pattern that has caused so much disruption this winter. He said:

This pattern of weather, with a constant conveyor belt of Atlantic storms hitting southern Britain, shows no sign of abating yet. It’s caused by conditions in the North Atlantic where warm, moist air from the tropics is coming up unusually close to very cold polar air. This clash of air masses is effectively a storm factory, causing twisting, rotating weather systems to form before being fired eastwards at Britain by a strong jet stream.

It’s not uncommon for weather patterns in Britain to get ‘stuck’ as they have been in recent weeks. Lots of weather research is currently focusing on why winter storms tend to cluster together like London buses. This current cluster seems to be going on particularly long though, and is unprecedented for the south of England. With more bad weather predicted for Friday and Saturday the storm factory is running at full pelt and doesn’t look like going out of business just yet.

Edited by gottolovethisweather
changed font size so easier to read
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool and dry

Biblical is the word out there for last night and today in east Devon/West Somerset...

Trees down all over the place, wind is relenetless and theres so much water in the fields and streams that the rain over the next two-three days is going to cause some major probelms...not that we don't have major problems already.

Network Rail reckon 4-6 weeks to repair the track at Dawlish...pull the other one!

Edited by Snow Schmow
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I've just returned from Studland, the road leading to the chain ferry was under water, I have never known a high tide like it! Shell bay looks totally different from when I went fishing a few weeks ago. 

The high tide was progged to be 2.0m on a normal tide, it was measured at 2.8m today, if it had been an Easterly, the flooding would have been extraordinary!

I got caught in a cracking hail shower on the studland road, on the way there, and in exactly the same place on the way back :lol:

I'll upload some pics later, when the camera is recharged.

• Like 1

Posted

Blimey. I went out and recorded the BBC national and local news so as to catch up on the latest forecasts. I had hoped to see tomorrow's LOW arriving after lunch time for our region, but no, rain onto the South coast soon after dawn and spreading inland quickly through the morning!

That means the drier spell will come overnight which will aid nothing of any attempt at a clear up operation before the next deluge. I said to my wife yesterday (and I may have posted it on here) that I thought the rain tomorrow would arrive earlier and earlier as forecasts neared the time.

At this stage Friday does look drier although a front is shown moving in from the West before decaying. We are in such a situation that I would not be surprised if 1. that front keeps intact to bring more showery rain on Friday or 2. that the next LOW after tomorrow's which is due Friday night turns up during Friday daytime!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

I'm not sure if the wind is supposed to pick up again, but thankfully for the time being it's a lot calmer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Sandbanks bay

post-16760-0-68285700-1391615555_thumb.j

Branksome Chine

post-16760-0-11241700-1391615590_thumb.j

post-16760-0-19625200-1391615624_thumb.j

Other end of Sandbanks bay closure

post-16760-0-34014700-1391615672_thumb.j

Poole Park

post-16760-0-57764700-1391615726_thumb.j

post-16760-0-91903500-1391615761_thumb.j

Hope this works, done from my phone on 3G

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

new thread coming soon folks, so please finish off any posts....link to follow

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!