Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 26/1/14 12z ------->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, tornados

Terrible here on IOW

Only finished work about an hour ago, and spent most of my shift in the bad weather walking with an Autistic guy i support, come rain/snow/gale force winds he INSISTS on going out for evening walk, had 3 near misses with branches coming off trees, got soaked to the bone, freezing cold but stuck it out for 3.5hrs walking..now drinking a glass of wine Posted Image

My old house is creaking and horrid spooky rumbling noises go thru the house when we get the gusts...shudders i no like this..

Stay safe guys and for goodness sake STAY AWAY FROM SEAFRONTS!!! Posted ImagePosted Image

Latest Data

981.5 (falling at 5.9mb/hr)   (and that was something just flew down street whilst typing latest data ) Posted Image

Max gusts 60mph in last hour

Soil Moisture 17.0cb

Leaf Wetness 15.0

Dew Point 5.6c

Temp 7.3c

• Like 1

Posted

Its bloody scary here in the forest,...the noise is incredible..this is when I regret living in a wooden house with big trees all round it....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

The river levels are responding rather rapidly to the rain. For instance, here is the River Exe at Exwick, an important location in terms of travel as it is this area where the trains run closest to the river. Obviously currently the trains are not running to the west of Exeter because of coastal flooding and other weather related concerns, however with more rain forecast, this section is always one to watch.

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/riverlevels/120726.aspx?stationId=3262

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Dare I say it, it has been windy but nothing noteworthy here, especially if you compare it with earlier in the year. There has hardly been any rain either, awaiting some decent showers to change that.

Pressure is 979.2mb.

Edited by Mapantz

Posted

Just stopped raining here, and as for the wind well that didn't really get going in these parts.

Posted

Wind is still very gusty here with heavy bursts of rain. Not looking forward to the drive to work/assessing the damage to fences etc in the morning

Update - road shut between Sidford and Honiton, according to Mr Loo on an early start

Edited by Cakie

Posted

Good grief what a night!! Very strong, almost continuous gusts here this morning, and as for the rain, let's not go there. This is a severe storm, as predicted. Goodness knows what's blowing around out there. Be careful if you have to go out, if you have a choice stay at home.

Posted

Hi, 

I`m travelling down to Brockenhurst from Yorkshire for a week this coming Friday and I wondered what the situation in this particular area was like regarding flooding and its associated problems if any? I `ve seen the weather warnings and news etc but wondered if anyone had more specifics

I know thousands of people are having a truly horrendous time down in the South West to put it mildly, hope everyone stays safe and all this rain eases urgently and people can rebuild their lives and livelyhoods

Any help re travel would be appreciated guys as I don`t know the area well at all

Thanks

• Like 1

Posted

Travelling in this morning, the suburbs of the PBC conurbation appear reasonably unscathed.

Wind is still averaging 48mph down here on the coast.

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Hi,  I`m travelling down to Brockenhurst from Yorkshire for a week this coming Friday and I wondered what the situation in this particular area was like regarding flooding and its associated problems if any? I `ve seen the weather warnings and news etc but wondered if anyone had more specifics I know thousands of people are having a truly horrendous time down in the South West to put it mildly, hope everyone stays safe and all this rain eases urgently and people can rebuild their lives and livelyhoods Any help re travel would be appreciated guys as I don`t know the area well at all Thanks

Should be ok in New Forest, just avoid the Ford's.Travelling to the New Forest should be fairly un-problematic as you'll use the main Motorway networks all the way to the end of the M27, and then you are at the Forest. Bit soggy though, so I'd not bother with the picnic blanket.Enjoy
  • Like 3

Posted

Some of the hail last night was intense around the squall lines which came through. Still heavy rain and wind.

Totally agree with that! If you have the Net Weather radar zoom to BA12 at 03.00 and you will see what woke me! We had a whiteout for a few minutes until the hail turned back to torrential rain and washed the hail away! I had 26mm in my gauge overnight, February is at 41mm already.

Not too bad so far this morning with brief showers and a gusty wind, however the cloud base is blatantly lowering and getting darker ahead of the next front.

Posted

Absolutely pouring here again this morning, wind doesn't seem as bad as last night, but is predicted to get stronger throughout the day... Stay safe all!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Well what a lovely day... not.

Sat in waiting for BG to come round and fix my boiler, they have to go on the roof to fix the flue, not sure that's going to happen with the wind and rain.

Edited by SteveB

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

I have a feeling that for us here the worst of the winds will be when they switch to the southwest.

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

24mm in my gauge up to 08.15, but surprisingly the local stream is not up much.  Power flicked several times yesterday evening, but has stayed on....so far.  Looks like a nasty squall line coming through right now.  Staying put today.

Edit to add that a further 3mm fell between 08.15 and 09.00.  There's been a lot more since then, but I've not ventured out again!

Edited by Lyn-M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

24mm in my gauge up to 08.15, but surprisingly the local stream is not up much. Power flicked several times yesterday evening, but has stayed on....so far. Looks like a nasty squall line coming through right now. Staying put today.

I've recorded less than 3mm lolJust checked the manual gauge against the Davis, 3mm in there, so hardly any rain at all here.I see Amber warnings have been issued until late afternoon.I've had some impressive sustained winds here inland, top gusts registering only 35mph but that's due to too many obstacles in the way. Pressure 976.0 and still falling. Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: after the last year not rain rain & more rain!

Wooh! its windy, wet, no hold on very very windy. Thats the worst its been this winter. My normal commute is Newton Abbot to Exeter by rail with my trusty folding bike. Don't think that this means of getting into work is going to happen for a while. The stretch of line between dawlish and dawlish warren is really exposed to straight southlies. Good luck to those out and about today. Peter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Certainly a lot of differences according to where you are located within the region. In Newbury, we escaped the worst of the rain and the wind was meaningless really. We have however already had getting on towards an inch of rain for February and we're only on the fifth day. Air Pressure is very low at only976.8mb as I type and I can expect some thundery type downpours after this next mini rain front has cleared through. Take care all.

Hole tight south west... It's coming back! This moving to effect the South east too!

Posted Imagewind.jpg

Yep, that ties up nicely with the passing of the next rain band I would suggest. Peak gusts along the back edge once again and in the heavier showers I would imagine.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Pressure down to 963.1hPa

Heavy rain, currently 12.6mm so far today, 22.5mm in the last 24hrs

• Like 1