Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 25th Jan onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Only the ECM can show a south westerly from the Carribean and then on the next run have a bracing easterly straight from Siberia.

Posted Image

Look at that cold heading our way Posted Image

Strangely the ECM is poorest during the mid-range, failing to develop cut off heights over Iceland and relies on some very dubious amplification which looks much higher risk than a small chunk of heights shown on the UKMO/GEM and to an extent GFS which can link with heights over Svalbard.  

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Nice to see ECMWF showing signs of a change, 

Posted Image

Come on GFS you can do it ! It's trying at least...

Posted Image

GEM

Posted Image

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Only the ECM can show a south westerly from the Carribean and then on the next run have a bracing easterly straight from Siberia.

Posted Image

Look at that cold heading our way Posted Image

Well said Captain ,plenty in the charts to keep us glued ,certainly no let up on the horizon unless later ecm frames verify ,and then another possible hazard  SNOW ,looks like a very interesting model output to come .Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

I would love to see the faces of those waking up to the ECM this morning. HP over the UK linking up with HP extending S from Svalbard. http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Recm1681.gif http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Recm1921.gif Link up complete and note the incredible surge of cold spreading S. http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Recm2161.gif Beyond +240 if this run was to verify the orientation of the HP would tilt slightly W-E rather than N-S. This would mean the incredible cold would start backing W. This is the kind of synoptic set up that is rare and where -20C upper temps can reach the SE.

This, you feel, is a critical moment of the winter. If the charts above gather some consistency is the next 2 days, we may yet get a genuine cold spell this month. But still could go either way at this stage.
  • Like 2

Posted

Crikey. Had to get up very early this morning to take my four year old son to nursery. Needless to say I won't be mentioning the charts to him. Epic is the only word.

Once, just once, can this be right?

• Like 2

Posted

well it hasn't come 'out of the blue' but it remains so unsupported by the ens in general that it really shouldn't get too much attention. And yet, it does seem plausible, given recent days op output.

eyes down for the ECM ens (which should offer some support as they ususally do tend to follow the op) and then the gefs through the day. We have seen a general propensity to raise a ridge in the ens but the upstream profile has generally flattened it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Amongst the upgrades this morning , which the models have been hinting at for quite some time , especially as the 0'z this year have tended to be the set to bring us all crashing back to earth with a bump , this I feel has to be a very good sign .

Nobody has mentioned this possible snow event either at a much more reliable time frame .

post-9095-0-87331400-1392190144_thumb.jppost-9095-0-63433300-1392190160_thumb.jp

Given the colder air in place and cold air sucking quickly in behind it there may be a genuine case for a snow event on its northern flank . Gfs has this low further north and a bit too flabby to bring anything , whereas the ECM keeps it clean .

Not too mention this evening and tonight is going to be a very snowy night for the higher ground of northern England , and various streamers further south feeding consistent wintry showers , things are definitely beginning to get interesting . It's the 12 feb today so we have a good 5 weeks left available to receive disruptive snow with the right Synoptics . So all is not lost folks

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,

ECM has latched on to what a number of GEFS members and operationals were playing with a number of days ago, think Mucka anf TEITS also mentioned it,although it has to be said that at that point the ECM couldnt as they were out beyond t240. great charts although there are a number of different outcomes from where we are today, so still very much tentitive hopes at this point :)

Edited by Nicholas B
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Three GEFS at T192 are close enough to the ECM at the same time frame to be a cluster but at the moment the majority stay with the Atlantic flow, mean:

post-14819-0-82443000-1392190424_thumb.p

Bt T240 there are four Scandi Highs and a couple Atlantic Ridges, so more synoptic scatter than of late, and maybe a prelude to a pattern change (taking the other models on board)?

Bt D16 the GEFS are showing the PV more organised and depending on what happened in the upcoming lull we are either facing more of the same, MLB or some colder charts:

post-14819-0-77599600-1392190960_thumb.p post-14819-0-28046800-1392190972_thumb.p post-14819-0-27665300-1392190984_thumb.p

post-14819-0-35125800-1392190997_thumb.p post-14819-0-99990600-1392191009_thumb.p

So no conclusions yet but certainly slightly lower confidence in the maintenance of the current pattern, though still favourite, as the London ens highlight (cold still seemingly at a premium): 

post-14819-0-81395600-1392191227_thumb.g

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Very good GEM this morning also. With almost all models showing similar Synoptics just variations of the same thing really surely this has to be a trend . You can't have every model barking up the wrong tree can we?

post-9095-0-82654800-1392191262_thumb.jp

Meh !

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,

Very good GEM this morning also. With almost all models showing similar Synoptics just variations of the same thing really surely this has to be a trend . You can't have every model barking up the wrong tree can we?

Posted Imageimage.jpg

Meh !

Think you know the answer to that one already bud? Lets hope not though, ensembles from the GEFS are hardly inspiring at this point however

Posted

well it hasn't come 'out of the blue' but it remains so unsupported by the ens in general that it really shouldn't get too much attention. And yet, it does seem plausible, given recent days op output.eyes down for the ECM ens (which should offer some support as they ususally do tend to follow the op) and then the gefs through the day. We have seen a general propensity to raise a ridge in the ens but the upstream profile has generally flattened it.

Having looked through all the models this morning they seem to largely agree at 120 and 144 so at that range it makes sense to back the opp runs. The ECM opp in the longer term looks like a Feb 91 sort of event and is therefore extremely unlikely simply because it's the sort of thing we see in the models every year, but only verifies every 20 years or so! More likely we would develop a separate high pressure cell over the uk or the sheer depth of cold would lead to the dreaded shortwave development with the whole lot ending up over Greece.As you say, very low confidence at this point in anything major and I won't be telling my kids ;-)
  • Like 4

Posted

yes your chart is there Steve, this time ECMWF being the leader. It would be unfair for me not to say it is not what I would expect to verify using the anomaly charts. That said they are not infallible so an interesting few days from 144h down. Certainly the NOAA outputs did not suggest anything like it last evening so be interesting to see the EC-GFS version for 6-10 days this morning.

I've just downloaded EC-GFS and sure enough they both show some kind of upper ridge where for days they have shown nothing like it. I have also downloaded the 240h EC and will when I get time post a pdf of the conflicting charts from anomaly and synoptic. Highly interesting over the next 2-3 days to see how things turn out whatever the outcome in terms of actual weather.

No model output is infallible. This is why it is wise to use forecasting instinct alongside computers when looking at the medium/long range.

A good example of over reliance of models is what occurred many years ago when I first joined this forum. A band of snow was hitting the N Midlands and a forecaster on this site (won't embarrass them) said the band of snow will move to SE England because the models said so. However the radar said otherwise and suggested SW. The reality was SW England were hit and the SE remained dry.

Over dependance on computers is something that occurs all the time not just in weather forecasting!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

Great ukmo & Gem this morning,Superseeded by an even more Epic ECMPlease just for once this winter let an ECM run verify-Note the link up- uk/iceland ridge to the svalbard highHigh risk manoevre though.....S

as i said yeasterday its coming you just know its coming why the pattern is changing and moving there is noway the vortex is going to go on foreve the strat events and a weakening jet were always going to favour better outputs towards the end of feb.

im very bullish in saying that a spring 2013 repeat looks pretty good.

of coarse more runs needed but this has been a few days now they will of coarse toy with ideas but the alantic onslaught looks to be slowing there for allowing some decent ridging to esablish its self remember the last scandi block it stuck around for atleast two weeks or more we were unlucky but this time round its more favourable.

as i said yeasterday its coming you just know its coming why the pattern is changing and moving there is noway the vortex is going to go on foreve the strat events and a weakening jet were always going to favour better outputs towards the end of feb.

im very bullish in saying that a spring 2013 repeat looks pretty good.

of coarse more runs needed but this has been a few days now they will of coarse toy with ideas but the alantic onslaught looks to be slowing there for allowing some decent ridging to esablish its self remember the last scandi block it stuck around for atleast two weeks or more we were unlucky but this time round its more favourable.

ding ding round 3 lol.

• Like 3

Posted

Well it’s a case of stick or twist with the ridge this morning. Any cold lover myself included will love the ECM, but how will change and evolve over the coming days, can it change for the better or is it just another red herring. Personally I doubt the ECM when it comes to easterlies, but if I’m wrong I will still enjoy my humble pie. Best case scenario the ECM is close, Second best, we get some sort of dryer interlude. The worst case, something like the GFS, which although not bad snow wise for some at times, will just heap more misery on the flooded south.

Edited by weather eater
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Fab-U-Lus 00z output this morning for cold and snow potential and even today there is snow in parts of the uk, upland areas could be buried under a deep blanket of snow with blizzards across higher parts of scotland and the pennines expect blizzards tonight..then the weekend could be cold and wintry with snow in places and frost / ice...and then look at the end of the Ecm 00zPosted Image Posted Image this will give the experts plenty to chew overPosted Image

Agreed Frosty,

Subtle changes in the METS medium term outlook.

" Towards the end of February the changeable weather looks set to continue, but with longer drier and brighter periods between bouts of rain and wind. As a result it may turn colder with an enhanced frost and ice risk."Nice to see thunder snow here last evening too.

I for one would be happy with a sudden u-turn in their assesment for obvious reasons.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

So here we go again, last call for the Siberian express, all aboard?

Before that though the member Severe Siberian icy blast has rightly mentioned a possible snow event in the much earlier time-frame and I have to agree, the 17th/18th looks like a good date for widespread snowfall though hard to say how far North/South any snowline might be. The Euros  have a fairly clean Northerly as Saturday's low  moves away into Scandinavia which pulls enough polar air across the UK for snow when the programmed slider  moves in behind on the 17th - though GFS is not as keen.

The brief Northerly looks a fairly good bet though it is hard to know how much and how far South any cold air will get before the slider moves in. The slider itself now also looks very likely but the timing and depth of this feature and how it interacts with the colder air will mean MBY snow chances will likely ebb and flow down to the last day.

After that event there is much uncertainty re the ridge behind. How strong will it be? Can it link up with the Arctic high? Will we get the undercut behind?

Nobody knows which is what makes the model output such fascinating viewing for weather geeks.

All we can do is weigh the balance of probability between outcomes with the limited information we have and in the knowledge that information will change/update through every day - we have all been humbled at one time or another by the vagaries of our weather, usually just when we thought we had this model stuff nailed.

From here I will personally have one eye on how clean that brief Northerly is and how the slider develops and another on the potential of the ridge behind.

It has been long old slog this Winter but will finally get a late winter treat? 

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 8

Posted

No model output is infallible. This is why it is wise to use forecasting instinct alongside computers when looking at the medium/long range.

Indeed Dave but by the same token forecasters are not infallible either, that’s been shown on this forum many times over the years by people allowing their hearts to rule their heads and it applies to those with lots of knowledge and to those with a much more modest amount, I include myself in that. When it comes to forecasting in the mid to longer range, a wise head is a sceptical head, I’ll start clapping when the fat lady is in the auditorium and about to come on stage.

• Like 6

Posted

A good example of over reliance of models is what occurred many years ago when I first joined this forum. A band of snow was hitting the N Midlands and a forecaster on this site (won't embarrass them) said the band of snow will move to SE England because the models said so. However the radar said otherwise and suggested SW. The reality was SW England were hit and the SE remained dry.

Over dependance on computers is something that occurs all the time not just in weather forecasting!

this also happens alot every winter mostly 09/10 winter had lots of events that were last minute.

Posted

Indeed Dave but by the same token forecasters are not infallible either, that’s been shown on this forum many times over the years by people allowing their hearts to rule their heads and it applies to those with lots of knowledge and to those with a much more modest amount, I include myself in that. When it comes to forecasting in the mid to longer range, a wise head is a sceptical head, I’ll start clapping when the fat lady is in the auditorium and about to come on stage.

Yes must admit over the years my biased towards cold has always affected my judgement of the model output although in recent times I have moderated this.

One concerning aspect if a bitter E,ly should occur is ice especially if the floods do not drain away in time. Shame I cannot play Ice hockey anymore otherwise I could of played a match on the River Nene here.

• Like 4

Posted

t144 is were the changes are expected to happen so up until this time is were we need to watch for future developements,

the gem jma ukmo and ecm have very much like for like charts thats pretty good cross model agreement up until t144.

the gfs is a model id look at up until t96 always.

it rather frustrates me with its redbull evolutions.

• Like 1