Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 25th Jan onwards

Paul

Posted

Best snow chances from the GEFS this morning for London: Posted Image

Best chance but little precip IDO ??

Posted

Quite surprised to see the ECM dropping its trend from last night, the UKMO now jumps to another solution! Very difficult to have much confidence in any of the outputs past T120hrs.

The ECM postage stamps have many different solutions on offer at T120hrs in terms of whether those would go onto show a more slider scenario:

http://www.ecmwf.int/samples/d/inspect/teasers/samplers/banner/mean_sea_level_pressure_and_temperature_at_850hpa!120!pop!od!enfo!enplot!2014010912!!/

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Pretty well broad agreement for a return to zonal stormy conditions in deep FI. In the reliable time a cold spell be it brief to go through. May even bring bring the first snow of the winter too us overnight. After that cold and wet until mid week when we get the dew points back.

Edited by The PIT

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Best snow chances from the GEFS this morning for London: 

Best chance but little precip IDO ??

I know its sad, even light showers is better than the winter down in the SE. The mean precipitation for around then:

post-14819-0-36364900-1390725152_thumb.p

About 10-18 hours potential for some light wintry stuff. Things could change, for the better (or worse). eg the op is a lot less keen.

• Like 1

Posted

Quite surprised to see the ECM dropping its trend from last night, the UKMO now jumps to another solution! Very difficult to have much confidence in any of the outputs past T120hrs. The ECM postage stamps have many different solutions on offer at T120hrs in terms of whether those would go onto show a more slider scenario: http://www.ecmwf.int/samples/d/inspect/teasers/samplers/banner/mean_sea_level_pressure_and_temperature_at_850hpa!120!pop!od!enfo!enplot!2014010912!!/

and there are quite a few which look more favourable and colder than the op!!!might see an upgrade later I think!!
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

The GEM is EPIC!!

Posted Image

disagreement at +6 if you look at the 3 models and the center of the low

• Like 3

Posted

UKMO does not go out that far, as for the GEM, if you have a point to make please post some charts to support your views. Tks.

I think you'll find this chart does existhttp://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rukm1441.gif.My point is quite obvious, I disagree with your post about the Atlantic rolling in and am stating that if you look at all the model output instead of cherry picking charts you will see it isn't so cut and dried.
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Pretty well broad agreement for a return to zonal stormy conditions in deep FI. In the reliable time a cold spell be it brief to go through. May even bring bring the first snow of the winter too us overnight. After that cold and wet until mid week when we get the dew points back.

Not really, the gfs and ECM yes , but how reliable is anything past t144? Not worth the time to even look at to be honest at the minute. Not sure why but the ECM is wild recently with its inconsistency , which is not like the ECM , but I do feel we are about to see yet another flip in the models to a much more blocked pattern, with the scandi high much more prominent , this week there will snow about . Also there is good wave 1/2 activity in the next week and that will be the final blow to the vortex I think.
  • Like 1

Posted

I think you'll find this chart does exist

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rukm1441.gif.

My point is quite obvious, I disagree with your post about the Atlantic rolling in and am stating that if you look at all the model output instead of cherry picking charts you will see it isn't so cut and dried.

Perhaps if you read my post properly you will understand the point I made...

This has been the consistent evolution for several days now; whether it actually happens or not remains to be seen, but that is what the charts suggest and charts are what we're supposed to be discussing.

Re UKMO, that is a 144hr chart, but for the record it also shows the Scandi block moving towards becoming a Kazak block, though it is a little better placed to hold up the Atlantic... 

Posted Image

GEM is a model that is only really taken seriously when it shows to coldest evolution...as per now.

Edited by shedhead
  • Like 2

Posted

Ah the folly of being swung by every run ... UKMO returns with a run that both maked sense of its recent output and indeed the shifting trends in all output - a slightly stronger east block resulting in a slightly more prolonged easterly from T72 to T120, followed by a battle of rain preceded by snow from the west at T144, the Atlantic possibly getting through for the moment but still cold evenso. Seems a fair forecast based on what we have - Azores high now too strong to allow a clean slider I would think.

Posted

Quite surprised to see the ECM dropping its trend from last night, the UKMO now jumps to another solution! Very difficult to have much confidence in any of the outputs past T120hrs.

My thoughts exactly, post 120hrs we have a mish-mash of solutions which should suggest to all on the forum little confidence in any of them is advisable. Its real wait and see job, a bit of a heavy weight contest, the scandi block as Ali on the ropes, playing dope-a-rope and the PV as Foreman, big strong and powerful, wanting to batter its way in, could go either way at this stage. ding ding next round starts just before ten.

• Like 1

Posted

Very disappointed with the ECM this morning not for what it is showing but

for its complete lack of consistency.You just can not trust its output

anymore.I did wonder yesterday that if the GFS and ECM had overdone the

distruption to the west of the UK the cold scenario would implode and I just

don't by it. I think the mid term to extended range the pattern should be

amplifing to the north which is the opposite to what these two models are

showing.

As for the UKMO I did say yesterday that it was just one run and sure enough

it has reverted back to something more inline (although not as cold) as what

it was showing in previous runs.

Posted

Perhaps if you read my post properly you will understand the point I made...

This has been the consistent evolution for several days now; whether it actually happens or not remains to be seen, but that is what the charts suggest and charts are what we're supposed to be discussing.

Re UKMO, that is a 144hr chart, but for the record it also shows the Scandi block moving towards becoming a Kazak block, though it is a little better placed to hold up the Atlantic... 

Posted Image

GEM is a model that is only really taken seriously when it shows to coldest evolution...as per now.

I know that is a 144hr chart. So were the two charts you posted?
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

As ha already been pointed out the way things currently stand there looks to be a range of options on the table post + 96 , but there a very few options that paint a picture that includes an extension of an Easterly feed. 

Here IS our Easterly. 

Posted Image

GFS really is not interested in dropping the 2nd low some time around Friday, instead it wants it to take the same route every other Low pressure this Winter has taken and knock our block out of the way....

this chart is + 138 so isn't inside the reliable zone, but here's the end of the block from the GFS perspective. 

Posted Image

ECM at + 144 looks very similar

Posted Image

You can see both models want to bring in a North Westerly feed afterward with some cold air entrenched and then both models are now in agreement about flattening everything out and back to stormy conditions. 

It's been the trend to flatten the pattern out and put us right back where we started in December for the past 4 or 5 days now. 

Not welcome news for those who are looking for an end to the wet weather IMO.

IF THIS COMES TO PASS, then I really can't see where another shot at cold would come from.

Due to the ECM evolution over the past few days IMO the 2nd nail in the coffin has been firmly nailed down for Winter 2013 / 2014. 

let's enjoy what next week brings and hope things change over the next few days / runs. 

But when both the ECM and GFS fall very much in line with the Met Office's outlook for Feb, you have to admit it's not looking good after this week. 

Edited by EML Network
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Going to echo the thoughts of many on the ECM, well I just want to slap it senseless. After around 10 days of that high being in situ to our north east, I don't buy the ECM/GFS evolution of it simply sinking away in 24 hours allowing a south westerly flow back into the UK for the foreseeable.

That leaves the other models which frankly want to not only keep the high but phase it with further pulses of heights being delivered from across the pole with the GEM developing a Scandi high on steroids

Posted Image

Game over for the Atlantic here with further pulses incoming to feed the high and a wall of cold marches westwards.

Probably the correct solution is probably in between with the battlefront draw somewhere across the UK, but more runs needed.

• Like 8

Posted

I know that is a 144hr chart. So were the two charts you posted?

No, they were the T+192hrs from GFS and ECM, which despite the overall confusion in the short/medium term looked very much alike.

So as Gibby summerised there is something of a split in the longer term evolutions between GFS/ECM on one side and GEM/NAVGEM on the other, with UKMO probably floating somewhere in the middle. Again as I said there is nothing to suggest the former will be correct, but they have shown a fairly consistent trend towards the Scandi block slipping SE, so for now if I had to put money on it I'd back them over GEM/NAVGEM. However, and this is the main point (reiterated several times yesterday) this DOES NOT MEAN MILD WEATHER, so any talk of the Atlantic coming back in should not automatically be viewed in this way.

• Like 3

Posted

No, they were the T+192hrs from GFS and ECM, which despite the overall confusion in the short/medium term looked very much alike.

So as Gibby summerised there is something of a split in the longer term evolutions between GFS/ECM on one side and GEM/NAVGEM on the other, with UKMO probably floating somewhere in the middle. Again as I said there is nothing to suggest the former will be correct, but they have shown a fairly consistent trend towards the Scandi block slipping SE, so for now if I had to put money on it I'd back them over GEM/NAVGEM. However, and this is the main point (reiterated several times yesterday) this DOES NOT MEAN MILD WEATHER, so any talk of the Atlantic coming back in should not automatically be viewed in this way.

Not wanting to prolong this but he does have a point Shedhead, your original post shows the same 1st Feb chart for the GFS and ECM as the Meto and GEM chart that he is using as an alternative to your own view. They are not T+ 192 charts that you posted.

Edited by Gmax
  • Like 5

Posted

The switching of modeling emphasis between the block and the Atlantic continues for the period after the low moves to our south around T96hrs..

ECM and GFS want to move it away but the UKMO holding firm as the next system comes in for Friday hitting the cold air.

I think this could still result in a snow event for quite a few if the UKMO is correct,especially for areas away from the sw.

T144hrs on that model shows every sign of rebuild of heights to our north as the approaching trough hits the brick wall.

http://www.meteociel.fr/ukmo/runs/2014012600/UN144-21.GIF?26-06

of course until we get nearer and agreement beyond T96hrs amongst the other models this is only one option.

What raises my expectations on a more UKMO type of setup though is looking at the GFS?ECM means for T144hrs

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rz500m6.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Reem1441.gif

We can see the trough inclining se and held back further west compared to the op runs.This would draw the surface flow off the continent with consequently lower dew points.

Thurs/Friday looks like the days to watch to see if the block has more life in it.If it holds then i can see the pattern really changing for a colder spell.

In the short term Phil we may well get some clues from the fronts expected to cross Germany in the next 24-36hrs.  On the face of it their progress eastwards seems fairly easy, despite temps of -10 to -15c now being in place, so whilst not exactly in our neck of the woods we may well learn some interesting lessons regarding the models/block durability. Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

In trying to offer balance to this thread, Shed, I feel that you go too far the other way and present a bias of the opposite to the predominant cold bias that most members here show. What it would be nice for you to present is a truly balanced post, more along the lines of there is great uncertainty regarding how far the Atlantic will push through against the Scandi block following mid week. There are a number of solutions on offer from all the different models which have chopped and changed against themselves from run to run.

Perhaps even put up the ensemble anomalies, rather than one or two cherry picked operationals (even these show stalling lows) - here is one from the ECM for T+240 - this suggests that any Atlantic inroads stall or slide SE as they come up against the block:

Posted Imageget_orig_img-2.gif

The NAEFS suite for the same time stretches the Atlantic trough over the UK but again suggests that any Atlantic attack will not travel further east than the UK and there are suggestions again that this will slide SW.

Posted Imageget_orig_img-3.gif

Balance in thread is great, but when those offering it justify it by offering a bias in the opposite direction it can be very frustrating. At least those searching for cold are quite overt with the bias!

Oh and just to differentiate, here is a chart from 2 years ago showing the Atlantic 'pushing through'

Posted ImageRrea00120111208.gif

That how I see things this morning Chiono..sorry about that.  If you looks back across the past 24-48hrs of posts from me I was seeing it rather differently, so if 'balance' is what you truely seek, look back and understand the balance is there.

• Like 2

Posted

The GEM is EPIC!!

Posted Image

disagreement at +6 if you look at the 3 models and the center of the low

the whole run is immense.please just once can a model run verify as shown.

the siberian express approaching at the end as well

• Like 2