Model output discussion 25th Jan onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Latest NMM, concerning to say the least Posted Image 

Posted Image

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Thanks for those Mucka, no other way than to describe those charts as cool to Average Temperatures by day alongside plenty of wet spells for most of the UK. There certainly should be some snow potential if the timings fall right but as ever, the further North and with elevation on your side you would be best positioned to witness those rarities of wintry snow flakes. For me, as in recent 12z runs there is a broader signal developing now towards something colder in the longer term. Anyone who has not viewed the current UKMO thinking, their forecast is along the same lines too. Quite frankly though, they will rightly be following the near-term events for now, however.

Anyone wishing to view the nearer term prospects may wish to visit the dedicated storm thread as that has received some sound analysis in recent postings.

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/79252-atlantic-storms-february-2014/page-21

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Those show that  temp. dip next week when a parcel of colder westerlies are modeled to cross the UK.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn1502.png

Could well be snow in a number of areas especially further north and over many higher levels as the rain bands move through.Still a while away but the -4 to-5C uppers coming off the Canadian vortex next week have shown on a few runs now so worth monitoring.

Meanwhile this week the fax's show 2 more nasty lows coming for us

post-2026-0-75351100-1391624031_thumb.gipost-2026-0-53366500-1391624040_thumb.gi

the jet continuing to drive those storms towards the UK bringing yet more unwelcome rain and strong  to gale force winds.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

ECM +72hrs

Posted Image

Strange that looking at that chart I'm like "OK..." when almost any other time a ~950mb low on our doorstep would be more like "good grief!", become so used to big storms this winter. I think only when we look back on this spell of weather in the future will we realise how extraordinary it has been.

http://images.meteociel.fr/im/1064/ECU1-144_uat3.GIF

Followed by this!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Posted Image

Sigh Posted Image

February, the sixth month of Autumn.... will it ever end Posted Image

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 5

Posted

A dreadful ECM T144hrs chart, that looks very bad in terms of winds and heavy rain, could also be some snow on the northwest flank of the low as some colder uppers move east to the north of the low.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Now that really is "good grief!" chart. Would make the current storms look like twig rustlers

I'm sure the MetOffice are twitching at that chart. 

Posted

No agreement between the big 3 at T144hrs so lets hope that low gets downgraded as it looks severe with that squeeze of the isobars on the southern flank.If it doesn't develop as much then its track would likely be shifted further south.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Tight little storm from the ecm 12z, some snow about i would think!

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

I'm beginning to lose a little faith in the ECM. It reorganises the PV far more strongly and rapidly than any of the other models and throws in the low from hell on the 11th for good measure. I'm sure it is within the bounds of possibility but this run seems very unlikely to verify me. I'm guessing tomorrow mornings run will look quite different regarding the PV and that low.

144 comparison. ECM/GFS/UKMO/GEM/JMA

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 1

Posted

Now that really is "good grief!" chart. Would make the current storms look like twig rustlers

Very nasty low and very disappointing output this evening Bobby, I really did think we were on the cusp of a pattern change but I'm starting to wonder if we haven’t just been sold another red herring, this is a poor ECM coming out, time to change the car for a boat.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

Bet that's rough if you're at sea Posted Image Posted Image overall a rubbish set of models so far this evening if you are looking for dryness - it's the same record played over and over since December.

Posted Image

Edited by Gaz1985

Posted

I'm beginning to lose a little faith in the ECM. It reorganises the PV far more strongly and rapidly than any of the other models and throws in the low from hell on the 11th for good measure. I'm sure it is within the bounds of possibility but this run seems very unlikely to verify me. I'm guessing tomorrow mornings run will look quite different regarding the PV and that low.

Let’s hope thats the case, it’s usually the GFS that goes overboard with dangerous looking lows and waters them down as we get close, that doesn’t seem to happening this year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

Ok, regarding next week. No agreement on the uppers. 

ECM = rain

GEFS = Potential for snow

UKMO = Mix of above.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Precipitation: As I said there is potential for white coldies.

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Finally at T240hrs the trough near the UK loses its energy supply from the PV, there may just be a chance for some drier weather after that, it looks like there will be uncertainty over in the USA as southern and northern stream energy merge this could produce a deep low and it looks a bit more amplified so we may see a ridge thrown ahead of that over the top of the cut off low in the Atlantic.

This is of course way out and theres an awful lot of wind and rain to come before that.

Posted

If the ecm is to be believed, its rain for the bulk of England, with the best snow potential for the NW.

Posted Image

snow accumulation out to t240/ ecm det.

Edited by draztik

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

As difficult as it is to put the despair aside, seeing charts like these really are something.

Posted Image

I have a feeling things are going to get worse, and the output certainly shows that before any major pattern change, at least we have lot's to keep an eye on for many different reasons! with the Lows swinging further South next week pulling cooler air in at times with it.

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

If the ecm is to be believed, its rain for the bulk of England, with the best snow potential for the NW.

Posted Image

snow accumulation out to t240/ ecm det.

Does Scotland just not exist any more? Posted Image

In particular, the incredible skiing conditions look set to continue for the Highlands based on this output

• Like 4