Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 25th Jan onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Ouch, bomb chucked up the English channel

Posted Image

For the broader picture, lets hope the GFS is wrong as by day 7 it's trying the redevelop the Canadian lobe again

Posted Image

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 1

Posted

Sorry BA but WZ gridpoint is Lat 51N 0W which is actually in the Weald of East Sussex which can get pretty chilly and is more representative of Southern England than the heat Island of London.

http://www.distancesfrom.com/51n-0w-latitude-longitude-51n-0w-latitude-51n-0w-longitude/LatLongHistory/2276570.aspx?IsHistory=1&LocationID=2276570

This 'Isle of Wight' malarky is a commonly quoted fallacy.

more relevant is the lat purga which is pretty close to the isle of wight (compared to london).  850's are referenced by gav and these are not affected by a heat island. 

and the snowdepths for the uk from that 12z op ecm

post-6981-0-98140300-1391552854_thumb.pn

most of it coming post day 5 so not a particularly useful tool but it does show 'worthwhile snow' for the uk.

all completely specious !

and tonight, i am starting to worry for those who have half term ski holidays booked - i doubt they will be able to reach the resorts !!!

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

more relevant is the lat purga which is pretty close to the isle of wight (compared to london).  850's are referenced by gav and these are not affected by a heat island. 

Posted Imageecmwf_snowdepth_europe_41.png

most of it coming post day 5 so not a particularly useful tool but it does show 'worthwhile snow' for the uk.

I remember someone posted one of them charts 2 weeks ago showing 6-8 inches of snow for the spine of the country from day 5. Eeek!

• Like 1

Posted

Blimey, its a bit sparky on here tonight Posted Image

Anyway, vast quantities of rain still looks the order of the day. I know a few are thinking there will be snow but I cant see it away from high ground and even if the odd flake makes it to ground zero there is zero chance of it settling.

Take this chart for instance

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?ech=192&code=0&mode=0

I've seen worse in early Feb. Some snow surely?

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?ech=192&code=0&mode=0

Nope, not with those uppers, no embedded cold air, warmer than normal SSTs and even if failing all of that it still managed to snow ground temps are way above where they should be given that most places have barely recorded an air frost all winter!

The second half of February could well be more interesting though and there is still a chance of deep cold (albeit the clock is ticking).

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Posted Imageecmwf_snowdepth_europe_41.png

and tonight, i am starting to worry for those who have half term ski holidays booked - i doubt they will be able to reach the resorts !!!

OK BA if that actually comes off I'll gladly owe you a virtual pint LOL!

Will your's be a pint of Mild or Bitter? Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Yikes, that's a lot of rain for the S, SW

Posted Image

I do hope that one is wrong - it would put an awful lot of properties under water.

• Like 2

I do hope that one is wrong - it would put an awful lot of properties under water.

The NMM looks really bad just for the next 3 days, Thursday looks worrying

Posted Image

Accumulations over next 3 days (only a small amount is what we've had today)

Posted Image

Severe flooding surely if that comes off.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

The NMM looks really bad just for the next 3 days, Thursday looks worrying

Posted Image

Accumulations over next 3 days (only a small amount is what we've had today)

Posted Image

Severe flooding surely if that comes off.

Sorry mod's, I am commenting on the above chart. I sat and watched an hour of the floods footage on Sunday morning after only hearing about them. After this weeks weather if above chart is correct then there must be a point when a state of emergency is called. Watching from Essex it is a poor situation, cant imagine being there.
Edited by StuieW
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

This is very serious, the Ecm 00z op run sends wave after wave of severe weather into the uk and the poor southwest continues to bear the brunt of the atlantic fury..very worrying times these, storm damage, power cuts and flooding which looks like becoming even worse if this run verifies. more COBRA meetings to come, many more.Posted Image Posted Image

post-4783-0-01599600-1391586159_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-23306500-1391586172_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-19846200-1391586182_thumb.pn

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

No change longer term on the models. All D10 charts uninspiring for a cold spell to arrive late February. D10 charts:

GFSpost-14819-0-22669000-1391585730_thumb.p  ECMpost-14819-0-20154400-1391585742_thumb.g GEM: post-14819-0-84850400-1391585754_thumb.p

London GEFS still hinting at cooler slack flow next week with some members indicating transient snow, but poor temps for Winter primetime: post-14819-0-50778100-1391585844_thumb.g

The GFS ens members are poor at the end of FI with mostly some sort of continuation of next weeks theme with little sign or scope (at the moment) for a HLB. The mean:

post-14819-0-86966300-1391586057_thumb.p Euro trough even showing that far out (mean low south Iceland), that should keep the upper temp lower so wintry opportunities for northern areas and altitude.

The GFS op shows the PV trying to regroup, and that reflects the majority of the GEFS:

post-14819-0-38175000-1391586378_thumb.p

So a window of opportunity for about a week from week 2 for some snow for the normal areas, but nothing substantive or with longevity. Rain remaining the watchword.

Edited by i'm dreaming of...
  • Like 1

Posted

ECM op has different profile of euro heights in fi, courtesy of the Azores ridging ne and the jet doesn't sink so far south. Consequently, a less impressive run for low heights and snow chances. Elevation + further north continuing to provide most interest in this regard.

not had time to look at the gefs yet but the graph looks better for next week.

• Like 1

Posted

I agree with the above summary.

The upper air charts still show no major pattern change, NOAA link below

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/610day/500mb.php

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

ECM op has different profile of euro heights in fi, courtesy of the Azores ridging ne and the jet doesn't sink so far south. Consequently, a less impressive run for low heights and snow chances. Elevation + further north continuing to provide most interest in this regard.

not had time to look at the gefs yet but the graph looks better for next week.

GEFS = Mr average / mild and very wet - quelle surprise...Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Zero indication of low level snow I'm afraid.Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Strongly disagree with Gibby, Purga posts this morning.

For starters the ensembles do not suggest mild.

http://cdn.nwstatic.co.uk/ensimages/ens.20140205/00/t850Cambridgeshire.png

Upper temps around -3C, low heights centred across the UK, disturbances within the circulation is a recipe for surprise snowfall even at lower levels. This is especially true if these disturbances occur overnight and under heavy precip. Also it is reasonable to assume that max temps could be just a few degrees above freezing. I personally consider temps of 10C to be mild at this time of year.

I do wish some members looked at the models in more detail rather than just assuming low pressure, W,lys equals mild & wet!

I agree with eits in that we are not looking at a mild outlook, there will be a lot of chopping and changing of airmasses between Tm / rPm & Pm and that it won't be mild or cold for any length of time, probably average temps for many. We have gone back to the stormy december pattern, indeed, this could be even more severe than before. 

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

GFS 00z is showing something less wet from the 13th to 21st

Posted Image

Accumulated totals to the 13th show further heavy rain for the south coast, parts of wales and Devon and Cornwall

Posted Image

The driest spots over the next 8 days in the UK are shown to be north east of England and north west Scotland where totals don't get above 20mm

• Like 1

Posted

Gfs 06z is again looking wintry for next week!!hopefully ecm backs it up later with a bit more disruption!!yesterdays ecm 12z looked good but this morning there is not as much disruption!!ukmo looks closer to the gfs which can only be a good thing!!

• Like 2

Posted

Big high building over Svaalbaard this run, just needs to.move a 1000 miles West!!