Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 25th Jan onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

and even across southern England too, reckon UKMO

Would this be the Thurs night low coming from the south?

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rukm601.gif

that would be a surprise if so,based on the DP,s around that period, if GFS modeling is to be relied on

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn6610.png

possibilities for lower level snow do look better next week if modeling verified.

what are the Met seeing Ian?

Edited by phil nw.
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Yes, it's nice to see the GFS showing sign's of something of a change to a weaker blocked Atlantic with the Jet pushing  South over France instead of right over us! as ECM hinted from yesterday also, a lot more rain to come yet this week especially for the South again. At least we have interest of a wintry note.. the further South these Lows swing the better, but a would't get to hung up on every run as there will be lots of swings through-out the models.

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 5

Posted

Tamara, i read that you feel that we need to see the zonal flow drop below 20m/s in the strat. at what level?  from my perspective, as mooted a couple of weeks ago, the strat conditions are no longer influencing the trop re prevention of HLB and also, without a marked reversal of zonal winds downwelling, re establishment of a strong -AO

the extended ens means have hinted at a mid month pattern change of sorts and the ops are now playing with solutions whereby we actually see some height rises to our north and northwest. whether these are transient and the jet restarts again soon afterwards remains uncertain.

something else thats caught my attention is the uppers on the GEM from the atlantic westerlies. they are continually shown  'warmed out' way west of where the ukmo/ecm/gfs have them. i wonder if  the gem model is missing a connect with sst's in the nw atlantic ??

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 4

Posted

You have to laugh really - just when everyone had thrown in the towel, the excellent Ian F, who has been bang on the money all winter, starts highlighting the possibility of snow in the near to medium term.

Many of us will be sceptical of a pattern change as it almost seems like the weather has always been and always will be stuck in this dire pattern.

But at some point it has to change. Still quite a bit of winter left so who knows? Could this winter surprise us after all? The models are hinting that it just might.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

You have to laugh really - just when everyone had thrown in the towel, the excellent Ian F, who has been bang on the money all winter, starts highlighting the possibility of snow in the near to medium term.

Many of us will be sceptical of a pattern change as it almost seems like the weather has always been and always will be stuck in this dire pattern.

But at some point it has to change. Still quite a bit of winter left so who knows? Could this winter surprise us after all? The models are hinting that it just might.

One word will sum their thoughts up I suspect and that'd be TRANSIENT snow at best I imagine, any would be good to see personally but that's just me. Posted Image Nonetheless, best wait to hear his view. All of this after this and early next week's rain and wind shenanigans. The eventual lessening impact of the raging zonal flow in conjunction with the Jet diving South will perhaps change things for the better before too long. Posted Image

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 1

Posted

A few nice Ensemble members starting to creap into the pack , albeit deep FI but still nice to see there starting to come up with different solutions .. A couple of the best ones are below ..

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: winter: cold spells, summer: (thunder)storms

At least we're getting rid of that  Alaskan block that kept pushing the cold air into the US

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

There is a means of clarifying terminology on this forum whereby a dotted line appears beneath a certain phrase and a brief explanation is given when you hover over the term - why not utilise this function more widely? I notice that it appears where acronyms are mentioned, such as the NAO, but it would be beneficial to members of all levels of experience in order to establish a common term and in turn to question its use where individuals feel it is being applied incorrectly. Just a thought :)

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Hmm not good, next monday we see another low taking the same track as the one at the end of this week. More rain for the south

Posted Image

Posted Image

And another one!!!!

Posted Image

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: winter: cold spells, summer: (thunder)storms

hmmm, pressure rising around Nova Zembla...retrograde Russian High?

at t+192

Posted Image

Posted

Hmm not good, next monday we see another low taking the same track as the one at the end of this week. More rain for the south

And another one!!!!

interestingly, the ecm op has mondays precip only affecting se uk and leaving some snowcover (possible but likely?). thereafter, the feature coming west to east leaves decent snowcover over the hills (inc exmoor/dartmoor). as steve alluded earlier, once we have a slack deep trough, as long as the systems dont deepen and mix out the layers, we could see snowfall at any time, even on low ground. settling would be quite another matter !

Well if that's in connection with this chart, that would be quite some rain to snow event! 

i think ian is referring to the showers that follow in the coldr lee flow rather than the back edge of the rain (although over high ground thats feasible)

• Like 5

Posted

Well if that's in connection with this chart, that would be quite some rain to snow event! 

Posted Image

No hints at all on bbc weather this eve for Friday or weekend re snow down here - still talking about copious amounts of rain.

I know some on here comment on their forecasts sometimes being behind the curve, but even with Ian's earlier comments are we really looking at a rain to snow event.....just yet?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

No hints at all on bbc weather this eve for Friday or weekend re snow down here - still talking about copious amounts of rain.

I know some on here comment on their forecasts sometimes being behind the curve, but even with Ian's earlier comments are we really looking at a rain to snow event.....just yet?

At the risk of sounding off topic, I feel folk are over analyzing and second guessing his words....Ian will no doubt appraise us on the Meto's thoughts at some stage this evening (won't be right now as he's probably on tv giving the points west forecast).....until such time best to concentrate on the actual output that we can interpret Posted Image

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

interestingly, the ecm op has mondays precip only affecting se uk and leaving some snowcover (possible but likely?). thereafter, the feature coming west to east leaves decent snowcover over the hills (inc exmoor/dartmoor). as steve alluded earlier, once we have a slack deep trough, as long as the systems dont deepen and mix out the layers, we could see snowfall at any time, even on low ground. settling would be quite another matter ! i think ian is referring to the showers that follow in the coldr lee flow rather than the back edge of the rain (although over high ground thats feasible)

Yes I have to admit when I looked at the ECM for early next week , with upper around -3/4 under a slack low pressure , especially if you have snow cover on any higher ground , may well end up quite a wintry week for some , higher the better obviously but things look to be going in the right direction , finally !

Posted

For well over a week now I have been touting a pattern change to one of more blocking or

amplification to the north and lows tracking further south with hopefully a decent continental

feed bringing cold uppers and finally a taste of winter. This is now starting to show in the model

output and is brought about by the ongoing strat warming.

Plenty of changes to come in the output as the models get to grips with this with the strongest

period of blocking probably the last two weeks of the month.

I know if I could take one week of proper cold wintry weather, laying snow etc from this awful

winter I will be happy.

• Like 7

Posted

There is the chance of Snow over the spine of the country tomorrow afternoon.

Posted Image

• Like 1

Without putting to much insight into the models there really is high potential for snow & snow cover in the models tonight- again though more especially over the hills of the midlands & pennines etc-

ANY shallow low that tracks across the UK in this type of set up-

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2014020412/ECU1-192.GIF?04-0

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2014020412/ECU0-192.GIF?04-0

With heights around 508 DAM & thickness around 528 DAM, will always be a recipe for snow over hills-

The UKS best chance of the winter for snow presents itself this weekend & more especially early next week.

Also Scotland looks very cold - with circa -4c air, low heights & thicknesses as well with a gentle southerly breeze.

S

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

Without putting to much insight into the models there really is high potential for snow & snow cover in the models tonight- again though more especially over the hills of the midlands & pennines etc-

ANY shallow low that tracks across the UK in this type of set up-

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2014020412/ECU1-192.GIF?04-0

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2014020412/ECU0-192.GIF?04-0

With heights around 508 DAM & thickness around 528 DAM, will always be a recipe for snow over hills-

The UKS best chance of the winter for snow presents itself this weekend & more especially early next week.

Also Scotland looks very cold - with circa -4c air, low heights & thicknesses as well with a gentle southerly breeze.

S

True Steve, early next week a chance for nearly all of the UK. No doubt enough precipitation about or knowing our luck, zero.

Posted Image

Edit: Oh maybe ;-)

Posted Image

Edited by StuieW