Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 25th Jan onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

The GEM at T192:  post-14819-0-20281500-1392139654_thumb.p

The GEFS at the same time do not have one member with a HLB off the east coast of Iceland. There are two UK MLBs and one Scandi High, the rest are split 70-30 zonal and transient ridging respectively. The mean:

post-14819-0-59331000-1392139792_thumb.p

So no sign of any support from the GFS re the blocking from GEM.

In the shorter term, the mean for Saturday's storm:  post-14819-0-73969500-1392140052_thumb.p

Members include:  post-14819-0-73578800-1392140163_thumb.p post-14819-0-51772400-1392140175_thumb.p 

Another nasty one.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Hmmm JMA, heavy snow for much of Northern England?

Posted Image

Edited by Mucka

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Well the ECM crashed trying to pull a cold maneuver

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Very interesting JMA run, cold/chilly and likely snowy for the North through the mid term and ends here.

Posted Image

Edited by Mucka

Posted

We have a split tonight- as usual

its the JMA & UKMO & GEM V ECM & then the GFS somewhere.

a lot of snow for the North though if the JMA & UKMO verify.

What a mess.

S

ECM Op is just on another of its mild rampages from the mid term it has made its own since the upgrade - toward the top end of the London ensembles after the cold blip is my guess.

That said I have mentioned the Azores high ridging over the UK as a possibility and even I would take milder if it came with more settled conditions even if it were more the reserve of the South.

Edited by Mucka

Posted

Sums up this winter, blink and the darn thing has refused the first hurdle.

That's a bizarre transition from T120 to T144hrs, I think the ECM may have lost the plot there and goes into my SSO(suspicious synoptic outcome) column as unlikely to verify as shown.

• Like 2

Posted

Unfortunately the 12z ECM is very similar to the 00z, so whatever spin we put on the outlook it is very likely to be near to the outcome I'm afraid

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

ECM at T216:  post-14819-0-74046700-1392144823_thumb.g

More respective of the ECM mean, T216 this morning: post-14819-0-36681200-1392144912_thumb.g

And also the GFS mean: post-14819-0-31746000-1392144843_thumb.p

The GEM looks out of kilter and the JMA doing what it did with the non-slider of a week or two ago.

The most likely scenario, as the ens have been consistent on for run after run, is a slacker zonal flow with intermittent ridging.

Edited by i'm dreaming of...
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

After showing a bit of cold potential ECM goes pretty mild for a while

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

A flat zonal pattern ensues with at least some relief from the drenchings in the south of the country

Posted

That's a bizarre transition from T120 to T144hrs, I think the ECM may have lost the plot there and goes into my SSO(suspicious synoptic outcome) column as unlikely to verify as shown.

Fishy indeed and it is flat as a pancake in its latter stages, I feel I'm dreaming has it well summed up "slacker zonal flow with intermittent ridging." and while it may get me more flak I suspect the GFS is not far of the mark. The GEM is great but I'd bet my house it won't happen, the UKMO shapes up well but its 144hr output never fills me with confidence.

• Like 1

Posted

let's just say (hypothetically) that it does verify as shown. it ends with a very different pattern to what we have now.

now-

Posted Image

the PV has shifted considerably. what happens after this?

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

let's just say (hypothetically) that it does verify as shown. it ends with a very different pattern to what we have now.

now-

Posted Image

the PV has shifted considerably. what happens after this?

Posted Image

It rains? :-)

I agree with the view that GEM is unlikely. You would expect at least a nod from some of the GEFS.

Will be interesting to see if the GEM ensembles back up the opp when they update.

Edited by Jason M

Posted

Fishy indeed and it is flat as a pancake in its latter stages, I feel I'm dreaming has it well summed up "slacker zonal flow with intermittent ridging." and while it may get me more flak I suspect the GFS is not far of the mark. The GEM is great but I'd bet my house it won't happen, the UKMO shapes up well but its 144hr output never fills me with confidence.

I think the GEM solution can probably be kicked out as its been useless at that range this winter, the JMA looks more plausible, the GEFS has been criticized for the central USA by NCEP so I'd give those a wide berth. The ECM operational run moves a chunk of low heights across Norway this suppresses the small ridge to the north and isn't supported by any of the other operationals at the T120 to T144hr range.The UKMO is similar to the JMA, I think that combo is the more likely outcome.

• Like 1

Posted

There seems to be a lot of potential (yes that word again) around the t120 to t168 mark for

amplification to the north. Until the models agree on the amount of amplification it is hard to

judge what will happen beyond this time frame. Another 24hours modeling should give a

clearer picture as to where we are headed in the next week or so.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

They haven't looked at the ECM or 06GFS then.....UKMO has a very nasty system, be interesting to see what comes out of this.  I doubt it'll be over then, more to come I feel around middle next week too.

BFTP

Although it would be nice to see UKMO, GEM and some extent JMA I feel that we're up the garden path...for at least longevity or change.  Posted above in media headlines thread...I'm anticipating another storm around middle next week on towards weekend.

BFTP

Posted

Theres been some modification to the UKMO raw output on the T72hrs fax chart, unusual to see the UKMO making such a large change at that range, the low is weaker and further to the sw.

post-1206-0-60997900-1392148196_thumb.gi

post-1206-0-44407700-1392148220_thumb.gi

Given the position of the low there unless theres some rapid deepening then its track should be adjusted further south on tonights T96hrs fax chart.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 7

Posted

I think the GEM solution can probably be kicked out as its been useless at that range this winter, the JMA looks more plausible, the GEFS has been criticized for the central USA by NCEP so I'd give those a wide berth. The ECM operational run moves a chunk of low heights across Norway this suppresses the small ridge to the north and isn't supported by any of the other operationals at the T120 to T144hr range.The UKMO is similar to the JMA, I think that combo is the more likely outcome.

It could be Nick, I guess the story of the winter so far has been no matter what we think may happen or whatever the models have shown from time to time the Atlantic just steams back in, I just have a hunch that it’s going to do it to us again and desperately hope I’m wrong. Like it, loathe, find it interesting or not, this winter has been extraordinary, I can’t remember anything like it. 

• Like 3

Posted

You wouldnt say that the gem op is without support from its ens.

Any news from the extended ecm ensembles BA?

Just wondering "what happened next" post 240 hrs.

Posted

Any news from the extended ecm ensembles BA?

Just wondering "what happened next" post 240 hrs.

Posted ImageEDH101-240.gif

Too early cloud. Weatherbell is usually slow to update. The dutch extended appear to show similar to the 00z run. Perhaps a 20% chance of wintry in the 10/15 period.
  • Like 2