Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 25th Jan onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Well yes but very fleetingly and in the usual places i.e. northern hills etc - you're probably too young to remember the hymn 'hills of the north rejoice' Posted Image

Age doesn't rule our ability to understand what the models are in fact showing, however. SM's post above yours is a very realistic representation of things as they stand, wouldn't you agree? Your posts could be interpreted as somewhat IMBY which is fine but I'm in an equally snowless location as is SM for example and we just need to get the balance right and the original post to which I responded was a bit misleading. Thanks for liking my post in the meantime BTW. Posted Image

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,

Sorry wrong chart!

Edited by Nicholas B

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

If the models were showing a high potential of snow this week I would have thought there'd have been more posts. Steve are we sure some aren't straw clutching??

I don't think Steve was in anyway implying high potential of snow this week, Just saying some potential of elevated snow especially for Wales Northern Britain! Anyway, we all know want a cold ramper Steve is!!!Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

I think it is pretty likely that the models are just overdoing the lows for next week, and I am even more confident about this after seeing the latest JMA model again get rid of the one on Tuesday and swing back to one on Thursday-Friday.

Flooding and rain looks to again be the main concern, however their are signs of the weather becoming more settled finally in a few weeks time.

• Like 4

Posted

I think it is pretty likely that the models are just overdoing the lows for next week, and I am even more confident about this after seeing the latest JMA model again get rid of the one on Tuesday and swing back to one on Thursday-Friday.

Flooding and rain looks to again be the main concern, however their are signs of the weather becoming more settled finally in a few weeks time.

Whilst I completely agree that the "worst case scenario" lows have failed materialise until now, I think there is enough cross-model agreement tonight on a strong to severe storm Wednesday/Thursday, as shown below:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

(UKMO hard to read as it would have peaked around T84)

Posted Image

Even GFS ensembles are in on the act:

Posted Image

Possible severity ranges: severe gale to storm force.

Areas affected: Anywhere in England/Wales except possibly east coasts north of the wash? - most at risk are the usual places, which are the South West, southern counties, south and west Wales.

• Like 2

Posted

Oh a separate note...on EURO4 model, impressive uppers for a westerly by T48:

Posted Image

GFS tells a similar story at T48 and by T57 gives us this:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Looking good for snow north of a line from the Brecon Beacons to The Wash, that is if you can catch a shower:

Posted Image

Longer term, chances of a change next weekend particularly on GFS/ECM to something drier, though how long for is uncertain. A small possibility that a decent enough ridge might build through the Atlantic allowing a brief window for northerlies? 

• Like 3

Posted

Ecm keeps most of the precipitation as snow!!850 temps are between -4 and -6 in the heart of the precipitation band!!just taken a look at it on the icelandic metoffice website!!

Posted

Ecm keeps most of the precipitation as snow!!850 temps are between -4 and -6 in the heart of the precipitation band!!just taken a look at it on the icelandic metoffice website!!

Sorry Shaky, when/whereabouts will this be snow according to ECM?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down
Hi everyone. Will the improvements of this morning be built upon tonight? Here is my take on that very question as I review the latest outputs of the NWP based on their midday outputs for today Sunday February 9th 2014.

All models show the weekend Low pressure now filling to the North while another tracks East to the South with the UK falling under an area of slack pressure for the next 36 hours. Some rain or wintry showers will still be scattered about, particularly near Western coasts and with some light rain for a time in the SE tomorrow morning. On Tuesday an active front moves East with strong winds ahead of it together with another spell of heavy rain and snow over the hills and in the North. By Wednesday the UK lies under a cold and showery Westerly flow with wintry showers giving some snowfall over hills, again chiefly in the North. Then overnight Wednesday into Thursday another active weather feature moves across the UK with renewed rain and gales followed by showers once more later in the day.

GFS then ends the week with further Low pressure, gales and heavy rain before the weather improves somewhat late in the weekend though with some showers in the North as Low pressure moves further North than of late with Higher pressure to the South. Through the lower resolution part of the run tonight High pressure again features eventually settling over the UK with rather cold weather with frost and fog at night but dry for most.

The GFS Ensembles tonight offer two weeks of fairly average values though after the mid point of the run this is made up from a wide spread between members with some very cold options being shown including the control run. Rainfall remains stubbornly present over the period but not as excessive as of late. 

UKMO shows next Saturday as a very showery and rather chilly day as Low pressure is positioned out in the North Sea with strong West veering NW winds through the day. A ridge of High pressure over the Atlantic on Saturday should give a drier interlude next Sunday.

GEM tonight shows no relief of note within it's output period with intense Low pressure with attendant severe gales and rain give way to further unsettled weather with rain and showers at times thereafter. rather cold weather with snow on the hills next weekend will probably give way to slightly milder weather as we enter Week 2.

NAVGEM also shows little signs of change next weekend with any rise of pressure limited or muted in the face of further troughs and rain at times to end the run early next week.

ECM tonight shows the unsettled period lessening as we move into next week as at long last something of a ridge moves up from the SW pushing the rain bearing systems on more of their usual route towards Iceland and affecting the NW most while the South and East see something of a much more meaningful respite.

The ECM 9 and 10 Day Mean Charts show an improvement to those of late but not as good as i would like to see to guarantee drier weather over the UK. The charts both show a bias towards Low pressure to the NW and an unstable SW flow over the UK enabling further rain bearing troughs to cross the UK from the SW at times.

The GFS Jet Stream Forecast shows no change to the flow this week, maintained in it's current position South of the UK. Through Week 2 the flow buckles and becomes much more ill defined with time with no coherent pattern indicated.

In Summary tonight there is still an element of improvement still shown from some output, more notably from GFS and ECM. We must remember though we are talking about periods of time outside of the reliable time period still and it won't be until we are nearing midweek that we need the above improvements to still be shown, by which time they can be taken more seriously. In the mean time there is another week or so of misery and more heavy rain and indeed snow for some to get through which is far from welcome before 'maybe' we can look forward to something better.
  • Like 9

Posted

Real poor form from the ECMWF with regard to the 12z postage maps not updating yet on an important evening for them.

I know it sounds paranoid but i do get the sense the ECMWF do actually actively try to hide their data, and give as little to the public as possible. Disgraceful really considering they are funded by the our national Meteorologicial Institutions which are largely funded by the tax payer (Met Eireann certainly is, UK MetOffice a bit different).

Still, the data should be made available, at the end of the day, if we share data, improvements in forecasting and modelling will follow.

• Like 3

Posted

Instead of making that type of comment without any foundation why not pm then politely and ask why their output is late today? Ask also if they could make more data freely available, I am sure they will give an objective but polite reply to both?

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 2

Posted

Instaead of making that type of comment without any foundation why not pm then politely and ask why their output is late today? Ask also if they could make more data freely available, I am sure they will give an objective but polite reply to both?

Any foundation? The foundation is the lack of data in general. Obviously tonight's data not updating is very unlikely to be deliberate. I am just outlining my views that the amount of data provided to the public from the ECMWF is not adequate. I much prefer a model based on the free data concept from the US. Obviously i know there are reasons for these decisions but I am sure most of them are financially motivated and not for the good of forecasting improvements which would inevitably result if they provided all their data free to the public.

- + This is a discussion forum to outline views and opinions! 

--- By the way obviously i know the ECMWF do amazing work and have done much ground breaking research. It is their data policy i am unhappy with.

Edited by Matty M
  • Like 2

Posted

- + This is a discussion forum to outline views and opinions! 

of course it is Matty hence my suggestion that you ask the folk involved, no one on here can answer your query or possibly really understand what the reasons for not allowing all their data to be in the public domain, not unlike UK Met.

further to your last comment as part of the discussion, how would the release of all their data to the public improve forecasting levels?

I would suggest rather than 'inevitably' that possibly would be a better comment on the reality of this suggestion?

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

GFS 18z @60hrs  looking a bit deeper and perhaps more room to track further north than the 12z.

Posted Image

Not at all :(

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

The difference is stark!

12z

Posted Image

18z

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

Wow some posts are like reading war and peace.....cliff notes people

My input on the models? Windy mid week. Your welcome :-)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

The difference is stark!

12z

Posted Image

18z

Posted Image

That is one powerful storm to the south-west of us.Posted Image It be just as worse as St Jude''s if this comes along.

Edited by pip22

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Wow some posts are like reading war and peace.....cliff notes people

That explains why the Army has been brought into several parts of Southern England over recent days then, with all that war going on, they quite rightly need to attempt to restore the peace. Posted Image

One more week of mayhem hopefully and then something different come the final third of February perhaps. Posted Image

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 5