Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 25th Jan onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.

Not much love from GFS as it shows another big storm valentines day Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Yikes! If that comes off valentines day, its beans on toast on a stove under rubble instead of champagne and oysters!

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: what's the bloody point when you live in Britain

Not much love from GFS as it shows another big storm valentines day Posted Image

good excuse not to go out and pay for an expensive meal!!
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Wintry potential still there for Tuesday afternoon through Wednesday morning across the output with possible back edge snow from the main front and wintry showers following behind.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Otherwise remaining very unsettled with further strong winds and rain at least to mid month and possibly beyond.

• Like 2

Posted

Afternoon all :)

GEM joins the St Valentine's Day Storm Party:

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gem/runs/2014020812/gem-0-150.png?12

More severe than GFS but both concerning while UKMO at T+144 plays a different though still very unsettled tune.

GFS in low-res suggests the jet moving back north and drier conditions for the south but that's a long way off in model terms and may yet change.

The secondary feature for Monday looks to be passing well to the south on GEM but moves back NE on GFS which is obviously providing some interest.

Posted

Bloody nora...

Posted Image

The good thing is that these 'super storms' aren't getting inside T120, perhaps a sign that a tendency to overplay their severity is going on. Neither GFS nor UKMO showing anything exceptionally bad for Tuesday/Wednesday now.
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

GFS ensembles (snow risk for NW England shows at 95% Tuesday evening - highest thus far and though these are notoriously poor forecasting tools it is  a way to gauge whether chances are improving or receding, according to GFS at least)

NW England

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&x=233&y=40

SE England

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&x=289&y=122

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Yet another woeful GFS run to add to the list of many! - does anybody know why depressions are deepening like crazy fairly close to the UK? are the SST's abnormally high for this time of year, understand the cyclogenisis of the coast of the cold United States but this is another thing!

Getting quite tedious hunting for any real cold I really do believe it's game over, dire winter!

Edited by Froze were the Days

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

GFS ensembles (snow risk for NW England shows at 95% Tuesday evening - highest thus far and though these are notoriously poor forecasting tools it is  a way to gauge whether chances are improving or receding, according to GFS at least)

NW England

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&x=233&y=40

SE England

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&x=289&y=122

I often like to read your analysis of things me ole Mucka Posted Image , but I'm not sure why you think they're (the ensembles spreads) notoriously poor forecasting tools when in the netweather guides, it states the following.

Many leading agencies now believe that ensemble forecasting is the way forward for anything beyond 5 days – and sometimes even shorter.

I personally use them and have done with great success in the past, as they often enable you to pick out specific dates for given weather events within the reliable timeframe. It may be that you're referring to the GFS and its more usual traits of exaggerating things such as deep lows and/or its default zonal tendencies, also the way it differs from one run to another. Anyway, moving on, no respite from the current pattern state, bar the potential back edge snow event on Tuesday evening, its a strong case of de ja vu. Perhaps eventually (mid Feb onwards) there will be a better chance of more drier interludes than actual rain days, now wouldn't that be most welcome. Posted Image

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 4

This situation with a strong, stable polar vortex concentrated around Hudson Bay Canada, pumping fridged air into the Central and East of the US reminds me of a very similar situation some years ago, when I lived on the US East coast.  I can't recall the exact year, it must have been early 2000's, (2001, 2002 or 2003), when this ice machine switched on around end December and lasted well into March.  It was bitterly cold then and I felt there was no end in sight to the cold. I remember I longed for temperatures to rise above freezing.  The last remnants of snow were still visible in early May. Also then, Western Europe experienced the opposite, extremely mild winter.  It might be fun to look at the archives in those years and identlfy the relevant patters and see how it evolved.  It could be very similar this year, which means, sorry, no winter, at least not in the lower lying areas..

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

I'm surprised no one has posted the maximum wind gust charts from the GFS, look away now! VERY dangerous storm :O

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

ECM 72 hr....snow risk Midlands?

Posted Image

And us down south start flying around! ;)
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.

ECM says sod waiting for everyone to get loved up and throws in a storm on the 13th Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: winter: cold spells, summer: (thunder)storms

And we're getting our share too in the Low Countries...Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted

ECM says sod waiting for everyone to get loved up and throws in a storm on the 13th Posted Image

UKMO is less stormy down south on the 13th:

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ukmo2.php?nh=0&ech=120&carte=1021

And like the UKMO, the ECM leaves the 14th relatively wind free: Posted Image

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf.php?ech=144&mode=1&map=0&type=0&archive=0

Edited by Buzz

Posted

A closer look at ECM T72 - only affects a small part of the UK but - oh - my - goodness -

Posted Image

According to this chart, near-on hurricane force winds in the English Channel surely. Thank goodness this isn't backed-up by GFS/UKMO. Turns out forecasting a late-developing low is as hard as forecasting snow.

Posted

The vortex has been nowhere near the UK this winter and is wrong  to suggest otherwise.

The models are showing some amplification to the north and northeast but the ECM is still outside

the timeframe when this will be beneficial for the UK I think. It will be several days yet before we

see more consistent signs of a more wintry flavour to the output for the UK.

Of course these are just my thoughts on how things may develope based on the warming that is taking

place in the mid to upper stratosphere. If we are not to see a worthwhile potent wintry period either

before winters end or the first half of spring then hopefully we will see a quick transition to a very mild

and dry spring and summer.