Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Out to t216 and low pressure remains dominant on ECM

Posted ImagePosted Image

ECM at t240 not interested in anything remotely settled unlike GFS and GEM

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

Looks as if we've paid for the last few winters (and loads of decent blocking set ups) finally with this wash out of a zonal onslaught - weather has a way of balancing itself out unfortunately - hopefully that means we'll get a decent one again next year - long range low solar input and general agreement on a slide in temps over the coming few decades should mean more winters will proceed to be cold (we can but hope) - but this one is about to be assigned to the recycle bin - and hope of an early dryer spring is now on our minds!

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

2nd time today the rainfall totals longer term look like they could ease across the UK but before that we have another wet week coming up taking us to the 8th from the 8th to 16th is when we have hints of lighter rain than of late

Posted Image

As I said next week sees more heavy rain with over 100mm possible for parts the south west of England and wales

Totals to 12pm on the 8th

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

Even only up to 72 hours on the WRF-NMM it looks very wet for places especially the west. 80mm+ in places, a bit more than that over county Galway, Kerry, Mayo over in Ireland. Obviously this model counts what we have already seen today which has been very wet in places.

Posted Image

Edited by Gaz1985
  • Like 1

Posted

Just the way it goes sometimes, you win some and you lose some and unfortunately all the blocking we had during January only affected us very briefly that in the end, it just came and went with a wimper really. 

Lets not forget that last March bought considerable lying snow so whilst we are approching the last month of winter, the snowfall season is not over for a while yet however as others pointed out, there is no real sign of anything significant in terms of cold and once again, it be the wind and rain that be making the headlines unfortunately. 

I really would not mind a deep low but all the lows have been deep rounded low pressure systems and on a local POV they don't tend to generate that strong gusts of winds, could do with the flow coming from the West/WNW'ly direction with tighly packed isobars so the winds can whip up on the lee of the Pennines. 

Potential for a very deep low pressure system to hit the UK during next week looks quite high, although a lot of uncertainty in terms of all the detail. That said, this weekend's deep low pressure system is going to pack quite a punch so on a weather enthusiasts point of view, still some interest in the weather. 

Posted

To borrow Fergies phrase, this feature to the SW could be bothersome....

That could drop stupendous amounts of rain!! Posted Image

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?&ech=144&mode=0

Edit - here she comes 

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?&ech=144&mode=2

Edited by Jason M
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

To borrow Fergies phrase, this feature to the SW could be bothersome....

That could drop stupendous amounts of rain!! Posted Image

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?&ech=144&mode=0

Edit - here she comes 

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?&ech=144&mode=2

Well it won't come off like 18Z shows, it shows the perfect track for snow for NW Midlands, will end up tracking further north

Posted

Well it won't come off like 18Z shows, it shows the perfect track for snow for NW Midlands, will end up tracking further north

Would be okay for welsh mountains maybe, but 850s and maritime nature of airmass would mean rain for 99% of people. I do accept GFS implies some snow, but in my opinion that's rain and I don't care what GFS says as it constantly overplays snowfall!! (all my opinion of course Posted Image )

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Would be okay for welsh mountains maybe, but 850s and maritime nature of airmass would mean rain for 99% of people. I do accept GFS implies some snow, but in my opinion that's rain and I don't care what GFS says as it constantly overplays snowfall!! (all my opinion of course Posted Image )

Agree rain for 99% because 18Z will have track wrong

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

A short period of high pressure (48 hours max) and then back to the westerly dross? Yeah I had that idea too. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

My word, look at how GFS wants to start summer over Spain and the Med. 15c uppers widely :O. Could we see a plume lol !

• Like 3

Posted

A short period of high pressure (48 hours max) and then back to the westerly dross? Yeah I had that idea too. 

hmm maybe, maybe not. Some GEM ensembles were playing with this sort of scenario at a similar timeframe. Also need to factor in the GFS low res tendency to default to zonal. Worth just keeping an eye over the next few days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

I think by march or april we should feel the benefits of strat warming with the most wintry spell since....erm...last spring, yeah you have to laugh, massive northern blocking just in time to ruin mid / late spring and summer.

• Like 3