Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Stephen Hawking: 'There are no black holes'

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Notion of an 'event horizon', from which nothing can escape, is incompatible with quantum theory, physicist claims.Most physicists foolhardy enough to write a paper claiming that “there are no black holes†— at least not in the sense we usually imagine — would probably be dismissed as cranks. But when the call to redefine these cosmic crunchers comes from Stephen Hawking, it’s worth taking notice. In a paper posted online, the physicist, based at the University of Cambridge, UK, and one of the creators of modern black-hole theory, does away with the notion of an event horizon, the invisible boundary thought to shroud every black hole, beyond which nothing, not even light, can escape.http://www.nature.com/news/stephen-hawking-there-are-no-black-holes-1.14583

• Like 6

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France

Until I read that article I accepted the theory of black holes without any question but thinking about it; we do not understand exactly what dark energy and dark matter are, only that measurements of gravity and the movements of stars and galaxies etc suggests that they exist. In addition, despite a hell of a lot work nobody yet has come up with a theory which unites quantum mechanics with the physics as we understand it.

As far as my little brain can work out at the moment there is such a lot we do not know about things which may or may not have an effect on these theories so we cannot be that certain of the nature of black holes.

It's all very confusing but a great challenge for the physicists.

• Like 1

Posted

I think they are just trying to scare us with theory of black holes dark energy,dark matter its all so dark.

There are probably blacks holes out there and probably very tiny black holes or portals everwhere in space,they could be white holes for all we know just invisible to to naked eye and telescopes,if dark matter as what it said on brian cox the other week 95% dark matter we are just the iceing on the cake.

Edited by Snowyowl9