Sign in to follow this  
Summer Sun

Police Officer took inmate on 140mph drive

Police Officer 'Drove Prisoner At 140mph'

A police officer accused of speeding at up to 140mph while transporting a prisoner has been disciplined. He was taking the prisoner from Leeds to Darlington in a marked BMW when the pair chatted about the car’s powerful motor and the driver was asked how fast it could go. The Durham Police officer is then alleged to have replied “I’ll show you†or “let’s see†and accelerated away, reaching 140mph. The Northern Echo reported that when they arrived at Darlington police station, the prisons told the officer at the custody desk how fast they had been going. Supt Darren Ellis, head of professional standards and legal services, said: "We are aware of this complaint which concerns an allegation of a marked police vehicle being driven at an excess and inappropriate speed whilst transporting a prisoner back from Leeds into our force area.

"There were no other reports from members of the public reporting the police vehicle being driven at high speed, or dangerously. "The force has taken this allegation very seriously, the PC in question has been moved permanently from roads policing duties, has been handed a formal sanction under the Police Misconduct Procedures and is subject to an action plan concerning risk management and decision making. "His licence has been suspended including any pursuit capability, he will have to go through a driving school reassessment before returning to full operational duties.†The law allows police, ambulance and fire service drivers to exceed the speed limit - but only in emergencies.

http://news.sky.com/story/1200415/police-officer-drove-prisoner-at-140mph

The make and model of the speeding police car is not known. However, Durham Constabulary uses BMW 330D, 530D, X3 and X5 vehicles all capable of 140mph.

Edited by Summer Sun

Police Officer 'Drove Prisoner At 140mph'

A police officer accused of speeding at up to 140mph while transporting a prisoner has been disciplined. He was taking the prisoner from Leeds to Darlington in a marked BMW when the pair chatted about the car’s powerful motor and the driver was asked how fast it could go. The Durham Police officer is then alleged to have replied “I’ll show you†or “let’s see†and accelerated away, reaching 140mph. The Northern Echo reported that when they arrived at Darlington police station, the prisons told the officer at the custody desk how fast they had been going. Supt Darren Ellis, head of professional standards and legal services, said: "We are aware of this complaint which concerns an allegation of a marked police vehicle being driven at an excess and inappropriate speed whilst transporting a prisoner back from Leeds into our force area.

"There were no other reports from members of the public reporting the police vehicle being driven at high speed, or dangerously. "The force has taken this allegation very seriously, the PC in question has been moved permanently from roads policing duties, has been handed a formal sanction under the Police Misconduct Procedures and is subject to an action plan concerning risk management and decision making. "His licence has been suspended including any pursuit capability, he will have to go through a driving school reassessment before returning to full operational duties.†The law allows police, ambulance and fire service drivers to exceed the speed limit - but only in emergencies.

http://news.sky.com/story/1200415/police-officer-drove-prisoner-at-140mph

The make and model of the speeding police car is not known. However, Durham Constabulary uses BMW 330D, 530D, X3 and X5 vehicles all capable of 140mph.

Well strictly exceeding the NSP also includes training where generally on the advanced driving course the 70 mph limit does not apply and this gives the opportunity to train to a high standard, however it like everything else, use it or loose it - I think it is quite unfair and possibly dangerous to train somebody up to this standard, then be restricted, possibly for months on end until one of these emergencies arise and expect the driver to retain the same level as he had on the course.

When I was in the situation of driving the response car I would on occasions exceed this limit on quite times and roads to keep my hand in as it were, and I believe that this is needed to maintain the same high level of competency required - to drive at high speed does require a different technique to that gained from trundling down the M1 on a Sunday afternoon with your wife and family. Above all absolutely 100% concentration is needed.

I did get a nutting once when I managed Tring Police Station to Hemel Hempstead Station in about 11 minutes, maintaining an average of something like 60 mph and my observer told the sergeant. :( - thoroughly enjoyed the drive and it was safe :) 

As I have always said, it is not speed on its own that kills but it is INAPPROPRIATE SPEED - if it was that dangerous I cannot see a lot of the officers volunteering for these duties, most of the all the driving instructors who are instructing day and day out.