Sign in to follow this  
Kiwi

Ukraine Unrest

^ exactly this. I have spoken to people from Ukraine and they can confirm the media has pumped this up as they usually do.

99% of people in eastern Ukraine want to be Russian. It will happen.

99% of people in eastern Ukraine want to be Russian. It will happen.

Really?? 99%   ...you sound like you're reading from the Crimean or N Korean election results!

Most in the east of the country are Russian Speakers but not Ethnic Russian. Not suprising when until the end of Soviet rule in 1991 Russian was the compulsory language in all Ukranian schools business, media etc and without it you wouldn't get very far!...a very effective tool in  Russification of the countries which they occupied.

• Like 2

99% of people in Eastern Ukraine do not want to to be part of Russia. What a load of tosh.

Brits on Alert...

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ukraine-crisis/brits-alert-russian-destroyer-approaches-u-k-n88406

Pesky Russians testing us. Albeit to quabble the fearmongering it happens all the time.

Edited by R.P. McMurphy

Russian forces including Artilery are literally meters from the Ukrainian Border.... Calling it "Major Exercises".....

Just to show where they currently are building heavily:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Gukovo/@48.0462556,39.9332077,14z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x40e1fbb7bc731f37:0xf9db5be1eeda417a

NATO sources - currently about 20,000 Russian troops on the move.

Confirmed now, they are relocating all troops to the border regions. Kiev feels an invasion is imminent and have stopped all actions elsewhere. They are not returning to barracks but rushing to border zones.

Sorry have to keep editing, lots of info coming in to me here.

Kiev govt is talking urgently to NATO, USA and allies and are preparing for a full scale invasion in the coming hours.

Putin to address the nation within the hour.

Edited by R.P. McMurphy
  • Like 1

Any idea if RT are broadcasting this address live?

http://rt.com/news/154588-russia-drill-ukraine-operation/

Hi Kiwi,

I would imagine so yes. 18:30 Moscow time i'm being told. Joint statement with Lavrov too.

Although nothing is on the formal press channels about a Putin speech/statement yet, but sources saying there will be.

Lets wait and see.

The UKR interior ministry have just said they are surrounding Mariupol city hall with over 100 national guard. Russians are also right at the border fences now.

Edited by R.P. McMurphy

These seem like the most serious of developments in the last coupe of weeks, let's hope it's all rhetoric and scaremongering and not going to escalate any further.

These seem like the most serious of developments in the last coupe of weeks, let's hope it's all rhetoric and scaremongering and not going to escalate any further.

Indeed.

Found a tweet:

GrahamWPhillips‏@GrahamWP_UK·1 minUkrainian channels switched off, civilians warned to prepare for attack here. Mayor welcomes Russian military op.

I'm trying to confirm that, but not heard anything of the sort.

http://rt.com/on-air/

Can also confirm the tweet:

GrahamWPhillips‏@GrahamWP_UK·1 minUkrainian channels switched off, civilians warned to prepare for attack here. Mayor welcomes Russian military op.

Is genuine.

Turchynov says the Ukrainian's military anti-terrorists operations will continue despite Putin advising he will take action if they don't.

Is Putin the kind of man to back down?

Edited by R.P. McMurphy
  • Like 1

All I'm trying to point out Chubby is that there were times, especially in the 60's when things were worse, especially with things like the Cuban Missile crisis. and in the 70's my house was a relatively short distance from the NATO base at Northwood, which if things did go tits up, was bound to be a target and with both this base and my house being relatively high, all there was between that and us was fresh air. I thought about it once or twice but for the majority of the time just got on with my life,

I think the end game will be Russia actually occupying Eastern Ukraine -they virtually do now -, then after a bit of a conflab the new status quo will be accepted.

I know what happened in the old days thanks very much...and so you remember the 70s ?, so what..and you lived near a target ?.so what. we lived near GCHQ in Cheltenham. BOOM. 

Not really sure what Russia are doing here. By taking Crimea they prodded the west so it's unlikely they'll go willy nilly through Ukraine. They decoupled stuff from the dollar but Russia's unimportant economically to the USA.

Hard to see what Putin is really trying to achieve here since he won't attack NATO.

I think the Russian media is making too much of the Chinese-Russian stuff though, if China breaks the dollar properly then the US defaults on $3tn worth of debt, China's economy collapses as well and there's a war that China can't win (assuming no nukes). There's also no way Brazil and India would go against the USA (especially India).

I think the Ukraine is playing a game of chance here. To save face they've had to take some action but if they push to far they may find that the west is may not back them as far as they think.

Disappointed in the EU after creating this issue they have done very little to resolve it and seem to be letting things escalate and don't seem to have a clue what to do next.

• Like 1

As against Russia Today who are of course completely objective and without bias.

They are all as bad as eachother. RT is run by the Government of Russia. It's pure propaganda. Same as BBC, ITV, CNN, FOX etc - They tell you what they WANT you to hear.

It's funny. I got told on the ground the Helicopter got shot down. Sky news are running with the story it was a technical fault... Why the discrepanices? Propaganda.That was a live story... Even though their website says "RPG".. Hmmm

Kiev is still expecting an invasion from Russia at a moments notice.

Edited by R.P. McMurphy
  • Like 2

Chairman of Russian Council has called on Putin NOT to go into Ukraine.

And on the other side... Ukrainian Defence Minister Parubly says "We are now in a state of war"...

It's also worth noting that Russia can invoke article 51 of the charter.

Is Russia the enemy?

The enemy of who mate?

Just come in, Germany has lost contact with OSCE monitors... Could be something, could be nothing.

Edited by R.P. McMurphy

Just the worst kind of journalism on Russia Today right now with some awful debate between 3 people who continually talk over each other. I've been glued to the news on this since the start and quite frankly RT do themselves no favours in the style of journalism they dish out. It's about as biased as it gets and does nothing to clear the rather muddy waters.

It's hard to get a clear picture. It does look increasingly likey that we will see civil war in the Ukraine and if that happens, diplomacy will struggle to keep up with events on the ground, it has already struggled, partly because in order to negotiate, you have to have the right people round the table, last week's events demonstrated that there was one key faction missing from the diplomatic effort and that is representatives of the people who have illegally occupied and still occupy government buildings in Eastern Ukraine. The Russians have lit the fire in their actions in Crimea but I really don't think that they are in control of events now. I rather suspect that they feel things have got a bit out of hand?

The enemy of who mate?

Just come in, Germany has lost contact with OSCE monitors... Could be something, could be nothing.

God MSN media are slow on this. BBC starting to pick it up now, two OSCE monitors are missing. Not good.

Seen on twitter news feeds X4 of the hostages are German military.

Not confirmed on ground from anyone.

Putin worries me. :( It's always worth remembering that some of the most evil people in history (and definitely those that have caused crime on a massive scale) have been politicians.

The problem is that he has been in power too long - even when he had a break from the presidency he was still holding power through his bosom pal. Generally speaking the longer they have power the more megalomaniac politicians become - as I understand it God has to make an appointment to speak to him now

Russia Today does not broadcast in Ukrainian or Russian.  It broadcasts in English, Spanish and Arabic.  The only thing RT does broadcast in Russian are its documentaries on its dedicated website: http://doc.rt.com/on-air/.  This is a tiny fraction of what the channel really does and its audience in Russia or the Ukraine is minute compared to the one of the big Russian TV channels.  So why did Kerry single our Russia Today?  The answer is obvious, of course, it is because Russia Today is a very popular TV channel outside Russia or the Ukraine.  According to Wikipedia,

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

The network's signal is carried by 22 satellites and over 230 operators, which allows some 644 million people to watch the channel in more than 100 countries. RT America is available to 85 million people in the United States.  In 2011 it was the second most-watched foreign news channel in the U.S. after BBC World News, and the number one foreign station in five major U.S. urban areas in 2012. It is also very popular among younger American people, U.S. college students, and in U.S. inner city neighborhoods. In 2013 RT has become the first TV news channel in history to reach 1 billion views on YouTube. According to the Broadcasters' Audience Research Board between 2.2–2.3 million Britons tuned their televisions to RT during the second half of 2012, making it the fourth-most watched rolling news channel in Britain, behind BBC News, Sky News and Al Jazeera English.

Remember the candid admission of Walter Isaacson, chairman of the Broadcasting Board of Governors, who openly declared that,

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

“We can't allow ourselves to be out-communicated by our enemies, you've got Russia Today, Iran's Press TV, Venezuela's TeleSUR, and of course, China is launching an international broadcasting 24-hour news channel with correspondents around the world [and has] reportedly set aside $6 -10 billion dollars – we have to go to Capitol Hill with that number – to expand their overseas media operations.â€

Just hearing that UA have switched on ADS (Air Defence System). Not sure if you heard but Russia has been violating UA airspace this week. The UA mil is also now on full alert, not sure what intel they have, whether it is movements or something else, or if it is just to bluff the Russians, but they have gone on to full alert. Not sure if there is anything in it yet, digging...